• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2021 at 8:38 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I reviewed several domestic distribution contracts a decade ago while writing a paper on movie theater profitability in grad school. One was the domestic distro agreement for Adam Sandler's Funny People.

More than that, I've actually signed a domestic distribution contract with Disney. Have you?

My point? As much as you're trying to call me a liar here on an anonymous comic book message board, I (similarly) think you're simply making up your theory that Disney somehow coerced theater companies into expanding the number of screens for Black Widow in week 2. What's your source for that?

You may be right, but I'm skeptical because - at least in the 1995-2010 era - that's overtly not how it worked.

If films expanded the number of screens early in a run (a la, say The Bourne Identity), it's because the theater owners themselves desired it, not the studios.

Unfortunately you're ignoring actual real news that went worldwide.

The Star Wars: The Last Jedi clause (2017 reality check)  was one of the biggest reveals how much studios attempt to strong-arm theaters at times. It was just so harsh in that case the event became very public because theaters reacted so negatively toward Disney's methods. So you dismissing it as a one-time event like only The Last Jedi had something special associated ignore facts.

Just like when I noted Disney forced critics to be more sensitive to speaking of their properties to the point it once again went too far in blocking The Los Angeles Times (2017 additional reality check) and that blew up on the studio, and you dismissed this as a one-time thing. Seeing a pattern? Anyone not wearing blinders would.

Meanwhile, you ask for facts - are presented facts - and then note how you reviewed some theater contracts years ago. Go figure why you don't acknowledge reality with these details.

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/24/2021 at 9:29 AM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately you're ignoring actual real news that went worldwide.

The Star Wars: The Last Jedi clause (2017 reality check)  was one of the biggest reveals how much studios attempt to strong-arm theaters at times. It was just so harsh in that case the event became very public because theaters reacted so negatively toward Disney's methods. So you dismissing it as a one-time event like only The Last Jedi had something special associated ignore facts.

Just like when I noted Disney forced critics to be more sensitive to speaking of their properties to the point it once again went too far in blocking The Los Angeles Times (2017 additional reality check) and that blew up on the studio, and you dismissed this as a one-time thing. Seeing a pattern? Anyone not wearing blinders would.

Meanwhile, you ask for facts - are presented facts - and then note how you reviewed some theater contracts years ago. Go figure why you don't acknowledge reality with these details.

No.

You're extrapolating (aka guessing, aka making sh*t up) based on a pair of 4-year old articles that were *specific to Star Wars: The Last Jedi.*

One of which - the "penalizing the LA Times for a poor review" clearly didn't do anything, given that the LA Times film reviewer basically trashed Black Widow.

Black Widow is not Star Wars. Or Avengers: Endgame, event films with such baked-in demand that Disney had outsized influence on distributors from the jump.

I simply disagree with your guess because it flies in the face of traditional movie theater economics - and the historical movie theater-distributor relationship, something I happen to know a bit about.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:49 PM, Gatsby77 said:

No.

You're extrapolating (aka guessing, aka making sh*t up) based on a pair of 4-year old articles that were *specific to Star Wars: The Last Jedi.*

One of which - the "penalizing the LA Times for a poor review" clearly didn't do anything, given that the LA Times film reviewer basically trashed Black Widow.

Black Widow is not Star Wars. Or Avengers: Endgame, event films with such baked-in demand that Disney had outsized influence on distributors from the jump.

I simply disagree with your guess because it flies in the face of traditional movie theater economics - and the historical movie theater-distributor relationship, something I happen to know a bit about.

You didn't even bother to read the articles, but would rather be awash in ignoring facts. 

Disney lifts ban on L.A. Times film critics

The statement followed declarations by the Los Angeles Film Critics Assn. (which includes Times staff writers), New York Film Critics Circle, Boston Society of Film Critics, National Society of Film Critics and Toronto Film Critics Assn. that Disney films would be ineligible for year-end awards consideration for as long as Times film critics were banned from advance screenings.

Disney was forced to lift the ban by having other reporting sites eliminate them from award recommendation articles or even being included in award events. So you think after that The Los Angeles Times would then bend over for future Disney reviews after it WON THE BATTLE??

:whatev:

You are purposely avoiding admitting what took place. And then hiding behind a statement like that as if Disney kindly lifted the ban as long as TLT played nice going forward.

But hey - I must be making sh*t up by presenting facts you then purposely ignore.

:troll:

On 7/25/2021 at 11:51 AM, paperheart said:

unless it finds its legs, won't reach 2.3x opening weekend ($184M); could be an MCU low multiple (neck & neck w/ Cap:CW)- $184M seems unlikely given its record to date and SS on 8/6.

A Quiet Place II on the heals of Black Widow. Who saw that coming??

On 7/25/2021 at 12:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

I look at that chart and see how badly Space Jam 2 is bombing:

Reported $170 million net budget, and the original did $140M / $90M / $230M

in 1996 dollars.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 7/25/2021 at 2:54 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I look at that chart and see how badly Space Jam 2 is bombing:

Reported $170 million net budget, and the original did $140M / $90M / $230M

in 1996 dollars.

That's because you ignore the initial part of the message...

200w.gif.9042104463b3c4b6a3284bb70459fd81.gif

(:

Edited by Bosco685

Theater count has gone up and slightly down over the weeks. But the revenue per theater average has gone down.

BW_TC01.thumb.PNG.e9dd41dd13042254eb64998b3d14cdf7.PNG

Or as Gatsby would refer to it, "Well The Flash was supposed to come out in 2016/2018, and I don't even think it is filming yet!" (:

On 7/25/2021 at 12:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

Only one of those films listed is on track to lose its studio $100M+ - and it's Space Jam 2.

And A Quiet Place 2 is not "on the heels" of Black Widow, given that it's been out for 3x as many weekends.

Black Widow is the fastest film to $150M domestic of the pandemic era.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Only one of those films listed is on track to lose its studio $100M+ - and it's Space Jam 2.

And A Quiet Place 2 is not "on the heels" of Black Widow, given that it's been out for 3x as many weekends.

Black Widow is the fastest film to $150M domestic of the pandemic era.

:roflmao:

You are too obvious