• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2021 at 10:08 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I have sold so many hulk 181s abs asm300s in the past 5 years that I prefer not to think about 

My dad sold all my good stuff in 2013 when I wasn't collecting anymore. Luckily he didn't sell my ASM300 but he sold my Superman #3, ASM#3 and #129 and TMNT#1:tonofbricks:

On 7/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, piper said:

I have no issues with the lawsuit.  If Disney is not aligning with the terms of the contract, then it is entirely ScarJo's right to pursue litigation.

I agree but the contract would have to be pretty specific in stating particular terms for her to win that lawsuit. Unless she was offered a % like RDJ (let's say a 10% bonus on the gross revenue if it hit $500 million in theater & Disney+ sales, which equates to $50 million lost revenue as her lawsuit claims) & the contract specifically claimed that there would be a theatrical release for a certain period of time (let's say 4 months or 16 weeks) before being released via Disney+, her claim may have no merit. China didn't release Black Widow for whatever reason & even without the Disney+ release, there's no guarantee it would have reached $500 million in theaters globally. The only way Disney broke their contract is if her contract said it would be released in theaters for a specific amount of time before release on Disney+. If they were dumb enough to make contracts with all of these big stars under that agreement & stream simultaneously, then they'll have a lot of lawsuits on their hands. I can't imagine that they're offering all of these actors a % of the films theatrical gross though & I don't know why their contracts would state anything about theatrical release times before a Disney+ release unless they were offered a %. I don't believe she would have made anything close to $50 million in bonus revenue either though, even with a pre pandemic Marvel theatrical hit. Maybe she was actually offered an additional 5% bonus if it reached $1 billion, but this film was never going to make that much money & there's no way she can prove it would have, especially due to the pandemic. They would have had to removed the film from their roster for a few more years to try proving differently & everyone knew it was coming out in theaters & Disney+ simultaneously. She could have taken Disney to court to prevent the streaming release, which would have gotten fans upset with her instead. She waited for the release & wants to put all the blame on Disney, when it's the pandemic that decimated theaters. I may be wrong, but it seems more like actors are jumping on the bandwagon in her defense, rather than having actual breach of contracts.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:50 AM, chezmtghut said:

I agree but the contract would have to be pretty specific in stating particular terms for her to win that lawsuit. Unless she was offered a % like RDJ (let's say a 10% bonus on the gross revenue if it hit $500 million in theater & Disney+ sales, which equates to $50 million lost revenue as her lawsuit claims) & the contract specifically claimed that there would be a theatrical release for a certain period of time (let's say 4 months or 16 weeks) before being released via Disney+, her claim may have no merit. China didn't release Black Widow for whatever reason & even without the Disney+ release, there's no guarantee it would have reached $500 million in theaters globally. The only way Disney broke their contract is if her contract said it would be released in theaters for a specific amount of time before release on Disney+. If they were dumb enough to make contracts with all of these big stars under that agreement & stream simultaneously, then they'll have a lot of lawsuits on their hands. I can't imagine that they're offering all of these actors a % of the films theatrical gross though & I don't know why their contracts would state anything about theatrical release times before a Disney+ release unless they were offered a %. I don't believe she would have made anything close to $50 million in bonus revenue either though, even with a pre pandemic Marvel theatrical hit. Maybe she was actually offered an additional 5% bonus if it reached $1 billion, but this film was never going to make that much money & there's no way she can prove it would have, especially due to the pandemic. They would have had to removed the film from their roster for a few more years to try proving differently & everyone knew it was coming out in theaters & Disney+ simultaneously. She could have taken Disney to court to prevent the streaming release, which would have gotten fans upset with her instead. She waited for the release & wants to put all the blame on Disney, when it's the pandemic that decimated theaters. I may be wrong, but it seems more like actors are jumping on the bandwagon in her defense, rather than having actual breach of contracts.

tenor.gif.a4e2a077d79ecf3410f7df041e87fe37.gif

I think the China issue is going to get even larger.  If BW is not getting released, that bodes very poorly for Shang Chi or Eternals getting released.   China is supposed to be this massive partially untapped market. The market that was supposed to insure future profit growth, as well as pad any diminishing returns in other countries.

Oops sorry Disney.

As for SJ's contract, it will all center around does same day streaming income constitute box office or not. Furthermore, does that type of release negatively affect earnings? My gut says she has a good case.  Gadot already set some president when WB payed her $10 million to avoid this exact problem.  Also, I think a judge is likely to say that the pandemic was an unforeseeable event, so the resulting changes to distribution and subsequent effects on box office.  The pandemic could not be anticipated in the contract, and those events likely affected box office. Those changes were made by Disney, contrary to the concerns expressed by SJ, this would therefor constitute changing the contract without both parties agreeing to the change.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:13 AM, drotto said:

I think the China issue is going to get even larger.  If BW is not getting released, that bodes very poorly for Shang Chi or Eternals getting released.   China is supposed to be this massive partially untapped market. The market that was supposed to insure future profit growth, as well as pad any diminishing returns in other countries.

Oops sorry Disney.

As for SJ's contract, it will all center around does same day streaming income constitute box office or not. Furthermore, does that type of release negatively affect earnings? My gut says she has a good case.  Gadot already set some president when WB payed her $10 million to avoid this exact problem.  Also, I think a judge is likely to say that the pandemic was an unforeseeable event, so the resulting changes to distribution and subsequent effects on box office.  The pandemic could not be anticipated in the contract, and those events likely affected box office. Those changes were made by Disney, contrary to the concerns expressed by SJ, this would therefor constitute changing the contract without both parties agreeing to the change.

Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins were both paid in advance of the hybrid release schedule.

GAL GADOT, PATTY JENKINS GET HUGE 'WONDER WOMAN 1984' HBO MAX PAYDAY

WarnerMedia convinced Jenkins, Gadot, et al, to enable an HBO Max release and paid them as if Wonder Woman 1984 made a billion dollars at the box office.

You know. The company that got ridiculed for moving all of its movies to a hybrid schedule while smart and mighty Disney held out.

:facepalm:

On 7/31/2021 at 9:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins were both paid in advance of the hybrid release schedule.

GAL GADOT, PATTY JENKINS GET HUGE 'WONDER WOMAN 1984' HBO MAX PAYDAY

You know. The company that got ridiculed for moving all of its movies to a hybrid schedule while smart and mighty Disney held out.

:facepalm:

Yes, WB was smart enough to see the problem coming and did what was needed to stop the likely lawsuit. 

So it begins:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/clifford-the-big-red-dog-pulled-september-release-delta-variant-1234991133/

This is likely only the first domino to fall due to renewed lockdown concerns - and the recent box office disappointments of Black Widow, GI Joe, Space Jamz, etc.

Still waiting for No Time to Die to be postponed again...

On 7/31/2021 at 7:28 AM, Gatsby77 said:

So it begins:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/clifford-the-big-red-dog-pulled-september-release-delta-variant-1234991133/

This is likely only the first domino to fall due to renewed lockdown concerns - and the recent box office disappointments of Black Widow, GI Joe, Space Jamz, etc.

Still waiting for No Time to Die to be postponed again...

is Shang-Chi locked into theatrical only? the timing of that one looks to be particularly bad

Edited by paperheart

On 7/31/2021 at 10:59 AM, paperheart said:

is Shang-Chi locked into theatrical only? the timing of that one looks to be particularly bad

Yeah - Shang-Chi is locked into a 45-day theatrical-only window.

News reports are the Delta variant's set to peak in mid-October.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:25 AM, D84 said:

If this means Dune is delayed again...

🤬🤬🤬

I'm probably wrong but I don't think there will be another nationwide lock down.  The people getting seriously sick are unvaccinated.  As far as I'm concerned you're on your own if you chose not to get vaccinated.