• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Right... Because audiences have trouble being "wowed" by characters like Batman, and John Wick...

Batman is a 80 year old pop culture institution and Keanu reeves is a 56 year old one. Harley Quinn and Black Widow have to work a little harder to prove their mettle in our society that tends to not give women the benefit of the doubt. Which makes Captain Marvel's 1 billion plus box office all that much more marvelous.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:23 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Shang Chi absolutely looks like a special effects "wow" extravaganza.

Ugh...

Yes - I've seen it. And there are 'splosions' and whatnot. You're missing the point.

But will Shang himself have super powers? I sincerely hope not - any more than what he had in the comics, which was incredible skill. Same with Natasha.
It's all about how these 'normal' characters function in the crazy super-worlds.
If Shang ends up getting the Mandarin's 'rings,' and holds onto them as a super-power at the end of the movie, I'm less inclined to like the character.
But that's just me.

On 7/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, HighVoltage said:

Ugh...

Yes - I've seen it. And there are 'splosions' and whatnot. You're missing the point.

But will Shang himself have super powers? I sincerely hope not - any more than what he had in the comics, which was incredible skill. Same with Natasha.
It's all about how these 'normal' characters function in the crazy super-worlds.
If Shang ends up getting the Mandarin's 'rings,' and holds onto them as a super-power at the end of the movie, I'm less inclined to like the character.
But that's just me.

Shang Chi is apparently flying and wearing the Ten Rings at the end of the trailer. It looks like Shang Chi will be super-powered, or at least will have the ability to channel Chi energy, like in the comics.

Uh-ohhhhh

Black Widow has a new enemy: the Walt Disney Co.

Scarlett Johansson, star of the latest Marvel movie “Black Widow,” filed a lawsuit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court against Disney, alleging her contract was breached when the media giant released the film on its Disney+ streaming service at the same time as its theatrical debut.

Ms. Johansson said in the suit that her agreement with Disney’s Marvel Entertainment guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release, and her salary was based in large part on the box-office performance of the film.

“Disney intentionally induced Marvel’s breach of the agreement, without justification, in order to prevent Ms. Johansson from realizing the full benefit of her bargain with Marvel,” the suit said.

Disney couldn’t be reached immediately for comment.

The suit could be a bellwether for the entertainment industry. Major media companies are prioritizing their streaming services in pursuit of growth, and are increasingly putting their high-value content on those platforms. Those changes have significant financial implications for actors and producers, who want to ensure that growth in streaming doesn’t come at their expense.

“This will surely not be the last case where Hollywood talent stands up to Disney and makes it clear that, whatever the company may pretend, it has a legal obligation to honor its contracts,” said John Berlinski, an attorney at Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP who represents Ms. Johansson.

On 7/29/2021 at 1:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

Uh-ohhhhh

Typical corporate Hollywood BS like the corporate claims that Forrest Gump did not make any money to avoid paying out more to Groom. 

I am curious to see how this fares because at face value, her complaint has merit.   However, Disney could have squashed this in advance by seeing if they could alter her contract by allowing her a percentage of early access buy-ins. 

Also here is the sad reality.  I forget which one of you guys said it.

The Marvel Saga really was from Iron Man through and including Avengers Endgame with Spiderman Far From Home serving as an epilogue of sorts and maybe Spider-man No Way Home as the part II of the epilogue.  Every movie in that series was a must see so you could go to the next part of the saga.  To me, every Marvel movie was a must see 'now' movie. 

Now that the saga has wrapped up and people have a subscription to Disney+, I assume that many people have no problem waiting three months to see this for whatever their monthly subscription is to Disney+.  Three months!  The majority of the public can wait for any movie at three months rather than spend $30 for two tickets + concessions. 

Shang Chi looks like the Iron Fist level fight scene movie that Disney would have liked Netflix to make.  I am all in on that but from the comfort of my own couch. 

On 7/29/2021 at 2:00 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, I'm interested to see what happens, because no matter how you slice it this is not a good look/pr for Disney.  

Yeah, this could have been a very clear and cut easy renegotiation with her, but they opted to just ignore her outright. I hope this goes forward and it does also have implications with other areas that have people concerned (such as existing contracts for access rights for older movies they own now. They need to be renegotiated and addressed. This might lead to settling precedence for when requests are made to them in good will but ignored)

On 7/29/2021 at 1:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

Now that the saga has wrapped up and people have a subscription to Disney+, I assume that many people have no problem waiting three months to see this for whatever their monthly subscription is to Disney+.  Three months!  The majority of the public can wait for any movie at three months rather than spend $30 for two tickets + concessions. 

I'm one of those that currently has no problems waiting the 3+ months; to see it as part of my Disney+ subscription.  

I also don't plan on seeing anything in a movie theatre any time soon and I won't pay for early access to watch something now.  So while I have always enjoyed going to see a movie on the big screens, right now sitting in one for 2 hours is outside my comfort zone.  So the I see the lower numbers being people still don't feel comfortable going to a theatre and anything released now is going to have lower numbers.

Psy