• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Tony Stark is not a Mary Sue because he fails at stuff.  Shuri is definitely a Mary Sue-even in Endgame she spouts a bunch of techno-BS and Banner says uh because we-didnt think of it?  Yeah sure this teenager is way smarter than Stark and Banner, combined.  Look people can be smart but it still takes life experience to build stuff.  A 12 year old at Harvard doesnt mean they can design and build a super spacecraft.

:gossip:

Infinity War.

I don't think that Shuri builds anything. She's a designer who holds technological information regarding vibranium engineering.

I would not classify her as a Mary Sue.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:gossip:

Infinity War.

I don't think that Shuri builds anything. She's a designer who holds technological information regarding vibranium engineering.

I would not classify her as a Mary Sue.

Fine if she's not a Mary Sue tell me one thing she failed at.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt she build everything?  I seem to remember her walking around like Q in James Bond demonstrating the new stuff she built.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Fighting off Killmonger and saving Vision. That's two.

even a Mary Sue has to bow to the plot.  Vision had to die or no movie.  The point is she was the super genius that was the only one that could figger out how to remove his gem.

Just now, kav said:

even a Mary Sue has to bow to the plot.  Vision had to die or no movie.  The point is she was the super genius that was the only one that could figger out how to remove his gem.

Had Tony Stark been on Earth, he could've likely accomplished the same goal.

The real that Shuri appears "smarter" than Stark + Banner RE:  Vision is because he's made of vibranium. Vision was both Tony's and Bruce's first experience with engineering that element.

Fact is, that Shuri isn't great/perfect at everything. A Mary Sue is great/perfect at everything.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Had Tony Stark been on Earth, he could've likely accomplished the same goal.

The real that Shuri appears "smarter" than Stark + Banner RE:  Vision is because he's made of vibranium. Vision was both Tony's and Bruce's first experience with engineering that element.

Fact is, that Shuri isn't great/perfect at everything. A Mary Sue is great/perfect at everything.

what is she not great/perfect at?

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Shuri is also a sidekick. Not the title character or the primary protagonist. Is Pepper Potts a Mary Sue? The term just does not fit her character.

would you settle for walking McGuffin then?

If Rey in star wars is not a Mary Sue then there is no such thing as a Mary Sue.

Just now, kav said:

would you settle for walking McGuffin then?

If Rey in star wars is not a Mary Sue then there is no such thing as a Mary Sue.

Rey is 100% certified Mary Sue. No question.

Vibranium could maybe be a MacGuffin.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Combat, driving, and designing a vibranium suit that can remain active in mag lev.

she looked pretty good at combat and driving to me.  

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Shuri is also a sidekick. Not the title character or the primary protagonist. Is Pepper Potts a Mary Sue? The term just does not fit her character.

wasnt the original Mary Sue in the Star Trek fan fiction not a title character tho?  I believe Capt Kirk was the title character in that one.    I dont think you have to be a title character, to be a mary sue.

Wikipedia says this about a Mary Sue:
They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience, and usually are able through some means to upstage the protagonist.

Check and check for Shuri-a teenager that can build anything.  Upstages Banner with his 7 PhDs.  Check.

49 minutes ago, kav said:

Wikipedia says this about a Mary Sue:
They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience, and usually are able through some means to upstage the protagonist.

Check and check for Shuri-a teenager that can build anything.  Upstages Banner with his 7 PhDs.  Check.

"Mary Sue" isn't a standard litmus test to be applied to all Star Wars and MCU female characters. Shuri is a super-hero within the MCU. Her super-power is that she is a super-genius. She doesn't need 7 PhD's. It's Wakanda, a culture isolated from the rest of civilization for a thousand years. It's also a comic book movie. Currently there are two other known super-geniuses in the MCU, Tony Stark and Rocket Raccoon, that is, characters who can build anything and whose direct contribution to the team is their super-intellect.

Shuri also doesn't really need to fail or succeed at anything. She's not really the main character here, is she? She's not the main protagonist so there isn't really a goal for her to overcome. While Black Panther was kind of a family ensemble movie in some ways, it's still T'Challa and Killmonger's story, as well as the legacy of the Black Panther in Wakanda. If Shuri has more story to tell, and I'm sure she will, it will come later. But of course, being a super-genius, she's very good at tech and doesn't fail at it. Wakanda wouldn't have put her in charge of Research & Development if she failed at it, would they?

Shuri is just another super-hero in the MCU. It doesn't have to be a Mary Sue thing.