• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink 2018 Show 'em if you got 'em
13 13

897 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Another failure this round, but I'm not crazy.  People were bidding 9.6-9.8 prices on the fantucchio pedigree 9.4 books when they could have just readily bought for less on the exchange in 9.6. Since when did people start to value that pedigree so highly?  

I had 3 tracking bids on potential upgrades and didn't even bother staying up for the hammer, as the prices were stupid before it got close.  At least I got to go to bed early!

38 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I had 3 tracking bids on potential upgrades and didn't even bother staying up for the hammer, as the prices were stupid before it got close.  At least I got to go to bed early!

Tracking a book for weeks, staying up late for the final minutes to place your very strong bid, only to get blown out of the water before placing it...is the worst. So yea, finding that out early is a blessing...

5 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Another failure this round, but I'm not crazy.  People were bidding 9.6-9.8 prices on the fantucchio pedigree 9.4 books when they could have just readily bought for less on the exchange in 9.6. Since when did people start to value that pedigree so highly?  

Pedigrees have always carried a premium. Sometimes you get lucky though. 

9 hours ago, 90sChild said:

The Fantucchio books are bringing very strong money pretty much across the board. The couple I've gotten, I've paid up for relative to same grade non-Pedigree and even other Pedigree copies. I don't really get it to be honest. It is nowhere near as nice of a Pedigree as Pac Coast or Curator and grade for grade doesn't hold up to Rocky Mountain or Suscha either although it's considerably deeper than both. 

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I continue to be amazed by the power of the Fantucchio pedigree.  I tried going after four Doctor Strange Issues, and was lucky to pick up two of the four (#182 and #183) by bidding very aggressively, coming in second on the other two (#177 and #181).  The #177 went for a whopping $737!

Ahh, I see you are one of the few who got involved with that fracas.  I will admit the two you picked up were the much safer buys than $362 for the #181 or $700+ for #177. 
The book I was referring to earlier (Doctor Strange #181) has two copies in cgc 9.6 for less than that on the exchange right now.
I paid $112 for my #177 in 9.2 White pages, so I don't understand the panic on that one.  I guess everyone else is going after a 9.4 set too?

Near $300 each is really not terrible, considering the quality of them.  The centering/miswraps on those two books is almost always wrong, for that I was willing to pay another 25% above the average sale prices around $200.  I was underbidder on both.  I figured the #181 guy won them, considering how desperate that price seemed.  I wonder why he let off on those two.  If you check the bid history on those, there is about another $100 drop off to the next lowest bidder.

You'll have to share your collection with me some time.  Check out my Doctor Strange thread while you're at it.  Now that these have ended, I have nothing left to look forward to.

Edited by 90sChild

3 hours ago, LordRahl said:

The Fantucchio books are bringing very strong money pretty much across the board. The couple I've gotten, I've paid up for relative to same grade non-Pedigree and even other Pedigree copies. I don't really get it to be honest. It is nowhere near as nice of a Pedigree as Pac Coast or Curator and grade for grade doesn't hold up to Rocky Mountain or Suscha either although it's considerably deeper than both. 

i was underwhelmed w/ the one i picked up. 

4 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Hawkman #9 cgc 9.2 Fantucchio $1655- i got outbid by 10X lol

43 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Hawkman #9 cgc 9.2 Fantucchio $1655- i got outbid by 10X lol

:golfclap: 

6 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Ahh, I see you are one of the few who got involved with that fracas.  I will admit the two you picked up were the much safer buys than $362 for the #181 or $700+ for #177. 
The book I was referring to earlier (Doctor Strange #181) has two copies in cgc 9.6 for less than that on the exchange right now.
I paid $112 for my #177 in 9.2 White pages, so I don't understand the panic on that one.  I guess everyone else is going after a 9.4 set too?

Near $300 each is really not terrible, considering the quality of them.  The centering/miswraps on those two books is almost always wrong, for that I was willing to pay another 25% above the average sale prices around $200.  I was underbidder on both.  I figured the #181 guy won them, considering how desperate that price seemed.  I wonder why he let off on those two.  If you check the bid history on those, there is about another $100 drop off to the next lowest bidder.

You'll have to share your collection with me some time.  Check out my Doctor Strange thread while you're at it.  Now that these have ended, I have nothing left to look forward to.

I'm not an expert on pedigrees so I can't comment on how Fantucchio books compare to other pedigree collections, but I like the Fantucchio books I've received.  I think they present really well.  But I agree that some of the prices people are willing to pay are crazy.  The same thing happened last auction with a bunch of Fantucchio Daredevils ... somebody (I think I know who) went after them hard and I just stayed out of the way.

I looked at those two 9.6 copies of Doctor Strange #181 and if they weren't both Off-White pages I might have put in an offer.  Thanks for the heads-up.

I also took a look at your WTB thread ... sorry to say I don't have any of what you're looking for to sell.  Holding the line on 9.4 WP with near-perfect centering will require patience, but Doctor Strange 169-183 is a relatively short run so it's definitely an attainable goal.  I generally accept OW/W or WP and I try not to be too picky on centering.  If the cover is even a little bit crooked, I'm not interested but a slight miswrap in either direction that's "even" along the length of the book is usually fine with me.

And finally, all of my books are in the registry if you'd like to take a look.  Drop me a PM any time.

Best of luck in your search!

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Only two in the CGC census in this grade and none higher, so I was happy to be high bidder for a fraction of what this copy sold for previously on E-Bay:

00270951696000110980092005.jpg

Nice! I was tracking that one and you did absolutely get it for a steal.