• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink 2018 Show 'em if you got 'em
13 13

897 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, joeypost said:
13 hours ago, Greenlake said:

Thanks. It's mostly not knowing about it when I was bidding. I might've still taken it, just not at the same price. The front does still have good color in person.

Am I over-thinking it to guess that someone pressed it out that way to make it look better from the front? There's that vertical color break running all the way down the front.

Doubt it was pressed as the staples are aligned properly. Bad cut at time of printing would be my guess. The crease you see is simply a readers crease as whoever owned it early on folded the cover over and creased it while reading the book.

I’d agree with Joey. Every once in a while you see a book that is cut/folded like this. It’s almost certainly production. Not saying you shouldn’t be disappointed, but I don’t think the book is manipulated. 

12 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I’d agree with Joey. Every once in a while you see a book that is cut/folded like this. It’s almost certainly production. Not saying you shouldn’t be disappointed, but I don’t think the book is manipulated. 

I've had books from original owner collections that were like that, so it can occur during production. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

32 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:
43 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I've had books from original owner collections that were like that, so it can occur during production. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I've seen several books like that as well.  A couple inside slabs like this.

Still, even if it's production related, this is something Clink should be showing, or at least pointing out. That's a very specific defect that a lot of folks aren't gonna be happy to be surprised by.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Still, even if it's production related, this is something Clink should be showing, or at least pointing out. That's a very specific defect that a lot of folks aren't gonna be happy to be surprised by.

I agree. I think the owner should send this book back. Clink adds extensive comments to each book, the BC situation should have been mentioned. Years ago I was told it was a matter of not having the time to scan the back of all the books. I think it is by design, though I'm not sure exactly why. I know you can call and request a BC scan but still. I think Heritage will show the BC if their is anything to be shown, else they leave it off. That works for me.

18 hours ago, Greenlake said:

I bought this thinking it has mostly good color, and I could try to work my way up the grades over time.

5ad91bf9cb3f7_front00063600835000111569601015.thumb.jpg.c6929b4a7866c80d91817bb404fd96d6.jpg

Only to get it in today:IMG_8926.thumb.jpg.083d7f94943bac85bc7fa2e859565be4.jpg

Ugh.

I really think you should return this book. It's obviously going to bother you.

48 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I really think you should return this book. It's obviously going to bother you.

It's bothering me and I don't even own it....

That is one weird production flaw, it almost looks like it would effect the story on the second half of the book. Part that I can't wrap my head around is that the ad placement on the back cover looks just like any other 52 (from the margin sizes) even though it's "thinner". Would have expected it to be off-center or cut-off on one side.

-bc

I thought as long as the slab was not damaged they would not accept a return.  Not sure but i thought I read a no return policy on their website.

24 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I thought as long as the slab was not damaged they would not accept a return.  Not sure but i thought I read a no return policy on their website.

It seems like a bad business plan to not accept a return on a couple hundred dollar book when you have the potential of losing a customer for good over it, but I guess stupider things have happened.

It never hurts to ask. "Look, I know you guys say you don't take returns, but you also failed to disclose that the back of this book looks like someone caught it in a paper cutter." Hopefully they'd be reasonable.

I'm sure CL will work with the OP on this should be decide to return the book. They are a reputable and major auction house and business, it would be hard for me to think they wouldn't.  

The consignor though may not like it if a refund is to be made and maybe re-auction the book, me thinks. Hopefully he/she would be fine and understanding. 

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

The consignor though may not like it if a refund is to be made and maybe re-auction the book, me thinks. Hopefully he/she would be fine and understanding. 

I would not worry about offending the consignor. He knows what's going on with this book and probably chose Comiclink so it could 'sneak' through. BTW, I know CGC allows for a certain amount of production flaw to be ignored in the grade but, in this case, I wonder if they took the miscut into consideration ?

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I would not worry about offending the consignor. He knows what's going on with this book and probably chose Comiclink so it could 'sneak' through. BTW, I know CGC allows for a certain amount of production flaw to be ignored in the grade but, in this case, I wonder if they took the miscut into consideration ?

I agree that consignor knows what's up and was wise enough to choose CL to sell knowing full well they don't image the back cover unless it's a major pricey book. 

Looking at the front cover only, it seems like the grade fits the book. If any I highly doubt that the miscut had little to no effect on the grade, but compared to other 3.5's eye appeal is lower because of the back. 

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm sure CL will work with the OP on this should be decide to return the book. They are a reputable and major auction house and business, it would be hard for me to think they wouldn't.  

It’s possible Clink would pay the consignor and “buy” the book to reauction. That’d be the surest way not to anger everyone involved here. Clink failed the buyer and jeopardized the consignor by opting not to add the back cover scan or note the flaw. 

Edited by mysterio

9 hours ago, F For Fake said:

6 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

It seems like a bad business plan to not accept a return on a couple hundred dollar book when you have the potential of losing a customer for good over it, but I guess stupider things have happened.

I guess I disagree with you both.  First off it's a CGC 3.5 so it's supposed to be low grade.  As far as accepting returns I know from personal experience that Heritage doesn't accept them either.  Can't really blame them when the item is third party graded and they also have the interests of the sellers to look out for.  Think of slabs as bearer bonds.

Edited by ThothAmon

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I guess I disagree with you both.  First off it's a CGC 3.5 so it's supposed to be low grade.  As far as accepting returns I know from personal experience that Heritage doesn't accept them either.  Can't really blame them when the item is third party graded and they also have the interests of the sellers to look out for.  Think of slabs as bearer bonds.

Yes, it's a 3.5 that should have been graded a 2.5 . I think it's terrible that CGC ignores such flaws. I have successfully returned a slabbed book to Heritage. It's not impossible. They are very customer service orientated.

On 4/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, comicparadox said:

I always liked the Kirby FF “original gangster” stories. Per your example, FF 91 in 9.4 would be a great book to pwn!?

I was wondering why you chose FF #91. The Kirby Gangsta FF tales were money! Since we're here would FF #91 constitute a bondage cover?

On 4/17/2018 at 12:47 PM, namisgr said:

Prices can be volatile.  Unlike shares of a company stock, which trade thousands of times every business day, comics sell infrequently.  There are many fewer potential buyers.  And not every book has equivalent value, owing to differences in eye appeal, page quality, etc.  Finally, only a subset of prospective buyers is aware that a particular copy is being offered for sale.  That's why GPA data are a guide rather than an expectation, and for books with relatively few people looking to buy it in a given grade the final price realized at auction can vary quite a bit.

Exactly. And if the copy being offered is from a low/poor feedback seller, has bad pics/scans, is located in the UK/AUS, has an incorrect title or other factors the final price can be super low and then negatively impact future grades.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:38 PM, ThothAmon said:

When not providing a back cover scan so obviously masks a pretty significant flaw, I have an issue with it.  I get that it's 3rd party graded, but I think as an auction house that is providing a service to consignors AND buyers, it seems appropriate to include back cover scans in specific situations.  I'm not saying they should offer returns on EVERY slab, but somebody should at least investigate the requests before outright refusing any return. (shrug)