• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Disney Marketing warming up one of its biggest markets to refresh their memories with the first film.

The sequel is due for a decade now,when will they finish the movie when can we see it?

18 minutes ago, Namtak said:

The sequel is due for a decade now,when will they finish the movie when can we see it?

It is ridiculous. But knowing Cameron if he is directing than for that moment in time the film is going to be a fun experience.

Rewatch-wise, hard to say. Of his previous films T2, The Abyss, Aliens and The Terminator stand out. Avatar is a good watch from time to time.

Long-rumored for a China re-release, James Cameron’s Avatar suddenly popped onto the calendar this week. The erstwhile highest-grossing film of all time worldwide will hit Middle Kingdom cinemas on Friday, March 12. In so doing, it has a chance to jockey back up to the No. 1 spot globally, after Avengers: Endgame overtook it in summer 2019. There is currently $7.8M separating the two based on trued-up numbers (including re-releases, Avengers: Endgame’s global total is $2,797.5M/Avatar’s is $2,789.7M).

Disney now owns both properties, so whichever way the pendulum swings, it’s bragging rights for both.

After a record-breaking Chinese New Year period and the single highest-grossing month in history for what is now the world’s biggest box office market, China has a relative lack of major new local titles ahead. Special Couple, a China/UK co-production that premiered at the 2019 Shanghai Film Festival, is also releasing on Friday and then there’s not much else in the way of big-ticket offerings until Warner Bros/Legendary’s Godzilla Vs Kong which is dated on March 26.

Avatar was originally released in China in early 2010 and grossed nearly $203M at the time — a massive number before the market began to grow exponentially. Its full China total (after a previous special edition release) is just over $204M. Currently, the reissue, which will go out on most of the IMAX network and in 3D (formats that are embraced in China) is leading pre-sales for the FSS weekend with more than $5.5M.

3 minutes ago, Namtak said:

A reissue shoudnt be worldwide news,some theater still show 70s and 80sand90s movies so what?for me its normal news

:gossip: Disney owns both of the two biggest films ever so if its marketing encourages this race back and forth to the top the money continues to keep flowing in

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:gossip: Disney owns both of the two biggest films ever so if its marketing encourages this race back and forth to the top the money continues to keep flowing in

What is the two biggest movie ever?

1 minute ago, Namtak said:

Moneywise ok thats clearer.

What else would have been the biggest ever? Just wondering what else that could have been. Widest distributed? Largest budget?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

What else would have been the biggest ever? Just wondering what else that could have been. Widest distributed? Largest budget?

Lost in translation ,for me biggest meant like best,still adapting here.not my first language

There’s a chance that Cherry will be, by default, the biggest Apple+ movie yet, so that would have meant that the Russos’ would have the biggest theatrical grosser ever (Avengers: Endgame with $2.79 billion worldwide), the biggest Netflix original (the AGBO-produced Extraction with a reported 99 million viewers) and the biggest Apple flick with Cherry.

Scratch that first one, because Avengers: Endgame is about to lose its global box office crown. Yes, thanks to a surprise reissue in China, James Cameron’s Avatar is about to retake its spot as the biggest-grossing movie of all time in raw global grosses. Before yesterday, Endgame ($2.797 billion) sat just $7.9 million away from Avatar ($2.789 billion). But Avatar just topped the Chinese box office with $3.7 million yesterday, meaning that gap would be crossed sometime today.

So, by today or tomorrow, Avatar will once again be the biggest global grosser of all time with over $2.8 billion by the end of the weekend. This was, to quote Thanos, inevitable, since Disney has to promote Avatar 2 and they were always going to eventually rerelease Avatar into theaters in some capacity prior to the sequel’s release. Yes, while Avatar is technically a Fox triumph, Disney bought Fox in mid-2019, meaning that both Avengers and Avatar are under the Mouse House umbrella.

Avatar earned $760 million domestic and $2.79 billion worldwide in 2009/2010, shattering the previous milestones held by James Cameron’s Titanic ($600 million/$1.8 billion in 1997/1998). Moreover, it earned a then-unthinkable $206 million in China alone, a success which kicked off both the 3-D craze (especially overseas, where some films were only available in higher-priced 3-D formats) and Hollywood’s quest to cash in on China’s expanding theatrical marketplace.

That was 11 years ago, and China now has ten times the number of available theaters it did when Avatar debuted. Ironically, the only reason Avengers: Endgame topped Avatar in 2019 was that it earned a jaw-dropping $620 million in China, a 71% boost from Avengers: Infinity War ($356 million) the year prior. Avengers 4 rose around 27% from Avengers 3 in most markets (including North America) but the 71% jump showed a clear preference in China for Marvel/DC superhero movies.

2 hours ago, Oddball said:

Avatar was dumb as rocks but it was fun and visually spectacular. Story is garbage. Cameron’s beautiful trifecta was his 80’s back to back films; The Terminator, Aliens and The Abyss. He joins John Carpenter in regards to their best work being in the 80’s. 

After I posted this I got a sense of Deja vu. I went back a few pages and I wrote nearly the exact same thing. My God, I’m that old man now retelling the same stories over and over. :facepalm:

Edited by Oddball