• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

833 posts in this topic

How Disney used targeted marketing toward MCU fanatics to convince them Avengers: Endgame had to beat Avatar. Even though it owns both films now. Including working with Robert Downey Jr. to appeal to their emotions this had to happen.

Meet the Marvel Fans That Helped ‘Endgame’ #BeatAvatar

Oddly enough, each time James Cameron recognized the success of Endgame in a classy way (to include after Avatar was topped)... 

...fans were still convinced through social media campaigns he was the enemy. And that the Avatar film brought no value to society, so Endgame must take the top spot!

And then RDJ was brought into the marketing to drive a stronger reaction. First to encourage topping Avatar.

Robert Downey Jr. Rallies ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Fans to Beat James Cameron’s ‘Avatar’ Record

Then to spark revisits when Endgame was re-released with a deleted scene. This became the new rallying cry to get back out there and #BeatAvatar. Because!

And a rush to revisit the theaters occurred to conquer this horrible Hollywood tyrant.

Youtubers brought more excitement by claiming Avatar fans fought them all the way through - and MCU fans had won!

And we as a society are that much dumber for allowing ourselves to be played by extremely sophisticated marketing. Yet with both films Disney wins in the end.

mickey-mouse-smile.gif.70e449458d77d99f973a1ea0cc486c34.gif

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/16/2021 at 9:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Well, Endgame is multitudes better than Avatar.

Are they still making those stupid sequels?

Just wait. Disney Marketing will help you realize what you want.

:baiting:

On 8/16/2021 at 9:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's always more death.

Seriously - I'm looking forward to Disney Marketing cutting its teeth on this one to now convince the same fanatics they really need Avatar 2.

Heck - it has a whole attraction area at Disneyworld dedicated to Pandora. So Disney is locked on this one!

On 8/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

Seriously - I'm looking forward to Disney Marketing cutting its teeth on this one to now convince the same fanatics they really need Avatar 2.

Heck - it has a whole attraction area at Disneyworld dedicated to Pandora. So Disney is locked on this one!

Well, we know that they aren't stopping at 2, so I have 0 interest.

If they advertise that everything will end in an Avatar film, they may catch my eyes.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Well, we know that they aren't stopping at 2, so I have 0 interest.

If they advertise that everything will end in an Avatar film, they may catch my eyes.

At least 6 times

:nyah:

On 8/16/2021 at 10:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nah. I'm saving that for Justice League 2.

Let's not kid ourselves. The Snyder Cut couldn't even get you to watch it that much without complaints.

:insane:

On 8/16/2021 at 11:51 AM, RickSp said:

I still just don't get this Avatar thing. There was a post I saw quoting Stephen Lang saying he got emotional reading the Avatar 5 --script....

Eh?! 

Yeah I don't get it either.  I thought that movie straight up sucked.  How it did what it did is beyond me.  However based on the box office I look to be in the minority.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:47 AM, media_junkie said:

Yeah I don't get it either.  I thought that movie straight up sucked.  How it did what it did is beyond me.  However based on the box office I look to be in the minority.

Did it though? 'Straight up sucked' to me is something that brought no entertainment value.

Not saying that Avatar made me rush out to go buy action figures or look at the world differently. It didn't. But I had a good time at the movies. And especially seeing this in 3-D, which was intense.

On 8/17/2021 at 8:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

Did it though? 'Straight up sucked' to me is something that brought no entertainment value.

Not saying that Avatar made me rush out to go buy action figures or look at the world differently. It didn't. But I had a good time at the movies. And especially seeing this in 3-D, which was intense.

I put Avatar on the same "entertainment value" level as the 2016 Ghostbusters movie.  Yes to me it straight up sucked.  But again I am obviously in the minority.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:58 PM, media_junkie said:

I put Avatar on the same "entertainment value" level as the 2016 Ghostbusters movie.  Yes to me it straight up sucked.  But again I am obviously in the minority.

funny-i-like-you-but-youre-crazy.gif.4051f6f7f697d0ea7739fba217ad314d.gif

:baiting:

I get it. Not all movies are going to work for everyone. But the level of hate directed at this film with #BeatAvatar and other campaigns seems misplaced. But it worked for Disney.

On 8/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

I get it. Not all movies are going to work for everyone. But the level of hate directed at this film with #BeatAvatar and other campaigns seems misplaced. But it worked for Disney.

As we've seen with recent news, Disney certainly knows how to beat themselves.