• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

We Got This Covered is too funny.

‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ is finally on Disney Plus and the complaints are rolling in

The long-awaited sequel to James Cameron’s Avatar is officially available to stream, and the same complaints that plagued the movie’s theatrical run are once again weighing down The Way of Water.

Plagued the theatrical run?

1536272813_Screenshot_20230330-0631432.thumb.png.2032571a7cf32e63cc15b278b394ef8e.png

I see what it means. Cameron must be extremely worried.

Despite the cash it pulled in, and the general popularity behind the franchise, however, Avatar isn’t immune to criticism. And there’s plenty of criticism to be found among the title’s latest wave of viewers, who are letting their thoughts be known online.

So viewers had complaints? Shocking. I hope this breaks even at least.

:nyah:

On 3/30/2023 at 6:35 AM, Bosco685 said:

We Got This Covered is too funny.

‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ is finally on Disney Plus and the complaints are rolling in

Plagued the theatrical run?

1536272813_Screenshot_20230330-0631432.thumb.png.2032571a7cf32e63cc15b278b394ef8e.png

I see what it means. Cameron must be extremely worried.

So viewers had complaints? Shocking. I hope this breaks even at least.

:nyah:

Saw this article also, and was very confused by it.

1. You can pick to not watch Cameron is already laughing his way to the bank.

2. It smoked all of your, I am sure, praised MCU films.

3. Your watching at home, you can break it up into two or three sittings.

4. How did this hinder the theatrical run again?

The only thing I did agree with is for a movie that made that much money, it is not talked about much, and seems to have limited cultural impact.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:53 AM, drotto said:

Saw this article also, and was very confused by it.

1. You can pick to not watch Cameron is already laughing his way to the bank.

2. It smoked all of your, I am sure, praised MCU films.

3. Your watching at home, you can break it up into two or three sittings.

4. How did this hinder the theatrical run again?

The only thing I did agree with is for a movie that made that much money, it is not talked about much, and seems to have limited cultural impact.

This is just a click bait article.  The only "legitimate" complaint you could have is that it is too long, which as Drotto said, since you are streaming at home, just break it up.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:20 AM, media_junkie said:

This is just a click bait article.  The only "legitimate" complaint you could have is that it is too long, which as Drotto said, since you are streaming at home, just break it up.

I think the movie was great. Not as good as the first one but most movies start that way when it's a 5 movie possibly shoot. 

On 4/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

Cameronverse01.thumb.PNG.62727f389675df4bf0662c3d750cb927.PNG

Anyone ever hear the one about how his ex-wife beat him at the Oscars? He was never the same again.

:roflmao:

Yeah, so how hard would it be for you to do a chart of all his films? (T1, T2, Aliens 2, Abyss, etc....)  Just how good has he been over the long haul?

On 4/8/2023 at 5:05 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, so how hard would it be for you to do a chart of all his films? (T1, T2, Aliens 2, Abyss, etc....)  Just how good has he been over the long haul?

You paying the research bill?

:flipbait:

:baiting:

On 4/8/2023 at 5:38 PM, media_junkie said:

Hmmm, saving up to take kids to Super Mario on Tues/Wed.  LOL

Okay. For the sake of good spirits I'll go back to his other movies.

But having 3 of the Top 5 largest worldwide movies ever sure gives the guy credit. HUGE credit!

james-cameron.gif.975074f1a36ba40d572fa96902c08e3d.gif

On 4/8/2023 at 5:38 PM, media_junkie said:

Hmmm, saving up to take kids to Super Mario on Tues/Wed.  LOL

Cameronverse_230408.thumb.PNG.d83c6b7ecdceda77819c3388d06dd7cf.PNG

With his first two movies there are no records of release box office details. Cameron feels his first serious directing job was The Terminator, and since then he has delivered about 7.8X production budget combined. And with Box Office Mojo it actually has errors with earlier film International results, requiring a comparison to TheNumbers and reporting records.

:popcorn:

On 4/8/2023 at 7:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

Cameronverse_230408.thumb.PNG.d83c6b7ecdceda77819c3388d06dd7cf.PNG

With his first two movies there are no records of release box office details. Cameron feels his first serious directing job was The Terminator, and since then he has delivered about 7.8X production budget combined. And with Box Office Mojo it actually has errors with earlier film International results, requiring a comparison to TheNumbers and reporting records.

:popcorn:

Thanks Bosco!

So really (as we all knew), when Cameron directs it is pretty much a sure thing the movie will make money, the only one big one that didn't was "The Abyss".  

Additionally I knew "Terminator" was a nice money maker, but damn, I didn't realize that based on Revenue Ratio it did almost as well as "Avatar".  I'm also glad to see "Aliens" did so well.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:57 AM, media_junkie said:

Thanks Bosco!

So really (as we all knew), when Cameron directs it is pretty much a sure thing the movie will make money, the only one big one that didn't was "The Abyss".  

Additionally I knew "Terminator" was a nice money maker, but damn, I didn't realize that based on Revenue Ratio it did almost as well as "Avatar".  I'm also glad to see "Aliens" did so well.

This one shocked me too as a money-loser. But then when I read the backstory of the studio (20th Century Fox) getting cold feet leading to extensive reshoots, I guess that is where the expenses started racking up. Studio second-guessing and forcing its own version of the film.

Studio executives were nervous about the film's commercial prospects when preview audiences laughed at scenes of serious intent. Industry insiders said that the release delay was because nervous executives ordered the film's ending completely re-shot. There was also the question of the size of the film's budget: 20th Century Fox stated that the budget was $43 million, a figure Cameron himself has reiterated. However, estimates put the figure higher with The New York Times estimating the cost at $45 million and one executive claiming it cost $47 million, while box office revenue tracker website The Numbers lists the production budget at $70 million.

Even with the forced studio changes, the film seemed to do okay with Audience and RT Critic ratings. Along with CinemaScore results. Metacritic was the harsher of the two Critic aggregator results.

On Rotten Tomatoes, a review aggregator, The Abyss has an 88% approval rating based on 48 reviews and an average rating of 7.30/10. The critical consensus states: "The utterly gorgeous special effects frequently overshadow the fact that The Abyss is also a totally gripping, claustrophobic thriller, complete with an interesting crew of characters." On Metacritic, the film has an average score of 62 out of 100, based on 14 critics indicating "generally favorable reviews". The reviews tallied therein are for both the theatrical release and the Special Edition. Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A-" on an A+ to F scale.

It wasn't until the Special Edition (Cameron's cut) that reactions turned around. And then with T2's success Cameron forced a budget to finish The Abyss Special Edition.

Shortly after the film's premiere, Cameron and video editor Ed Marsh created a longer video cut of The Abyss for their own use that incorporated dailies. With the tremendous success of Cameron's Terminator 2: Judgment Day in 1991, Lightstorm Entertainment secured a five-year, $500 million financing deal with 20th Century Fox for films produced, directed or written by Cameron. The contract allocated roughly $500,000 of the amount to complete The Abyss. ILM was commissioned to finish the work they had started three years earlier, with many of the same people who had worked on it originally.

The first THX-certified LaserDisc title of the Special Edition Box Set was released in April 1993, in both Widescreen and Full-Screen formats, and was a best-seller for the rest of the year. The Special Edition was released on VHS on August 20, 1996 as a part of Fox Video's Widescreen Series with a seven-minute behind-the-scenes featurette with footage that did not appear in the Under Pressure: The Making of The Abyss documentary that was included on the Laserdisc and DVD releases. The film was released on DVD in 2000 in both one and two-disc editions and featured animated menus, both the theatrical and Special Edition versions of the film via seamless branching along with—on the second disc—the Laserdisc's extensive text, artwork and photographic documentation of the film's production, a ten-minute featurette and the sixty-minute documentary Under Pressure: The Making of The Abyss.

At an October, 2014 event James Cameron and Gale Anne Hurd were asked about a future Blu-ray release for the film. Cameron gestured to the head of Fox Home Entertainment, implying the decision lay with the studio. Five months later another article suggested a spat between Cameron and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment was responsible for the delay.

We just bought it, so I finally get to make up my own opinion(... the only one that really matters :bigsmile:) .... and it will be uninfluenced by any Corporate America style bookeeping data  that is designed to create "loss". GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

As the third highest-grossing movie of all time, it'd be hard to make Avatar: The Way of Water's box office look much better than it already does, but 2023's superhero movies flopping reveals just how special the Avatar sequel's box office run really is. Leading up to its release, there was doubt over Avatar: The Way of Water's box office potential, but considering the performance of James Cameron's past few movies, it was clear skeptics weren't seeing the full picture; however, but now that 2023s superhero movies are bombing at the box office, it's a lot more clear what makes Avatar: The Way of Water so special.

When it released on December 16, 2022, Avatar: The Way of Water only made $134.1 million at the domestic box office in its opening weekend, but over the next few months it slowly crept up to $682.7 million domestically and $2.3 billion globally to become the third highest-grossing movie of all time behind the original Avatar and Avengers: Endgame. This long-tail box office performance stands in sharp contrast to the way other blockbusters behave in the modern theatrical environment, and 2023's superhero flops highlight that fact.