• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

You could come up with a list of 100 things to hate about Empire OR Return of the Jedi.  Billy Dee as the token black guy, or Yoda merging the Muppets into Star Wars, or Ewoks and Endor replacing Wookies and Kashyyyk just because Chewbacca toys weren't selling as well as teddy bears would have.  I could keep going, but what we lacked at the time was twofold--the Internet to create an echo chamber of hate, and a generation of kids too young to see the weaknesses of the original trilogy who were old enough to see those problems by 1999 once the Phantom Menace and every subsequent film came out.

I would disagree about problems with the OT on the same level as the PT.  Yes the ewoks are silly but the rest of that body of work holds up very well. I think a lot of that credit would go to Kasdan.  The prequels are just...way too much. 

But I entirely agree with you about the online echo chamber. It can be brutal and unfortunately it doesn’t take too many bad seeds to make a whole lotta noise. 

53 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I read Spider-Man 3 plot twist and confirmation of one of those spoilers I previously saw...even with low expectations already established, I'm getting that Ark of the Covenant feeling again.

I caught two very direct nods to Raiders. 

On 12/22/2019 at 8:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

Non-spoiler- Reviewers loved it so much, there were certain scenes where they cried. And they do plan on going back repeatedly to see it.

I haven't seen it yet but seriously.:facepalm:\

Disney = pulling at your heartstrings since 1985

30 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Jesus lost 

Meant more Jesus' saying "the meek shall inherit the Earth." But Jesus did conquer death when he arose three days later on Easter, ascended to heaven to be seated next to God the Father, and now presides over a religion that rules the Western World which began when it conquered the Roman Empire, the same institution that crucified him. Historically and spiritually, Jesus absolutely won.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Going more with the lost scripts as possible inspiration... 

Spoiler

Lucasfilm had worked on a TV show called Star Wars Underworld, one of the storylines involved a love interest with Palpatine.

Something along the lines of Palpatine getting his feelings hurt and his love interest had ties to the criminal underworld. Anyway, its interesting.....

Edited by Rip