• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Original estimates were in the $205M range.

‘Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker’ Seeing $205M+ Opening

But at least the film achieved the adjusted opening estimates. But on the lower end right now.

'Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker' Box Office Tracking for $175M-$200M U.S. Bow

They even released a lower estimate last minute of 160 to 190.  Disney marketing detected something at the end that drove it down.

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

They even released a lower estimate last minute of 160 to 190.  Disney marketing detected something at the end that drove it down.

I saw that.

Still, if this film does $1B on a $275M to $300M budget, that's still a strong closeout. Though nothing overly massive compared to the other films.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I saw that.

Still, if this film does $1B on a $275M to $300M budget, that's still a strong closeout. Though nothing overly massive compared to the other films.

No doubt it will make money.  Just amazing that the third installment, where they were pushing the hype train, end of an era, last Skywalker film stands to make half what the first film did.

Good money bad optics. 

9 minutes ago, drotto said:

No doubt it will make money.  Just amazing that the third installment, where they were pushing the hype train, end of an era, last Skywalker film stands to make half what the first film did.

Good money bad optics. 

Agreed!

Sorry. Still laughing at the strong reactions some are having to the direction changes.

Spoiler

:whatthe:

12 minutes ago, drotto said:

Good money bad optics. 

IMO it would be an unmitigated disaster.

16 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

IMO it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Yep. Because they all know based on past performance what the franchise is capable of. This is a super high profile franchise and making “some money” on it is probably not going to be good enough to satisfy Disney or shareholders. Particularly when the direction with grosses is going backwards. First though let’s see what that final number finishes at...

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

I think the budget on the movie is said to be closer to the 300 million mark not including advertising,etc. so since a movie now needs to more than double it’s costs to just break even  I think the quotes in the industry about a billion dollar final gross would be very disappointing to Disney. Especially since the last 2 were 2 billion and 1.3 billion grosses.

I haven’t seen it yet but based on my friends early reactions to it I expect not to love or hate it. Most people I know are saying it’s just OK which is line with the exit polling so far at B+.

Its over and done now either way so we’ll see where Disney takes it next. I’m just glad I reserved my seat with a theatre that serves alcohol now...:nyah:

I will never understand why people need to stare when they hear the 'pss-ch' sound when they hear a beer being opened up during a movie theater. 

That's how we watched every MTV ensemble movie with Johnny Knoxville and company. 

Number 4 is reportedly coming to theaters soon. 

Edited by Buzzetta

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I will never understand why people need to stare when they hear the 'pss-ch' sound when they hear a beer being opened up during a movie theater. 

That's how we watched every MTV ensemble movie with Johnny Knoxville and company. 

Number 4 is reportedly coming to theaters soon. 

Simple - jealousy.

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Simple - jealousy.

It is not meant to trivialize the events but I do notice things that have changed due to tragedy. 

Pre 9/11 I used to order a pizza at Yankee Stadium and the guy would hand it to me over the turnstyle in the bleachers.   Slip the guy a $5 and sometimes a slice and no one really cared. 

Pre Colorado - depending on when you went a friend of mine would walk into a movie with a minicoller - capable of holding a six pack - those sling bag things to enjoy a movie.

Now, those are no bueno. 

59 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Agreed!

Sorry. Still laughing at the strong reactions some are having to the direction changes.

Reveal hidden contents

Why the hell are they showing Star Wars at a zoo?

Jeez Louise STFU you screeching animals! :makepoint: Humans are watching a movie! :sumo:

BTW... just saw it today... not as bad as the bad reviews said. It folds up the story, though the amount of characters making their final curtain calls was a bit heavy-handed. Meh, I didn't care. It's a Star Wars movie, much moreso than I, II or (possibly) III were.

Solid B.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Agreed!

Hide contents

I had no issue with the scene. (shrug)

28 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Wow. Sounds like the kindergarten class went on a field trip and the teacher ditched out to see Cats.

It's due to people like this that I get into fights in public with total strangers.  I do not have the willpower to keep my mouth shut and personally tell people to shut up. 

I have been told that eventually someone is going to shoot me. 

Maybe so... Maybe not... 

14 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Aaaaaaaand will never be in another Star Wars or Disney project ever again. 

Kinda funny since his character completely sucked and he way over-acted the role in probably the weakest episode in the show anyway. 

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Just saw the movie...sigh...

Just to level set, The Last Jedi was an abomination...it basically destroyed huge parts of Star Wars lore and mythology, as well as being a badly written illogical poorly acted placeholder cash grab of a movie.
“Rise of the Skywalker” was so badly hamstrung by that garbage movie, it’s almost unfair to judge its failings without understanding what a bad spot Rian and KK put them in. 

Having said all that, J.J. did himself and the audience absolutely no favors in this new film.  He could have recovered the core in so many ways, instead he created a chaotic meandering video game of a movie. Rey is still an overpowered no personality ultra mega superhero. Kylo is somewhat interesting but mostly irrelevant foil. The rest of the characters are plug and play interchangeable. This movie is just never ending mission runs and throw away dialogue.

When I heard the emperor laugh in the ads then saw him in the trailers, I knew no one at Disney actually loved or cared about Star Wars or it’s fans. They had no respect for the characters and their importance to fans over many generations. They just care about CYA and grabbing as many short term nickels as possible.

This is a bad movie that could have been more but decided against it. The only thing good it does is completely all over Rian Johnson and “The Last Jedi”.  That felt good to see.

Bring on Baby Yoda. Disney should be falling at Jon Favreau’s feet thanking him for (so far) saving them. 

Agree 99.9% with this. I would only say JJ does have a deep love and respect for Star Wars. Clearly a lifelong fan even tho he was behind the wheel for 2 out of 3 of this jumbled mess.  RJ on the other hand has no clue about SW.  I have absolutely no doubt that before he signed on for this, he probably had only seen the original movies a handful of times, if that.   I’ve seen several interviews with him and he always needs to insert “that he’s a fan”. You don’t get that from JJ or Favreau.