• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

It'll go way past 1.01B. Again, this movie will have stronger legs than LJ and it's the last Star Wars movie for a long, long time. That will start to sink in for lovers and haters alike.

-8.5% behind The Last Jedi domestically and the daily results are worse. That's numbers - not haters dreaming. Though the fanatical love of the franchise will help push this over $1B most definitely.

starwars01.thumb.PNG.31ffe655e3274ea9db65c435a5b73aee.PNG

Even with the mixed reactions from critics and audiences.

DC_MCU_BO200102a.thumb.PNG.4c878ee8784c19135a8b4c300447b984.PNG

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

-8.5% behind The Last Jedi domestically and the daily results are worse. That's numbers - not haters dreaming. Though the fanatical love of the franchise will help push this over $1B most definitely.

starwars01.thumb.PNG.31ffe655e3274ea9db65c435a5b73aee.PNG

Even with the mixed reactions from critics and audiences.

DC_MCU_BO200102a.thumb.PNG.4c878ee8784c19135a8b4c300447b984.PNG

We shall see.

There's definitely still backlash from TLJ.

I'm still trying to convince friends and family that this is worth watching in theaters. They don't wanna spend any money on Star Wars.

TLJ was the wrong opportunity to try changing the lore of an ongoing saga.

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

We shall see.

We shall. So far, from Day 11 to 13 all three previous non-spin-off films were stronger domestically. Including Rogue One. And by Day 10 even Rogue One had a stronger daily box office.

It could pop due to Star Wars fanatics wanting anything they can get their eyes on. It's very possibly. But so far, the current shift is not looking stronger than a normal Star Wars film.

Here's a better way to chart that second activity by using each film as the denominator and the difference between the film and Rise of Skywalker as the numerator (what % difference, + or -, is a film to RoS). If a cell is green, that film was higher than RoS on the same day. If red, lower than RoS on the same day.

starwars01.thumb.PNG.62a329f460ae4defb4c974697fbf97e6.PNG

Now the good thing for RoS is the differences are dipping. So there is a chance that gap will tighten or disappear. But right now, TLJ was 8.5% ahead of RoS by Day 13 ($37.5M more).

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's definitely still backlash from TLJ.

I'm still trying to convince friends and family that this is worth watching in theaters. They don't wanna spend any money on Star Wars.

TLJ was the wrong opportunity to try changing the lore of an ongoing saga.

If you’ve got a quality dine in theater nearby, send the f&f there.  The movie sucks hard, but it makes for mildly amusing background noise if you’ve got a good meal and a couple beers to accompany it.  Just sell them on dinner being the primary reason for going.

22 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Image if Sony or WB got caught doing this, and the reactions that would occur.

RoS_Audience2.thumb.PNG.ca6b6519e8e0dc7f0d1955b93d8ab55a.PNG

As far as RT goes, should a 2/4 or C grade by the reviewer be considered “rotten?” Ever since the Captain Marvel debacle I’m less and less inclined to pay attention to online movie scores. RT after all is partly owned by WB. I’ll be my own judge whether a movie is good or not. I enjoyed both Joker and Knives Out but their RT scores couldn’t have been more different from each other.

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Image if Sony or WB got caught doing this, and the reactions that would occur.

RoS_Audience2.thumb.PNG.ca6b6519e8e0dc7f0d1955b93d8ab55a.PNG

Also, are you saying the audience score should be lower? I’ve talked to a lot of folks in real life who have seen it and most liked or loved it unless they wanted to see more Last Jedi development which is a mistake. Luke is not a curmudgeon and Rey can’t have done what she did in FA and be a nobody.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Also, are you saying the audience score should be lower? I’ve talked to a lot of folks in real life who have seen it and most liked or loved it unless they wanted to see more Last Jedi development which is a mistake. Luke is not a curmudgeon and Rey can’t have done what she did in FA and be a nobody.

The statistical probability with that many votes (78,135) now this has been a steady 86% is beyond ludicrous. Especially when you look at IMDb and Metacritic where it is scoring 5.0 to 6.9/10 now. It is clear Fandango is holding the score at a steady 86% to counter the ever-decreasing critic score.

As far as RT goes, should a 2/4 or C grade by the reviewer be considered “rotten?” Ever since the Captain Marvel debacle I’m less and less inclined to pay attention to online movie scores. RT after all is partly owned by WB. I’ll be my own judge whether a movie is good or not. I enjoyed both Joker and Knives Out but their RT scores couldn’t have been more different from each other.

When critics were making it so personal with Joker, they misquoted actual history to make the case...

Joker_Davefontana.thumb.png.920ba7f8bc17433d4215f6f838e282a5.png

And WB gave up its majority rights to Fandango as part of the sale. So the 'partly owned by WB' story it can influence RT flew out the window back in 2016.

Fandango Buys Rotten Tomatoes, Flixster

Online ticketing service Fandango has agreed to acquire Flixster and movie review-aggregator Rotten Tomatoes from Warner Bros. Entertainment for an undisclosed price. Warner Bros. Entertainment will take an equity position in Fandango and become an ongoing strategic partner.

Who leads Fandango? A former Disney senior executive that ran Disney.com and all Disney marketing.

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The statistical probability with that many votes (78,135) now this has been a steady 86% is beyond ludicrous. Especially when you look at IMDb and Metacritic where it is scoring 5.0 to 6.9/10 now. It is clear Fandango is holding the score at a steady 86% to counter the ever-decreasing critic score.

exactly, this number is as rigged as GE's earnings used to be

Edited by paperheart

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

When critics were making it so personal with Joker, they misquoted actual history to make the case...

And WB gave up its majority rights to Fandango as part of the sale. So the 'partly owned by WB' story it can influence RT flew out the window back in 2016.

Who leads Fandango? A former Disney senior executive that ran Disney.com and all Disney marketing.

But who then owns the majority of Fandango? Comcast, who lost Fox to Disney and seemingly hates the Mouse so much that you can’t get the Disney+ app on Comcast boxes. I had to buy an AppleTV box to get Disney+ because our smart TV is dumb. I personally don’t trust any of them except my own taste, and I thought Rise of Skywalker was the best film in the new Star Wars trilogy. Does anybody want to counter that and say Force Awakens was a better movie? Because it wasn’t.

31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And who’s to say critics aren’t unfairly judging ROS because it’s reversing some of the revelations from their beloved Last Jedi?

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And who’s to say critics aren’t unfairly judging ROS because it’s reversing some of the revelations from their beloved Last Jedi?

There could be some of that with RoS, and folks holding onto their original trilogy fond memories.

But you brought up Joker and Knives Out like the two films were dealing with an even playing field. Joker actually had multiple critics citing 'incel inspiration' and fake Aurora shooting history to warn people off from seeing it. Including io9 and The Guardian reporting there were known pending theater attacks. I'll have to check if there have been any news reports of the 501st attacking theaters. :baiting:

But who then owns the majority of Fandango? Comcast, who lost Fox to Disney and seemingly hates the Mouse so much that you can’t get the Disney+ app on Comcast boxes. I had to buy an AppleTV box to get Disney+ because our smart TV is dumb. I personally don’t trust any of them except my own taste, and I thought Rise of Skywalker was the best film in the new Star Wars trilogy. Does anybody want to counter that and say Force Awakens was a better movie? Because it wasn’t.

Comcast hates Disney? They got into a bidding war. But I am not sure there is hate involved.

But I can see with streaming there will be efforts to outdo one another. Not sure about tampering with theater film releases since Fandango makes it money by - wait for it - selling tickets which includes that wonderful $5 'convenience fee' we all have come to appreciate.

:(

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Comcast hates Disney? They got into a bidding war. But I am not sure there is hate involved.

But I can see with streaming there will be efforts to outdo one another. Not sure about tampering with theater film releases since Fandango makes it money by - wait for it - selling tickets which includes that wonderful $5 'convenience fee' we all have come to appreciate.

:(

I myself buy online tickets from the theater company I’m seeing the movie at, like AMC or IMAX or whatever. The AMC convenience fee is only like $2 where I live and I have a membership at our IMAX. You have to plan ahead to get ahead these days

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

TFA is far, far better.  Derivation aside, it kicked off what should have been the next wave of original episodes.

ROS is a mindless circle jerk that was put out to make 10 figures for Disney and hopefully shut people up about TLJ.

While we’re on the topic of better, TLJ is abysmally bad, but is also better than ROS.  Rian Johnson epically failed, but he at least tried.  Abrams proved he’s an unimaginative hack with ROS.

Edited by mattn792
Grammar rodeo

9 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I myself buy online tickets from the theater company I’m seeing the movie at, like AMC or IMAX or whatever. The AMC convenience fee is only like $2 where I live and I have a membership at our IMAX. You have to plan ahead to get ahead these days

Regal is big in our area. And they charge $5 as a convenience fee for purchasing tickets online. We have an AMC theater/dinner in the area, and they charge a $9 convenience fee online.