• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think Rose of Skywawalker will beat Last Jedi and get closer to 1.5 billion

As the capstone film of a decades-long franchise, that is most probably the expectation. Or more. Time will tell.

:popcorn:

2 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

The set up to cutting off Lukes hand was an emphasis on just how ruthless he is, he only did it to disarm him.

He also did it about two seconds after Luke scored a hit on his right bicep, and that's a part of him that was still left intact after Obi-Wan wrecked him on Mustafar.

Every lightsaber battle gets better and better as time went on.  This one was far better than the one from Episode IV, and the theatrics of the fights in Episode VI were better than V.  But the prequels took it to an entirely new level, and the fights in the Abrams films didn't even eclipse those, surprisingly.  I'd rank Rey vs. Kylo Ren in that forest somewhere in the top 20 had I continued beyond a top 10, but it just wasn't as good as many of the saber battles from the prequels.

Started back up on the Clone Wars series...damn that series is SO good, most episodes are as good as half of the live action films.  Give Dave Filoni creative control of Star Wars, NOW!  :sumo:

Edited by fantastic_four

After 'The Rise of Skywalker,' it's time for 'Star Wars' to go away (at least for a while) 

“Star Wars” has come to an end. Not the end, of course - there’s much more money for Disney to make, plus Scrooge McDuck’s coffers go to infinity and beyond. But “The Rise of Skywalker” both wraps up 42 years of galactic storytelling and proves it’s time for “Star Wars” movies to go away. For a while.

There’s no pleasure in typing that because I don’t want to say goodbye. “Star Wars” is something that’s been there essentially my whole life. It’s in my DNA. I was there on opening day of 1983’s “Return of the Jedi” when I was 7 the same way I was there on opening day of the 1997 special edition of George Lucas’ original film with my college friends. Granted, “Rise of Skywalker” isn’t great, but I lived through the prequels and those were plenty worse.

“Star Wars” has overstayed its welcome to a degree, though. That whole thing about supply and demand? It applies to geek-friendly sci-fi mega-franchises. There was a 16-year gap between “Return of the Jedi” and the first prequel, “The Phantom Menace.” When J.J. Abrams’ new trilogy starter “The Force Awakens” propelled "Star Wars" into pop-culture hyperspace in 2015, it had been a decade since “Revenge of the Sith” completed the first six episodes of the Skywalker saga.

In the last four years, we’ve had five “Star Wars” movies - the result of Disney buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion in 2012 and making hay with an A-list property. Not to mention the various comic books, novels, animated series and the first live-action “Star Wars” TV show, “The Mandalorian.” It's been an exciting time for a fan base that previously waited years for a lightsaber battle on the big screen, though now we've gone  to the opposite extreme.

That whole thing about absence making the heart grow fonder? It also applies to geek-friendly sci-fi mega-franchises. “Star Wars” needs to feel special again, and the recent deluge of content has undermined that. Fans seem to take these movies for granted now that there's been so many in such a short amount of time - they were true events, and a big deal because no one knew if another would ever come. Now, thanks to corporate press releases, movies have been slated for Christmases in 2022, 2024 and 2026, although they are officially on a "hiatus." (If they took even more time, that wouldn’t be the end of the world.)

The Jedi-loving contingent, though, is a problem in itself. Rian Johnson’s 2017 “The Last Jedi” drew out an unnerving number of online trolls, but even sensible viewers voiced their concerns about Mark Hamill’s hero Luke Skywalker becoming a hermit and not getting back in the fight against the Empire-esque First Order.

Looking at the third trilogy as a whole shows a trio of parts that don’t work together. Add that to the behind-the-scenes drama of the spinoffs, “Rogue One” and especially “Solo” (which fired its original directors weeks before filming ended), and bigger issues seem afoot. Meanwhile, the interconnected Marvel movies have lapped “Star Wars” in relevance, with “Avengers: Endgame,” unlike “Skywalker,” sticking its saga landing. Perhaps “Star Wars” needs a George Lucas-type creative puppet master akin to Marvel’s superhero honcho Kevin Feige.

The television shows are in such a good place I'm fine with the films disappearing for a while.  Mandalorian rocks, and Clone Wars is coming back in February.  If those are the only two outlets for new content I'm satisfied, particularly given that they can probably do YEARS of stories building up Boba Fett at some point like they were starting to do back in 2014 when Disney shortsightedly cancelled Clone Wars.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

The television shows are in such a good place I'm fine with the films disappearing for a while.  Mandalorian rocks, and Clone Wars is coming back in February.  If those are the only two outlets for new content I'm satisfied, particularly given that they can probably do YEARS of stories building up Boba Fett at some point like they were starting to do back in 2014 when Disney shortsightedly cancelled Clone Wars.

Don't forget Obi Wan is on the way too.

Totally forgot about Obi-Wan, should be great.

I'm going to be IMMERSED in Star Wars for most of the next year because I JUST finished Clone Wars season 1 this week so I've got well over 200 episodes of mostly solid stories ahead.  :cloud9:

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

He also did it about two seconds after Luke scored a hit on his right bicep, and that's a part of him that was still left intact after Obi-Wan wrecked him on Mustafar.

Every lightsaber battle gets better and better as time went on.  This one was far better than the one from Episode IV, and the theatrics of the fights in Episode VI were better than V.  But the prequels took it to an entirely new level, and the fights in the Abrams films didn't even eclipse those, surprisingly.  I'd rank Rey vs. Kylo Ren in that forest somewhere in the top 20 had I continued beyond a top 10, but it just wasn't as good as many of the saber battles from the prequels.

Agreed

I really enjoyed Yodas fight against Palpatine 

Matter of fact IMO any saber duel Yoda has been in ranks in my top 5. He seemed "one" with his lightsaber, like it was apart of his body, and as they say "A weapon is an extension of your arm"

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I really enjoyed Yodas fight against Palpatine 

Matter of fact IMO any saber duel Yoda has been in ranks in my top 5. He seemed "one" with his lightsaber, like it was apart of his body, and as they say "A weapon is an extension of your arm"

Same.  I had that at #9 and then #10 in my list before editing it out, but it's really good.  The main thing dragging that down is Palpatine...he wasn't as stiff as Vader from the original trilogy, but he was close.  Actually he was JUST as stiff, they just spiced it up with his maniacal laughing and using CGI to have him hopping around more than Vader did.

The most ridiculous saber battle in any movie is Palpatine vs. Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar, and Saesee Tiin.  I really hate that they punked all three of those guys in seconds and that we almost never got to see Windu showing off why he's a premiere saber fighter.  I love Ian McDiarmid's acting in the films, but his physical skill with a saber was awful.

FYI the reason for the drastic increase in the fight scenes in ESB and ANH is they Dave Prowse was replaced by Fencing legend and stuntman Bob Anderson. Replacing an aged Alec with 20 something Hamill didn’t hurt either :)

Bob later went on to train viggo mortensen for LOTR as well as choreograph the sword fights for all three in the Trilogy.  He also was the guy Connor McLeod killed in the opening scene of Highlander.