• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, mattn792 said:

If you’ve got a quality dine in theater nearby, send the f&f there.  The movie sucks hard, but it makes for mildly amusing background noise if you’ve got a good meal and a couple beers to accompany it.  Just sell them on dinner being the primary reason for going.

Why you lie?

On 1/16/2018 at 8:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

Because we can never have too many Star Wars threads... Figured I would start the thread for the next and final chapter of the Skywalker saga.   

Try to keep discussion of Episode 8 out of it (hint the debate) unless it is linked to Episode 9 discussion. 

Remember kiddies... rumors are fun... spoilers are bad. 

lol

Sorry. When I clicked on the thread and read this, I had to laugh. Thank goodness The Last Jedi is in our rearview mirror, right?

:bigsmile:

Seems appropriate that we’re on page 86 of this thread!

Oh, and I give ROS a C+.  Strong visuals and set pieces at times, and the actors did well with the -script they were given...but I didn’t like how much of the film involved fetch quests, massive plot conveniences, a lack of stakes, and almost zero setup in previous films for major plot points, maguffins, and characters such as Palpatine.  

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If the average fan thinks this is an 8.5/10 movie, then I'm not going to disagree with them. It's somewhere above a 6 and below a 9.

Statistically, the probability of this steady a score over 79,217 even Jiminy Cricket would be scratching his chin over. It isn't factual.

I very much appreciate many Disney productions. But this is obvious market manipulation to counter the decreasing critic score.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Statistically, the probability of this steady a score over 79,217 even Jiminy Cricket would be scratching his chin over. It isn't factual.

I very much appreciate many Disney productions. But this is obvious market manipulation to counter the decreasing critic score.

I'm unconvinced - only because it aligns with TLJ's Critics vs Audience.

Critics love TLJ and hate TROS. Audience hates TLJ and likes TROS. Just makes sense to me.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm unconvinced - only because it aligns with TLJ's Critics vs Audience.

Critics love TLJ and hate TROS. Audience hates TLJ and likes TROS. Just makes sense to me.

Here's an example how even the smallest of deviations from a trend shifts the average.

Film_X.PNG.efede1a9872bc771c9b1c3402ffaa403.PNG

Now imagine that in the thousands occurring each day, and balancing it against the mixed responses occurring over the finale's story handling and changes to the previous films. The probability this would bounce around over each day is much more reasonable than a steady daily 86%.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Here's an example how even the smallest of deviations from a trend shifts the average.

Film_X.PNG.efede1a9872bc771c9b1c3402ffaa403.PNG

Now imagine that in the thousands occurring each day, and balancing it against the mixed responses occurring over the finale's story handling and changes to the previous films. The probability this would bounce around over each day is much more reasonable than a steady daily 86%.

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's fairly representative of how good the movie actually is - which I think that 86% is fair.

It's clear to me that the critics have no idea what Star Wars is.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's fairly representative of how good the movie actually is - which I think that 86% is fair.

It's clear to me that the critics have no idea what Star Wars is.

But at least the fans loved it 100%.

Darn critics!

:baiting:

Why are Star Wars fans more prone to hyperbole than Marvel and DC fans?  When people were unhappy with something like Batman vs. Superman I don't recall reactions quite as extreme as "I'LL NEVER BE HAPPY AGAIN."

I guess it's because of the infrequency with which they're released.  But with the cartoons being so spectacular, and now the Mandalorian being great, I don't get that kind of reaction with Rise of Skywalker.  Plenty of other Star Wars content to turn to now that wasn't an option 15+ years ago aside from the Dark Horse comics and various novels.

18 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why are Star Wars fans more prone to hyperbole than Marvel and DC fans?  When people were unhappy with something like Batman vs. Superman I don't recall reactions quite as extreme as "I'LL NEVER BE HAPPY AGAIN."

I guess it's because of the infrequency with which they're released.  But with the cartoons being so spectacular, and now the Mandalorian being great, I don't get that kind of reaction with Rise of Skywalker.  Plenty of other Star Wars content to turn to now that wasn't an option 15+ years ago aside from the Dark Horse comics and various novels.

this crowd-pleasing episode falling further and further behind TLJ after $9.2MM day 14; even if it manages to hit $40MM weekend estimate will be roughly $65MM behind TLJ after day 18 (when holiday season is over). TLJ & Rogue One did $98MM & 92MM additionally after end of holiday corridor, IF ROS can match that looking at $550MM+/- finish.  IF 50/50 split holds, then $1.1BB WW.  At this point, $1.2BB seems like a giant reach.