• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Kinda.  ASM #1 did show up a few months after AF #15. 

Hulk #180 was... um... first. :wink:

doesn't make a difference what came first or later. Bottom line is that the 180 is going to get much more expensive than it is now, we all know this  

5 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

doesn't make a difference what came first or later. Bottom line is that the 180 is going to get much more expensive than it is now, we all know this  

so's 181. and so's AF15. not like they're going to stop increasing in value either. 

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

the 9.4 that just sold on ebay was at a store in st louis. i spoke to them on the phone. their store price was $6,400, i wanted it, but the guy didn't want to deal with shipping. it was a bit baffling since he has to ship through ebay too, but in the end he waited for his price, and got it. after his fees he still came out a bit ahead, assuming he has an ebay store. it's very tough to imagine that the book will go up much more in the near term. but everyone who has said this has been proven wrong before. 

one thing is clear, the premium for nice white page copies seems to also be increasing. they seem less common than on ASM129 in all mid to high grades. 

Here's the copy. Maybe it sold high because other than the writing on the back it looks too sharp for a 9.4. Would the writing cause the downgrade? Can't see anything else that would merit a 9.4

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

55 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Here's the copy. Maybe it sold high because other than the writing on the back it looks too sharp for a 9.4. Would the writing cause the downgrade? Can't see anything else that would merit a 9.4

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I would imagine that prominent of writing would keep it from getting to a 9.6. 2c

-J.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Whoever bought this copy must be desperate or a noob at collecting.  The wrap is atrocious. 

15 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Whoever bought this copy must be desperate or a noob at collecting.  The wrap is atrocious. 

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but, yeah, the wrap and look how skewed the alignment is on the back cover. Some people just don't care about that stuff and God bless 'em for it, but that would drive me batty more than the writing.

Edited by Martin Sinescu

33 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but, yeah, the wrap and look how skewed the alignment is on the back cover. Some people just don't care about that stuff and God bless 'em for it, but that would drive me batty more than the writing.

Every one has their own personal set of preferred criteria and deal breakers when it comes to their collection, while others are just happy to have a chance to own such a high grade copy of a mega-grail.

-J.

7 hours ago, scooter99 said:

For realz, horrible wrap and writing?

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Every one has their own personal set of preferred criteria and deal breakers when it comes to their collection, while others are just happy to have a chance to own such a high grade copy of a mega-grail.

-J.

Agreed, certainly. Just seems odd when I see a copy selling for top $$$ and my first reaction is :fear:

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I don’t follow 181 very closely, but it’s a bronze...aren’t WP’s common?

Not that common, I've definitely seen a frustrating amount of OW-W on 181.

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Agreed, certainly. Just seems odd when I see a copy selling for top $$$ and my first reaction is :fear:

Hahahaha!

So are you really saying (this below)?  

Excited new owner on cloud 9 jumping for joy after purchasing this book shouldn't have any words with you?  :popcorn:

9 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I don’t follow 181 very closely, but it’s a bronze...aren’t WP’s common?

not that common for a bronze book. most CC CL and heritage auctions will have maybe one or two WP copies between 8.0 through 9.8 and usually twice the amount in non white page quality. ASM129 is easier to find with WP. perhaps collectors are hording the WP more than previously.