• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

There was another 9.2 same page Q that was a bit better centered that auctioned for 6800 an hour after this one. Not great either but not too bad. There were three 9.2s being auctioned here ending at the same time on eBay tonight which worked against them. Terrible timing for the sellers! Just put a BIN on it guys

100% dead on MGsimba77 and again when doing day to day micro evaluations there will be highs and lows however overall the future looks pretty solid for #181 imo. 

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Why? If the book is really so great and hot, auctions should sell very well.

I don't think anyone would dispute that the book has been red-hot over the past year or so. However, the idea that each and every sale is going to be a home run is ridiculous. ( if you research the data this is true even with the holiest of grails Action 1 & Tec 27). I would also note that after buying and selling on eBay for 18 yrs I have found your rolling the dice each and every time you put a big ticket book up at auction, there are just so many variables positives and negative either way but overall I have found BIN prices tend to be higher than auction on not only comics but most items sold on eBay.

Edited by Frank Mozz

6 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

I don't think anyone would dispute that the book has been red-hot over the past year or so. However, the idea that each and every sale is going to be a home run is ridiculous. ( if you research the data this is true even with the holiest of grails Action 1 & Tec 27). I would also note that after buying and selling on eBay for 18 yrs I have found your rolling the dice each and every time you put a big ticket book up at auction, there are just so many variables positives and negative either way but overall I have found BIN prices tend to be higher than auction on not only comics but most items sold on eBay.

Sounds right. I think you'd stand a fair chance of a decent final bid for 9.4, 9.6, definitely 9.8 preferably in a high profile site like Comic connect or Clink. A 9.8 recently auctioned for ~32k on Clink. Any lower grade it's more a buyer's market & your odds for a good auction result go way down.

Just because a book is hot doesn't mean bidders won't try to squeeze out the lowest bid they can get away with. That's what bidders do. Besides the maximum auction duration is just 10 days on eBay. That's not long enough. Also if I'm not mistaken the bid increments on eBay are lower than other places.

A fellow boardie here recently sold a 9.0 for 7500 not because he impatiently auctioned it off but because he had a BIN listing with best offers and was patient! You think he gets anywhere near that with an auction?! There are similar examples for other grades as well. 

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Sounds right. I think you'd stand a fair chance of a decent final bid for 9.4, 9.6, definitely 9.8 preferably in a high profile site like Comic connect or Clink.

Looking over GPA I think this is about right & an average of where we are at on any given day on the top graded books.....................9.8 20/22k ish 9.6 10k/12  9.4 8k/10 9.2 5.5k/7 9.0 4/5k

16 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

Looking over GPA I think this is about right & an average of where we are at on any given day on the top graded books.....................9.8 20/22k ish 9.6 10k/12  9.4 8k/10 9.2 5.5k/7 9.0 4/5k

9.8 around 20-22K? Seems a bit low. Maybe possible for OW/W pages only.  

Current Heritage Auction with 16 days left: https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7192-91069.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by carefulsum

17 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

$20k-$22k for a 9.8? $10k for a 9.6? 

Not hardly. Lol

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

$20k-$22k for a 9.8? $10k for a 9.6? 

Not hardly. Lol

-J.

I love how you focus on the 10k & not the 10/12k range as noted in my post. The facts are the 12 month Average is just above 10k/12.400 So .........yes hardly :)

Edited by Frank Mozz

3 hours ago, carefulsum said:

9.8 around 20-22K? Seems a bit low. Maybe possible for OW/W pages only.  

Current Heritage Auction with 16 days left: https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7192-91069.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Yea after looking I think your right its a bit low even with ow/w.  25/27k I think is a little more in tune with current trends & again depending on the auction and page quality.

28 minutes ago, Frank Mozz said:

Yea after looking I think your right its a bit low even with ow/w.  25/27k I think is a little more in tune with current trends & again depending on the auction and page quality.

"Page quality" has virtually no effect or bearing on what this book sells for. And it is generally accepted that GPA is a trailing indicator of value on particularly hot books.  

-J.

12 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

"Page quality" has virtually no effect or bearing on what this book sells for. And it is generally accepted that GPA is a trailing indicator of value on particularly hot books.  

-J.

:baiting: Really ? :devil: :foryou: 

46 minutes ago, Frank Mozz said:

I love how you focus on the 10k & not the 10/12k range as noted in my post. The facts are the 12 month Average is just above 10k/12.400 So .........yes hardly :)

You're absolutely right on that however I think a more accurate reflection of a book this in demand might be a 90 day average instead of a 12 month. I don't think a copy sold in October/November 2017 holds much sway in today's market

21 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

You're absolutely right on that however I think a more accurate reflection of a book this in demand might be a 90 day average instead of a 12 month. I don't think a copy sold in October/November 2017 holds much sway in today's market

The problem with that is then you get the guys with " just wait it's not going to last"  or "you only looked at the 90 average, which was kinda what went down with several posts here on this thread. But given that this book is smoking right now your point is well taken and very fair.

Edited by Frank Mozz

39 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

I would have to kindly disagree, page quality & even color and centering will always have an impact on the book with some high-end buyers, as to GPA not sure who its generally accepted with on a book that been hot for well over a year, but a quick look still confirms 10/12k is HARDLY way out of wack. 

Edited by Frank Mozz

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

And it is generally accepted that GPA is a trailing indicator of value on particularly hot books.

That definitely applies with IH 180 in 9.8. None have sold in forever! It's a low census but not that low. It's true for low census books overall in a generally hot market

On 10/31/2018 at 1:37 AM, Frank Mozz said:

I would have to kindly disagree, page quality & even color and centering will always have an impact on the book with some high-end buyers, as to GPA not sure who its generally accepted with on a book that been hot for well over a year, but a quick look still confirms 10/12k is HARDLY way out of wack. 

But if given a choice between cgc 8 which is cream to off white vs cgc 7-7.5 which is offwhite/ white pages, I would still prefer cgc 8 ( cream to off white pages) . I think the grading is more impt?