• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can a comic with a date stamp receive a 9.8 grade?

20 posts in this topic

This Superman 232 is on ComicLink coming up for auction.  It is graded by CGC 9.8 with a date stamp on the cover; the standard by which all other 232's should be held....with a DATE STAMP ON THE COVER!!  

Date stamps on the cover detract from the eye appeal.  Period.  

Your credibility as a grading company has taken a hit with me...and I own approx 200 CGC graded books from the Silver Age and Golden Age...

Superman.232.CGC.9.8.jpg

I really like most date stamps, particularly when crisp and well placed.

But not those that are smudged, though, those can really look bad.

Sometimes they are very faint and might be a slight detraction from the book.

A lot of defects that are visible on close inspection are not mentioned on labels, though i wouldn't mind if labels always included "date stamp" when present.

Edited by grebal
bottom line - can't see the problem with things that are visible

1 hour ago, KMattCurtis said:

This Superman 232 is on ComicLink coming up for auction.  It is graded by CGC 9.8 with a date stamp on the cover; the standard by which all other 232's should be held....with a DATE STAMP ON THE COVER!!  

Your credibility as a grading company has taken a hit with me...and I own approx 200 CGC graded books from the Silver Age and Golden Age...

Superman.232.CGC.9.8.jpg

I don't like the date stamp on this book because it is very faded. However, an original date stamp is very cool and adds to the history. Many of us try and get a book with a date stamp on our birthday. Others feel like you but I think more of us like a date stamp. I think it is correct that CGC basically ignores the date stamp. If they can ignore Marvel chipping, writing, misalignment, corner bindery chips, etc, etc, etc. they can ignore a clean date stamp. BTW, I think most smeared date stamps are the result of  over humidifying for a press.

8 hours ago, KMattCurtis said:

Superman.232.CGC.9.8.jpg

Because date stamps are rad.  I look for them.  If I have two books identical in every way with the exception of a clean, legible date stamp; its date stamp every time.  Period.

21 hours ago, comicquant said:

Because date stamps are rad.  I look for them.  If I have two books identical in every way with the exception of a clean, legible date stamp; its date stamp every time.  Period.

+1 as others have said, it's part of the history of the book. It's the closest thing to a pedigree that a non-pedigree book can embody. 

14 hours ago, Phil the Governor said:

+1 as others have said, it's part of the history of the book. It's the closest thing to a pedigree that a non-pedigree book can embody. 

Well said...I'm in this camp too.  Two identical books, I'm taking the date stamp each and every time.

Jim

And what about all those 9.8s that have signatures across the covers?!!  SIGNATURES ACROSS THE COVERS!!!

And all those poorly drawn covers!  Given 9.8s!  There's no eye appeal there!!!!

Jeez, CGC.  Get with the program.

On February 1, 2018 at 8:35 AM, bighairjer said:

Well played.

More than just that....we are a hobby of niches; I love date stamps too as they are original to the books as distributed in their era. However, I can't stand autographs on comics. That said, there's a rabid subset fan base who actually pay more for these books in same grade as unsigned versions. I would pay less, if buy them at all. But that's me. (Probably not in a small camp either; I know I'm not alone on this.) The bigger point is we are a hobby of niches. Some are more broadly appreciated than others. Great thread in GA about books everyone loves that you could care less about, or somesuch. It truly illustrates our various niches. 

In the OP's defense, he's not alone in his opinion. I know an LCS that downgrades heavily for date stamps and prices accordingly. I grab all those :devil:

I shared an OO silver age collection on these boards last fall that was heavily characterized by prominent yet well-placed date stamps, and those books flew off the boards. Here's an example I kept.

image.jpeg

On 2/7/2018 at 9:14 PM, Readcomix said:

More than just that....we are a hobby of niches; I love date stamps too as they are original to the books as distributed in their era. However, I can't stand autographs on comics. That said, there's a rabid subset fan base who actually pay more for these books in same grade as unsigned versions. I would pay less, if buy them at all. But that's me. (Probably not in a small camp either; I know I'm not alone on this.) The bigger point is we are a hobby of niches. Some are more broadly appreciated than others. Great thread in GA about books everyone loves that you could care less about, or somesuch. It truly illustrates our various niches. 

In the OP's defense, he's not alone in his opinion. I know an LCS that downgrades heavily for date stamps and prices accordingly. I grab all those :devil:

I shared an OO silver age collection on these boards last fall that was heavily characterized by prominent yet well-placed date stamps, and those books flew off the boards. Here's an example I kept.

image.jpeg

Happy Valentines Day!