• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats a GA book everyone wants, that means noting to you?
6 6

198 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

romantichearts(2nd)9.jpg

This reminds me of a Blonde Phantom cover, nice colors, movement, almost the same layout as in Blonde Phantom...but in Blonde Phantom, Louise was the one carrying the gun and she  doesn't come across as quite such a brainless ditz. I understand that times were different, most of the artists were male, but I look at those covers, read the word balloons and cringe...and I felt that way the first time I saw them, and I must have been pretty young.

Now if you could show me a few where the guy is the du...umm less bright person and the woman showed common sense instead of just being in heat..maybe I'd read that one;) 

At least the majority of female superheroes were not just turned to jelly by the sight of a guy Even though Wonder Woman was a little too impressed with Steve she didn't need him to save her every time.

If Lois Lane were a hot GA comic, I might have mentioned her here;)

Do romance covers have wonderful art and colors, do I find the artists talented...absolutely, but they just don't make me want to buy them.

14 minutes ago, szavisca said:

The rate of growth in the market seems destined to level off at some point, but baring a depression or worldwide economic crisis I have a hard time believing this stuff could ever go down in value.  The world is getting bigger, the number of people interested will only grow but supply will essentially be the same forever.  The popularity of todays comic book movies has ensured another 40-50 year cycle of kids who grew up with them coming of age and into money, and getting nostalgic about what moved them in their youth.  A certain number of them will get bored with the hero books and turn their eyes towards other genres  such as romance, horror, sci-fi etc.  When they find out how rare they are in comparison the wealthier ones will pay through the nose for them... just like they do now.

Yea, I  have to agree, been collecting comics for 35 yrs and the " bottom will and must fall out guys" have been around forever, In terms of comics as a long term investment everyone who has been around awhile will agree there are high & low trends, things get hot and then they are not cycles ect. But overall the past 50+ year (mid 1960s is when I consider the birth of real comic fandom) the return on comics has been very good. However I 100% agree a worldwide economic crisis or depression would impact all markets not just comics.

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

The rate of growth in the market seems destined to level off at some point, but baring a depression or worldwide economic crisis I have a hard time believing this stuff could ever go down in value.  The world is getting bigger, the number of people interested will only grow but supply will essentially be the same forever.  The popularity of todays comic book movies has ensured another 40-50 year cycle of kids who grew up with them coming of age and into money, and getting nostalgic about what moved them in their youth.  A certain number of them will get bored with the hero books and turn their eyes towards other genres  such as romance, horror, sci-fi etc.  When they find out how rare they are in comparison the wealthier ones will pay through the nose for them... just like they do now.

As long as the apes can read comics future should be safe for collecting.

EFA7F769-E793-4746-8C57-81760819AD98.thumb.jpeg.62e4b827aed387ad948cfc41a5b194f0.jpegDFC82477-A17E-46BE-BC23-7DB9D846B0F5.jpeg.b2b0f5a18aa80bbe0a90b8b145e29c4c.jpeg

Start hoarding those ape covers...

78CDE339-FB6C-4866-AC9E-2B32FD37C04D.jpeg.0a279931449fbb12b635ef9c8ee58640.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

37 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Not a really a GA book, but Batman 121.  This book is insane on the price and seems to be on a lot of peoples want list but I mean come on, it is Mr Freeze !?  Did people not have this character completely destroyed by Arnold in that horrendous Batman 4 movie?

tumblr_mo0gddg9Y81rrkahjo10_250.gif

MedicalWatchfulAmethystsunbird-size_rest

Arnold couldn’t destroy the earlier Dini story IMO. 

Anyway Arnold or any of the other actors really were not  the problem in that Batman period but it was Joel Schumacher who trashed the franchise until it’s 2005 return.

Bat nipples? Really?

13036F4B-5703-40D2-AB34-9B35C1C30F42.jpeg.f376cf5b5b015bc871d8d8ffec1402c1.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

On 1/31/2018 at 2:15 PM, MrBedrock said:

Amazing Man 5

A man, an amazing-man, reduced to the form of a snake, on his belly, no feet no hands (technically speaking), eating a snake. In red underpants. Insightful commentary on the human condition? Or, maybe not a formula for long-term appeal?

On 1/31/2018 at 11:46 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don’t like decapitation covers.  There, I said it. I just don’t like seeing headless people on my comic covers. (shrug)

On 2/1/2018 at 12:43 AM, Ltpink2002 said:

1+

Agree. And also covers showing overly sadistic torture moments where there's no escape; I'm thinkin' Underworld Crime #7 and related.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:51 PM, Knightsofold said:

I like the tall ears on Batman’s mask, but the other figures are drawn so poorly I can’t believe how much people love this.

3541686C-82D1-4424-BE87-FE0DF7EE22E8.jpeg.769cc183ef77c6b4bbae73c6aa2c0d63.jpeg

On 2/2/2018 at 5:42 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yep.  Think the same thing.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:45 AM, Larryw7 said:

Batsy looks cool. That's why everyone wants it. Plus it has one of the best splash panels of the GA.

bat-gun.png

Well, with such a washed-out cover, no wonder Tec 35 isn't on your list, @Knightsofold ! ;)

I think the cover is among the most savage and gritty early Bats covers, with a great color palate, not to mention the key splash page that @Larryw7 points out. And a great story to boot.

Full disclaimer: I love hypodermic syringe covers. They're so, like, 1940.

G3N0V5P.png

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Agree. And also covers showing overly sadistic torture moments where there's no escape; I'm thinkin' Underworld Crime #7 and related.

:whatthe:

48 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Well, with such a washed-out cover, no wonder Tec 35 isn't on your list, @Knightsofold ! ;)

I think the cover is among the most savage and gritty early Bats covers, with a great color palate, not to mention the key splash page that @Larryw7 points out. And a great story to boot.

Full disclaimer: I love hypodermic syringe covers. They're so, like, 1940.

G3N0V5P.png

I too love hypodermic needle covers!! Maybe it’s because I’m a Murse who knows haha!! I only seem to like them when there is a hero coming to the rescue to save the day though!! 

33626889411_e70555f506_b.jpgMystic Comics v.2 #226029385675_bdcc6ccd61_b.jpgScan18745080772_47584779f0_b.jpg

4 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I too love hypodermic needle covers!! Maybe it’s because I’m a Murse who knows haha!! I only seem to like them when there is a hero coming to the rescue to save the day though!! 

33626889411_e70555f506_b.jpgMystic Comics v.2 #226029385675_bdcc6ccd61_b.jpgScan18745080772_47584779f0_b.jpg

Whoa, Gino, what a great string of books! I've never seen that Mystic #2 -- totally insane awesomeness!!!

On that Science #1, I've never been able to figure out what that device is exactly. To me it looks more like a tattoo needle or an electrical stimulator gadget. But who knows -- they were just making things up in the Golden Age!

My own tastes are esoteric enough  that I can appreciate the why of almost all higher demand books, even if they aren't something I'd actively look for. The books that mean nothing to me are pretty much the same books that mean little or nothing to most collectors, and would hardly qualify as something "everyone" wants.

The closest might be Reform School Girl, because I'm not a fan of photo-covers. But even there, I like the oddball and esoteric sound of the title.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:10 PM, jimjum12 said:

ACTION 1 ?

....Nothing but a winning lottery ticket to me....

Yes. With you on that. I'd have it long enough to market it properly and sell it.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:10 PM, jimjum12 said:

DETECTIVE 27 ?

.... just a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow .....

....I'd sell either as close to instantly as possible.

Not with you on that one. Batman is such a cool character I'd be sorely tempted to keep it.