• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

artist edition aftermarket?

21 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any aftermarket for Artist Editions?  25 editions in and counting, I'm looking to make space by selling a few that are duplicates or don't get looked at much.  I have an extra unopened first print Rocketeer, first Romita Spiderman and the Byrne Fantastic Four among the Editions looking for a new home.  But like I said, not sure what the best thing to do with them is.

Scott

6 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any aftermarket for Artist Editions?  25 editions in and counting, I'm looking to make space by selling a few that are duplicates or don't get looked at much.  I have an extra unopened first print Rocketeer, first Romita Spiderman and the Byrne Fantastic Four among the Editions looking for a new home.  But like I said, not sure what the best thing to do with them is.

Scott

I see them on ebay all the time polluting the OA section :)

I haven't paid attention to the prices (especially when compared to initial purchase) but I'm sure you can sell and get most of your money back and even additional money depending on the specific AE

Malvin

I just last week decided to throw away all my "original boxes."

Early on, these things were scarce and it seemed like one could double / triple your money reselling. These days there are only a couple of editions for which this still holds true.

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

I just last week decided to throw away all my "original boxes."

Early on, these things were scarce and it seemed like one could double / triple your money reselling. These days there are only a couple of editions for which this still holds true.

I'd heard the earlier editions had low print runs (in the range of 1000 or so) but IDW (and others) have increased the printings in recent years. Maybe someone with more direct knowledge can weigh in.

The Wally Wood volume, for example, was in very short supply when it was first released. It was the first EC book, and the first twice-up book. Now though, it has a second printing, an artisan edition version, and there are numerous EC and twice up volumes that exist to choose from.

I've found this site very informative about the AE books and he goes into a lot of detail which is interesting. As for myself I have all the Spidey editions the Wood Engel Davis and EC volumes also the Tomb of Dracula my latest which I just bought for my own birthday (if you can't treat yourself who will?) Here is the link:

https://aeindex.org/artists-edition-gallery-edition-original-art-archives-index/

On 1/31/2018 at 6:51 PM, tv horror said:

I've found this site very informative about the AE books and he goes into a lot of detail which is interesting. As for myself I have all the Spidey editions the Wood Engel Davis and EC volumes also the Tomb of Dracula my latest which I just bought for my own birthday (if you can't treat yourThatself who will?) Here is the link:

https://aeindex.org/artists-edition-gallery-edition-original-art-archives-index/

That's a good site for Artist Editions. I've seen some of them go for a lot once they go out of print like any book. The recent Wrightson NYCC variant was going for a bit now that it's sold out and was limited to I think 100. But it's just a different cover. I think the Art of Jose Gonzalez artbook goes for more than his Vampirella Artist Edition as the artbook went out of print first. But I think with the majority of these they will reprint if the demand is there.

12 hours ago, buyatari said:

How do these differ from the typical GN? 

Do they have artist sketches inside?

You are an original art fan and you don't know about Artist's Editions? :whatthe:  Dude, your world is about to get rocked.  They are oversized, lavishly produced books that are shot from the original art at full size.  It's like looking at the actual originals.  Google it, and you're welcome!

On 2/4/2018 at 5:19 PM, Doc McCoy said:
On 2/3/2018 at 1:39 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

And Throw in a signed sketch. 

^^

This.  Sign each one "From the personal collection of Scott Williams" with a small remark and you'll definitely get the money invested in them back, plus some.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.   lol

6 hours ago, chrisco37 said:
On 2/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, Doc McCoy said:
On 2/3/2018 at 10:39 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

And Throw in a signed sketch. 

^^

This.  Sign each one "From the personal collection of Scott Williams" with a small remark and you'll definitely get the money invested in them back, plus some.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.   lol

I appreciate the suggestions and the good place they are coming from, but I'm dubious that someone wanting a John Romita Spiderman Edition or a Byrne Fantastic Four is going to be more tempted just because it came from my collection.  And a remark would make sense with perhaps a Jim Lee/Scott Williams edition, but drawing something on a Romita edition for example would just seem wrong!  lol  

But again, I appreciate the suggestions guys!

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

36 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I appreciate the suggestions and the good place they are coming from, but I'm dubious that someone wanting a John Romita Spiderman Edition or a Byrne Fantastic Four is going to be more tempted just because it came from my collection.  And a remark would make sense with perhaps a Jim Lee/Scott Williams edition, but drawing something on a Romita edition for example would just seem wrong!  lol  

Scott

The sketch could be on a separate board so I, I mean, the potential buyer could resell the book later on  :gossip:

Sure...it's a bit (a lot) "tacky".   And I'm sure that a majority of the guys posting here (in the OA forum) would think it is.  BUT, I can almost assure you there are tons of collectors out there that would think it was awesome and would pay a premium for it.  

You come off as a pretty humble guy but, let's face it, to a legion of fanboys out there, you're basically a Rock Star.  There aren't many people (myself included) that, when they think of "Jim Lee art", don't think of it as "Lee/Williams"; it's like Byrne/Austin, Kirby/Sinnott, etc..  I'd think there are quite a few people out there that would love a "from the collection of Scott Williams" item.   Like other's have said, add a little head sketch of Spidey (or MJ or Gwen) on the Romita book, Ben Grimm head sketch on the FF.  

Look at the ridiculous premiums paid for Stan Lee signed books (on books he had absolutely Nothing to do with:  Hulk 181, NM98, etc..).   People are willing to pay it.  

Edited by chrisco37

40 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Scott

You never know. There's a market for DC books signed by Stan Lee so you have a chance to create a market for non-Jim Lee/Scott Williams AE's signed by Scott Williams