• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here we go again, potential for a nightmare ebay sale
3 3

56 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Michelangelo said:

I'm not opposed to you offering the buyer $15 as a goodwill-type gesture.

Granted, that won't cover all of his costs to get the book reholdered, but let's be real, he isn't getting the book reholdered. He's trying to squeeze a few bucks out of you and I think that's pretty crumby. I don't like doing business with people like that... 

I'd never give the guy $50; I'd much rather cancel the sale and sell it to someone else (after disclosing in the new listing that there's a scuff on the case) - 95% of buyers won't care about some tiny scuff like that.

Collectors are a fickle bunch, but getting hung up on that is nuts.

if I had not shipped the book yet I would have refunded the buyer, then blocked him and listed it again and ensure in my description to note the small scuff.

18 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

if I had not shipped the book yet I would have refunded the buyer, then blocked him and listed it again and ensure in my description to note the small scuff.

Sometimes I think you guys are crazier than these eBayers. 

The book sold for $1750 - $50 under the asking here.  It set a new GPA high by about $450 on a gift-graded book. :screwy: 

13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The book sold for $1750 - $50 under the asking here.  It set a new GPA high by about $450 on a gift-graded book. :screwy: 

Don't know about the gift grade but the $1,747 looks about right compared to the 5.5 and 6.5 that sold over the last few months ($1,315 & $2,738).  Book is obviously tough to get in mid grades and is getting hotter.  The price he got was a new record but not outrageous.

Edited by 1Cool

40 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Sure. I guess that is great, but sometimes it isn't about the value of the sale but the type of sale it is. I am not interested in playing the game that buyer is establishing.

I recently had a buyer tell me that the package was not delivered to him, I have proof of delivery via tracking. It goes to Ebay to settle the dispute, Ebay finds in my favor. 2 days later the buyer tells me the parcel was found and that now he does have it. So glad it all worked out. I don't believe a word he said and he was just trying to scam me or extract some additional value instead of just being a decent and honest Ebay user. Just like the buyer of this comic. We all know he wont bother to reholder the book.

19 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Sure. I guess that is great, but sometimes it isn't about the value of the sale but the type of sale it is. I am not interested in playing the game that buyer is establishing.

I recently had a buyer tell me that the package was not delivered to him, I have proof of delivery via tracking. It goes to Ebay to settle the dispute, Ebay finds in my favor. 2 days later the buyer tells me the parcel was found and that now he does have it. So glad it all worked out. I don't believe a word he said and he was just trying to scam me or extract some additional value instead of just being a decent and honest Ebay user. Just like the buyer of this comic. We all know he wont bother to reholder the book.

Sure Karl but imagine if this was your auction.  You've described the case as mint and you missed the scratch.  Cancelling the sale could easily cost you more than $15 if it sells for less, it was a strong price.  Telling the seller to pound jello on the $15 reduction could easily result in a neutral or negative feedback.  I suspect you and I and most of us would have made the same choice if this was our book 

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

If the seller had not advertised the case as pristine he should have 100% cancelled the sale and refunded the buyer, whether the buyer agreed to it or not, it would have been worth the neg. You don't deal with buyers that attempt to change the terms of a sale after an auction has been won or a buy it now has been claimed. You don't deal with buyers that are obviously unhappy with what they've purchased before they've even received it, because once they get the book they have all the leverage. 

On Voldemort's board, there are people who think it's perfectly acceptable to "lock in" a purchase by hitting a BIN, THEN doing their due diligence and backing out of the transaction if everything is not to their liking.

And if you say anything, no matter how politely, YOU are the a-hole, YOU are the jerk...not the guy who screwed with someone else's listing.

The comics industry is filled with addicts who behave atrociously, and viciously attack anyone who dares challenge them.

:cloud9:

3 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

I'm not opposed to you offering the buyer $15 as a goodwill-type gesture.

Granted, that won't cover all of his costs to get the book reholdered, but let's be real, he isn't getting the book reholdered. He's trying to squeeze a few bucks out of you and I think that's pretty crumby. I don't like doing business with people like that... 

I'd never give the guy $50; I'd much rather cancel the sale and sell it to someone else (after disclosing in the new listing that there's a scuff on the case) - 95% of buyers won't care about some tiny scuff like that.

Collectors are a fickle bunch, but getting hung up on that is nuts.

My thoughts exactly

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

On Voldemort's board, there are people who think it's perfectly acceptable to "lock in" a purchase by hitting a BIN, THEN doing their due diligence and backing out of the transaction if everything is not to their liking.

And if you say anything, no matter how politely, YOU are the a-hole, YOU are the jerk...not the guy who screwed with someone else's listing.

The comics industry is filled with addicts who behave atrociously, and viciously attack anyone who dares challenge them.

:cloud9:

Why limit this assessment to the comics industry Rock? They're everywhere mate. Everywhere...

13 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I am not trying to one a D-head, but why advertise pristine CGC case?  If the case were cracked I would mention that but I don't think it adds anything to the value of the book and only opens you up to this kind of stuff.

I have to agree with this comment. One time I won a book in auction, from a prominent auction house, and after receiving the book in hand I didn't like something about the case. I called and they said we are selling you the book, not the case, sorry. I think they are correct. You are selling the book and all comments on the listing should pertain to only the book. The case is irrelevant.

I think everyone is missing the most important part of this thread.....

6 hours ago, fmaz said:

I see your point and it's changed my opinion... does that break the internet?  lol

strangest Friday ever---- a simple straightforward exchange of thoughts and a boardie changes his opinion.....

:insane:

1 hour ago, W16227 said:

I think everyone is missing the most important part of this thread.....

7 hours ago, fmaz said:

I see your point and it's changed my opinion... does that break the internet?  lol

strangest Friday ever---- a simple straightforward exchange of thoughts and a boardie changes his opinion.....

:insane:

:whatthe:

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Last GPA was 8 months ago. That's an eternity for a tougher key.

8 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

I actually disagree with this based on actual costs to reholder  

Reholdering a slab carries an expense greater than just the $15 reholder fee. It would also include shipping BOTH ways, which probably runs another $15 each. 

So you’ve basically cost him an additional $30 instead of $45.  The right thing would be to send him another $35 ($50 total) to make it right.  He will sing your praises and you’ll have completed the request. 

That's harsh considering the scan showed the small defect in the slab and the bidder noticed it.

8 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

I actually disagree with this based on actual costs to reholder  

The right thing would be to send him another $35 ($50 total) to make it right.  

First....I'd take a huge hairy dump on it......then I'd throw the frigging thing off a cliff before I handed $50 over to some anal-retentive *spoon*hole for a scratch that's "about half the size of a grain of rice"

Then I'd put on my #MeToo t-shirt and pimp slap his mother for raising such a tool box.

3 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

First....I'd take a huge hairy dump on it......then I'd throw the frigging thing off a cliff before I handed $50 over to some anal-retentive *spoon*hole for a scratch that's "about half the size of a grain of rice"

Then I'd put on my #MeToo t-shirt and pimp slap his mother for raising such a tool box.

At last,  a sensible opinion :headbang: