• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here we go again, potential for a nightmare ebay sale
3 3

56 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

First....I'd take a huge hairy dump on it......then I'd throw the frigging thing off a cliff before I handed $50 over to some anal-retentive *spoon*hole for a scratch that's "about half the size of a grain of rice"

Then I'd put on my #MeToo t-shirt and pimp slap his mother for raising such a tool box.

Photos or it never happened! 

38 minutes ago, october said:
4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Sometimes I think you guys are crazier than these eBayers. 

The book sold for $1750 - $50 under the asking here.  It set a new GPA high by about $450 on a gift-graded book. :screwy: 

Last GPA was 8 months ago. That's an eternity for a tougher key.

However, I know YOU would have graded it correctly.

3 minutes ago, october said:
5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

However, I know YOU would have graded it correctly.

CGC has given out some....interesting....grades lately. Just got back a 6.5 that looks way worse than that. 

Yeah - well keep doing what your doing - my latest shipment from Okotoberfest II was way, way SCHWEEET!!! :banana: And that's because I totally agree with the grading!! :banana::banana: 

Just now, october said:
Just now, lizards2 said:

Yeah - well keep doing what your doing - my latest shipment from Okotoberfest II was way, way SCHWEEET!!! :banana: And that's because I totally agree with the grading!! :banana::banana: 

Thanks!

I'm super happy I didn't pause too long on the B&B 34 - that book is awesome for a mid-grade!  Probably what I'll only ever be able to afford.

this is happening to me more and more these days. especially with old holders. just got into a spat with an eBay buyer over some “scuffing” on the lower side of the slab. i didn’t even notice it. i knew he was just going to send it for a press or a reholder anyway. i didn’t advertise it as pristine but i did have it priced to sell well below the 90-day and offered free shipping and insurance. i offered him a full refund to return it. he wanted to keep it and be refunded $20. i told him to stick it and that i wasn’t paying for his reholder. i recently sold another slab in an old holder and the guy sent me a picture of a crack in the slab. there was no crack when i shipped it and furthermore he sent me pictures of the shipping box—no damage whatsoever. so he probably cracked it. i offered him the same thing, full refund for return. he wanted $15 for reholder.

so, bottom line, this is complete bullsh*t. lots more buyers are gonna start this garbage. it’s a perfect hustle. they threaten you with negative feedback and you feel pressured to just give back the $15 or $20 to avoid the hastle.

this is why i am done selling slabs on eBay. it was fun while it lasted.

CGC giving gift grades - shocker!!

I think I had this happen to me once and honestly can't remember if I gave in or not. It arrived to the byer with a small crack in the case. Reholdering was about $15, but the person was asking for shipping to and from CGC, and I think I told them to go fly a kite when they started going down that road.

I'd probably just say something like "just graded" and put some condition in there that if it's that important to you that the case is perfect, to take their business to @Domo Arigato

I feel like this is almost as bad as complaining if there is a scratch on the polypropylene bag of a regular old comic in bag and board.   I mean don't these CGC cases get switched out by people once they make the next new & improved modification anyway?  Glad I'm not anal retentive, & sleep pretty good at night.  

5 hours ago, shivascenario said:

this is happening to me more and more these days. especially with old holders. just got into a spat with an eBay buyer over some “scuffing” on the lower side of the slab. i didn’t even notice it. i knew he was just going to send it for a press or a reholder anyway. i didn’t advertise it as pristine but i did have it priced to sell well below the 90-day and offered free shipping and insurance. i offered him a full refund to return it. he wanted to keep it and be refunded $20. i told him to stick it and that i wasn’t paying for his reholder. i recently sold another slab in an old holder and the guy sent me a picture of a crack in the slab. there was no crack when i shipped it and furthermore he sent me pictures of the shipping box—no damage whatsoever. so he probably cracked it. i offered him the same thing, full refund for return. he wanted $15 for reholder.

so, bottom line, this is complete bullsh*t. lots more buyers are gonna start this garbage. it’s a perfect hustle. they threaten you with negative feedback and you feel pressured to just give back the $15 or $20 to avoid the hastle.

Just had two cases similar to this. Seems it is a growing trend on eBay.

1 minute ago, Poka said:
5 hours ago, shivascenario said:

Just had two cases similar to this. Seems it is a growing trend on eBay.

We taught them everything we knew.

refund for a scratch?? in my opinion  the case is simply to certify grade and protect the book as long as it is presentable,  I wouldn't complain or ask for a refund but

I probably would not have made any notations about the slab in the 1st place, during the sale. just my 2 cents 

As only having bought on Ebay, it's really sad that buyers do this. It ruins it for everyone, as a few of these dishonest bad apples try to do everything they can to "game the system", which makes it so that when the true legitimate buyer receives a broken case, that much harder to get it solved in a fair way.

Makes me appreciate the value of developing good relationships with local dealers. When trust goes both ways, both parties can benefit. When distrust goes both ways, both parties' experiences are worsened.

20 hours ago, shivascenario said:

Man I've received some really really sketchy holders from mostly non eBay sellers. 3 were from major auction sites. Obviously these defects weren't pointed out on the listings at the time nor were they visible from their single image on the listings. I never asked for any refunds! 

It's always best to post as many detailed pictures of the book as possible. Fully disclose any defects at all in description. Just throwing up a picture or 2 leaves you vulnerable to these types of shenanigans.