• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tried a new method of hanging art... pretty successful!

11 posts in this topic

Hi all - thought I'd share our experience today.  I just got two new pages back from the framer... and the day came I knew was coming... my published art wall  was going to need a reorganization.  No more just adding to it.

My wife had read about this method of hanging a "gallery" of art, and we gave it a try, and I have to say for people whose skills very much reside in areas OTHER than hanging stuff on the wall really nicely... we were happy with it!

So just in case it could help anyone else, thought I'd pass it along.

All that's required is some tracing paper!

Step #1 is to trace an outline of every piece you want to hang, and cut it out.
Step #2 is to then figure out on how far down you need the hook to  on the back... and mark that spot on your cut out.
Step #3 is to arrange your cutouts on the wall until you're happy with your new "gallery" layout.

So here's it looked like once we did that:

oalayout.thumb.jpg.c7f85f3ed8418afcfe8467eca1ffdf92.jpg

Step #4, is, once you've locked in your design layout, you nail in your hooks RIGHT INTO the tracing paper.  That way, you are certain your pieces should line up the way you want.
Step #5, you rip off the tracing paper, leaving just the hooks behind, and hang the art

oalayout2.thumb.jpg.b0b726a37ae879255622e4a88e187eb7.jpg

Obviously there was a lot of room for error in the tracing of art, the cutting of the tracing.... etc... but all things considered?  It did a really nice job of lining up the tops of the art!

oalayout3.thumb.jpg.1d2cba0a20ac5bb68ca47ff96d209cd0.jpg

Anyway, we found it to be a great way to both visualize what things will look like and move things around quickly AND to hang things with a reasonable amount of precision... and if WE could do it, TRUST ME, anyone can!

Hope that might be helpful!
Frank

2 minutes ago, malvin said:

Nice!

When I first skimmed your headline I thought you found a new successful way of HAGGLING for art! :)

Malvin

lol Nope,  my haggling methods are like my marinara sauce recipe... it’s a family secret.   ;)

Art hanging tips?  Those I’m happy to share!!

I find the best way to do it is make a photocopy of the back of the frame, then tape it up on the wall, set the nails / hangers based on the photocopies, and then you're all set when you put the real thing up.

I just make an image of the top, since (in theory) if the tops line up, everything should fall in place from there.

Great system. Will do next time around. 

Up to now - been eyeballing it and the extra holes ?-well no one will see them for many years to come as the art does a nice job of cover up.

Btw - the grey mats with black trim look great! Nice collection too!

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Great system. Will do next time around. 

Up to now - been eyeballing it and the extra holes ?-well no one will see them for many years to come as the art does a nice job of cover up.

Btw - the grey mats with black trim look great! Nice collection too!

Thanks!  Yeah,  Every piece I have (including the other wall not pictured) has the exact same frame/matt setup.... except that ONE page in the upper right corner.  And it drives me nuts.  It's just not worth $130 to get it redone.  But I keep forgetting to ask my frame guy what it would cost to see if they could just swap out the mat for me.  Next time I'm in there I'm going to ask.

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I find the best way to do it is make a photocopy of the back of the frame, then tape it up on the wall, set the nails / hangers based on the photocopies, and then you're all set when you put the real thing up.

I just make an image of the top, since (in theory) if the tops line up, everything should fall in place from there.

Well yeah, that's the same concept... but you'd need access to a big photocopier and one located where your art is located.  So for those who don't have those things, tracing paper is the cave man alternative.  But your way is a much easier and elegant solution! Nice!!!

On 2/5/2018 at 8:08 AM, otherworldsj331 said:

Seems like extra work to me when you can just pencil in small guide / sight lines for top and bottom. Still, if it works for you and you like it, who am I to say?

The frames and art do look great hung like like that.

Well one of the advantages though is it allows you to “hang” the art and move it around easily as you decide on the layout you want, you know? You don’t have to try to visualize how things will look in space you can see how they’ll fit using the paper.  Then when you’re set, you hang. 

But you’re correct it would be extra work if you didn’t want to do that, I suppose.