• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collection Organization Tips
7 7

194 posts in this topic

Heres a quicker way to organize it all.   It's not the usual alphabetical solution, with all titles in issue order.  That's a "Final solution", but with the random state of your collection, why not treat each box as a collection. Number the boxes. Then list every book in that box.  Enter them all in a spreadsheet, box by box as you go along.  You Just need publisher, title volume, issue number and most importantly BOX NUMBER .  If you do it a box=x at a time it will go smoothly.  

When end you are done you can tackle putting the titles back together in order.  You sort the spreadsheet to see how many issues you have for each title, or even letter of the alphabet.  This will assist you in leaving enough room for each title.

use the spreadsheet to locate each and every comic by box number!  And go get em.  Later on if you grade the books etc, just add data to the spreadsheet. 

I keep thinking i should do the same re: potential leaks. Agree on the longies, they were fine when i was younger and stronger, now i would be scared to carry one down the stairs. I brought those up 10 years ago.

Edited by the blob

9 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Heres a quicker way to organize it all.   It's not the usual alphabetical solution, with all titles in issue order.  That's a "Final solution", but with the random state of your collection, why not treat each box as a collection. Number the boxes. Then list every book in that box.  Enter them all in a spreadsheet, box by box as you go along.  You Just need publisher, title volume, issue number and most importantly BOX NUMBER .  If you do it a box=x at a time it will go smoothly.  

When end you are done you can tackle putting the titles back together in order.  You sort the spreadsheet to see how many issues you have for each title, or even letter of the alphabet.  This will assist you in leaving enough room for each title.

use the spreadsheet to locate each and every comic by box number!  And go get em.  Later on if you grade the books etc, just add data to the spreadsheet. 

Box 73: 15 Turok 1s, 30 Youngblood 1s....

When I have done this before, I usually took a large flat, clean surface (pool table, ping-pong table, floor)  and just started sorting into piles by title, then into boxes, marking what is in them with post-its. 

It doesn't sound like you have much room, but you may be able to fit in some portable tables for sorting, and make that work, either by moving some of the clutter out, or setting up in the hallway.

Some of the other methods suggested here sounds like doing everything at least twice - I'm not a big fan of a lot of extra OCD work.

34 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Organizing my comic collection-accumulation is an ongoing project for me. I enjoy doing it but work and two small kids really limit my time. I do have an end goal of what I want my collection to look like and am working towards it.

I collect (specific) runs and have a lot.

Things I do upfront, always - and this is just me; not for everyone:

I enter every new book into a spreadsheet. I record everything: title, grade, cost, etc. If you can’t physically get control over your collection, at the very least keep a listing of some kind so you know what you have.

I keep an abundance of supplies in anticipation that I’ll be acquiring stuff. I want my collection to have a uniform look. I’ve settled on Gerber products. For Gold-Silver-early Bronze (up to 25 cent books), I use Silver Gold full-backs and MyLite2 Silver-Golden sleeves, for Bronze and up Standard Mylite2 and full-backs. I’ve made my bed, now I gotta lie in it. Costly? Yes (and no) – but I’m satisfied with it.

Every new book gets a new board and sleeve. It's then placed into a magazine-sized box then eventually sorted by: 1) GA to early bronze or post-1976; 2) Publisher; 3) Title; 4) Issue Number. Rinse and repeat.

For boxes, I organize (pile) my collection into four groupings: 1) CGC graded books; 2) GA-early bronze; 3) Post-1976; 4) Moderns (moderns that I buy are mostly kept in a clean polybag with board in short boxes).

Presently, I’ve just finished organizing all my CGC books. I’m now working on my GA-early bronze books. Still have a lot to do. I have a ridiculous amount of duplication so I‘m really looking forward to getting everything in order this year. My end goal is to keep one copy and purge the rest. Dividers and maybe labels would be a nice touch when it's all said and done.

Here's a looksie at a box in progress - so pretty, oh so pretty:

IMG_9024.thumb.JPG.b59a4942a169cf0f15cb2798ed5e2639.JPG

That's exactly how I like to have my books.  In a nice mylar with the sleeve over top.  Excellent work!

5 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:
42 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

IMG_9024.thumb.JPG.b59a4942a169cf0f15cb2798ed5e2639.JPG

That's exactly how I like to have my books.  In a nice mylar with the sleeve over top.  Excellent work!

Yup - nothing like doing everything twice...., :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I'll insert the book into the Mylite upside-down and then tuck it into the Mylar sleeve. Main reason is to avoid using tape. I hate tape on Mylar and even more so on my comics. Anytime I want to look at a book, I just slide it out.

Look ma, no tape:

IMG_9027.thumb.JPG.abc9c8ed4c95d4c4071a11bdca25d775.JPG

2 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

I'll insert the book into the Mylite upside-down and then tuck it into the Mylar sleeve. Main reason is to avoid using tape. I hate tape on Mylar and even more so on my comics. Anytime I want to look at a book, I just slide it out.

Look ma, no tape:

Looking good!

40 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Look ma, no tape:

Out of curiosity, do you do this with every book, or just keys/semi-keys/ones you want more particularly protected? I've been debating whether to move my stuff into a double-bagged/mylar system like this for a little added protection, but don't know if it's more for the ones I want to preserve more, or to try for all of them (which for me, is only around 2k books).

On 2/10/2018 at 11:07 PM, the blob said:

Made a lot of progress today.

Just saw this thread. Great to see you've gotten started.  (thumbsu

The 'before' photos actually aren't as dire as I was expecting, but it does look like a tremendous amount to deal with.

Are you pulling stuff to toss/donate/etc as you go?

A long box of early newsprint is not bad, a long box of moderns is like a block of cement.

I was at a flea market a few months back and saw a long box organized like Grumbles. I thought I hit the jackpot. It was all Macross and Area 88! :ohnoez:

8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

When I have done this before, I usually took a large flat, clean surface (pool table, ping-pong table, floor)  and just started sorting into piles by title, then into boxes, marking what is in them with post-its. 

It doesn't sound like you have much room, but you may be able to fit in some portable tables for sorting, and make that work, either by moving some of the clutter out, or setting up in the hallway.

Some of the other methods suggested here sounds like doing everything at least twice - I'm not a big fan of a lot of extra OCD work.

When i work my way through another 10-15 boxes i can probably fit a 6 foot folding table and probably will. Right now i have our old dining room table.

Edited by the blob

Stayed home with a sick kid today, so had some time. I have been setting up a wall of boxes i am getting out of my main room, these are unsorted dc, unsorted "old" nonDC/marvel, unsorted indie, and some boxes of batman, spiderman, etc. 23 so far (the ones at the end are not this) with about 7 more boxes getting close to full, so will be 30 soon:

20180212_192607.jpg

Edited by the blob