• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collection Organization Tips
7 7

194 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I have no real advice other than... :preach:

I have OCD and I can tell you that this would never happen or I would not be able to sleep at night or focus on anything else during the day. :ohnoez:   

Unfortunately OCD is Genetic/Environmental and not contagious but if you have a friend with OCD and offer a deal/payment this may get fixed in a hurry. :bigsmile:

Do you watch Big Bang Theory?

Remember when Sheldon organized Howard's closet???  hm  :idea:

You just described me in a nutshell.  My comics are so organized I can go to any book without any hesitation. 

OCD is a pain in the arse , wife has a love\hate thing about it. My boss loves it!

My trouble is I know where most stuff is and take care of important stuff, but I'm an avoider and a piler, so it takes me time to get to the organization part.  My wife is and bosses were the same as yours. lol

Personally, I organise books alpha-numerically by publisher.  It has ocurred to me before that it may be better to just go alpha-numerically with no distinction between publisher. Is there a consensus here on that subject?

31 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

My trouble is I know where most stuff is and take care of important stuff, but I'm an avoider and a piler, so it takes me time to get to the organization part.  My wife is and bosses were the same as yours. lol

My wife loves it when she comes home and the house is immaculate,  but hates it when I re clean what she already has. (shrug)

35 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

My wife loves it when she comes home and the house is immaculate,  but hates it when I re clean what she already has. (shrug)

That sounds like your asking for trouble.  I have to do the same thing with the dishes.

2 hours ago, Whizzer said:

Personally, I organise books alpha-numerically by publisher.  It has ocurred to me before that it may be better to just go alpha-numerically with no distinction between publisher. Is there a consensus here on that subject?

I prefer by publisher, except for stuff like war or funny animal that I don't have a lot of.  I prefer that related titles to stay together, like Flash adjacent to Green Lantern rather than Ghost Rider.

I use book shelves , and have my books in magazine holders. In front of the holders has the number in the run that's in that holder. I have 5 shelves of keys sorted by Marvel, DC , independents. 15 shelves of complete runs. No particular order,  by ASM, Silver Surfer,TMNT, Warren horror etc.

Just gotta keep it together every time you buy new books.

A few years ago I bought a 10,000 book collection - kept some and sold some. It was completely unorganized - comics were backwards, upside down, you name it. I set up boxes with post-its to temporarily organize by letter. After I put them in boxes by letter, I alphabetized the box and used some dividers for help. Once they were organized, I pulled out what to keep and what to sell.

I label my boxes with clear business card holders with a sticky back. You can get them for about $3 for a 10 pack. You can just reprint on cheap business cards if you ever need to reorganize and always have nicely printed labels.

5a7f9ebeb3676_ComicLot01.thumb.jpg.32aa6528e1f23f2e8e968d1218622c1f.jpg

5a7f9ede5dcfa_ComicLot02.thumb.jpg.19d503f0d5e5101be27e1c11fafc52d0.jpg

20171027_155052.thumb.jpg.17557581ed300499820d0a2f303fd2ab.jpg

My son very much wants to help, but as you can imagine, with all those boxes it is hard for 2 people to maneuver, especially if one weighs 300 pounds (he's a stringbean though). We did a little co-sorting. I want him to organize the boxes once i have them boxed.

Edited by the blob

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

My son very much wants to help, but as you can imagine, with all those boxes it is hard for 2 people to maneuver, especially if one weighs 300 pounds (he's a stringbean though). We did a little co-sorting. I want him to organize the boxes once i have them boxed.

Just think you might find another gem that you didnt even know you had.:banana:

16 hours ago, the blob said:

This will give you some idea....

20180210_142959.jpg

20180210_142911.jpg

20180210_143017.jpg

20180210_143003.jpg

20180210_142936.jpg

One or two of those shelving units need a meme, 'no more books'. :)    It does look like a disaster but at least with short boxes contained to a few shelving units you can set realistic goals for sorting/organizing that will make the task less cumbersome.  

10 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Nyx 3 was never a discount book in my neighborhood.  I think it sold out the day it released, not that any store had many copies to start with.  Glad you found a reward, though!

That is the third copy that I fished out of my lcs 3 for $2 box. My recollection is that it was not a sell out as I saw a full rack of them at midtown comics weeks after it came out. I remember thinking it had an interesting cover, but I was not inclined to spend $3 on a copy. I sold my 2 other copies for $10 and $50 respectively a long time ago. I had no idea I had a third.

2 hours ago, spreads said:

One or two of those shelving units need a meme, 'no more books'. :)    It does look like a disaster but at least with short boxes contained to a few shelving units you can set realistic goals for sorting/organizing that will make the task less cumbersome.  

Quite a few of those shelves have long boxes on them. You just can't tell from that angle. Each shelf is supposed to hold 300 pounds, but I have my doubts. Not that I want to test a 1200 pound shelving unit. My floors will collapse.

Edited by the blob

you know what might be an interesting addition to this thread? Take some pictures as go along in the process of organizing your collection. I think it will serve several purposes. First-- as a way for us to all look on as you get through the task. Secondly, as a way to motivate yourself to keep making progress. And perhaps the overall process will generate more ideas and help others in a similar situation.

I've noticed over the years that when I take some snapshots of my progress on certain projects in order to share with others that it helps me keep track of how I got it done but also pushes me to get it done as well. Plus year later you can revisit the pictures on some projects that simply vanished over time.

I see you have the pictures posted in the thread-- but if you have made any progress since then, some new ones might be needed.

25 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

you know what might be an interesting addition to this thread? Take some pictures as go along in the process of organizing your collection. I think it will serve several purposes. First-- as a way for us to all look on as you get through the task. Secondly, as a way to motivate yourself to keep making progress. And perhaps the overall process will generate more ideas and help others in a similar situation.

I've noticed over the years that when I take some snapshots of my progress on certain projects in order to share with others that it helps me keep track of how I got it done but also pushes me to get it done as well. Plus year later you can revisit the pictures on some projects that simply vanished over time.

I see you have the pictures posted in the thread-- but if you have made any progress since then, some new ones might be needed.

That is a brilliant idea. :golfclap:

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, srezvan said:

A few years ago I bought a 10,000 book collection - kept some and sold some. It was completely unorganized - comics were backwards, upside down, you name it. I set up boxes with post-its to temporarily organize by letter. After I put them in boxes by letter, I alphabetized the box and used some dividers for help. Once they were organized, I pulled out what to keep and what to sell.

I label my boxes with clear business card holders with a sticky back. You can get them for about $3 for a 10 pack. You can just reprint on cheap business cards if you ever need to reorganize and always have nicely printed labels.

5a7f9ede5dcfa_ComicLot02.thumb.jpg.19d503f0d5e5101be27e1c11fafc52d0.jpg

Those saggy books....,

Image result for baby jesus crying jpg