• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, COI said:

From my perspective, what most of the newb complaining stems from is people deciding that they're not getting the exact type of interactions they want, and instead of trying to figure out how to best orient themselves to get the most out of what this long-standing community has to offer, they launch into tirades castigating long-time members for doing it wrong and making them feel sad. And the moderation policy exacerbates this by assuming that any discontent can be fixed by tweaks, restrictions and time-outs.

The idea of an "old guard" trying to keep newbs out is fallacious nonsense. I've been here from year one and I've taken my share of criticisms and outright insults from fellow "old guard" members, and most of that was probably deserved. I can't believe I have to spell this out on a board full of middle-aged men, but that's how social interactions work. Some people will like you, some won't; people have wildly different micro and macro viewpoints of life; people naturally form into hierarchies and cliques; is this new to some of you? 

If you don't like an environment or social dynamic, leave, or do a little digging and see if you can find some things to like. Don't treat this place like it's your own personal play date, with mommy in the next room ready to pounce if things get scary for you. The irony of trying to dictate how things "should be" by constructing this old guard persecution narrative and having to resort to using ignore functions and 'notify moderator' buttons when Billy takes your ice-cream cone, isn't lost on people, and it's the reason why people get mocked for trying to "set things straight". And in the process, turning to moderation instead of putting on your big-boy pants has led to this ridiculous micro-management of social interactions to appease a vocal minority of malcontents, which isn't fun for anyone except the tattlers getting some brief catharsis when RMA gets suspended for the 40th time for speaking his mind.

Gee talk. spekt

5 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

I am really thinking of how/when I will be going back. Do you attend any of the conventions?

I used to go to Montreal,but since Ghost Rider passed and all the other issues,can't really make it.I'd love to get out to TO and visit a bunch of folks though,maybe this year...have to see.

edit...i'm still going to send you some chocolate.

Edited by porcupine48

1 hour ago, COI said:

From my perspective, what most of the Neb complaining stems from is people deciding that they're not getting the exact type of interactions they want, and instead of trying to figure out how to best orient themselves to get the most out of what this long-standing community has to offer, they launch into tirades castigating long-time members for doing it wrong and making them feel sad. And the moderation policy exacerbates this by assuming that any discontent can be fixed by tweaks, restrictions and time-outs.

The idea of an "old guard" trying to keep newbies out is fallacious nonsense. I've been here from year one and I've taken my share of criticisms and outright insults from fellow "old guard" members, and most of that was probably deserved. I can't believe I have to spell this out on a board full of middle-aged men, but that's how social interactions work. Some people will like you, some won't; people have wildly different micro and macro viewpoints of life; people naturally form into hierarchies and cliques; is this new to some of you? 

If you don't like an environment or social dynamic, leave, or do a little digging and see if you can find some things to like. Don't treat this place like it's your own personal play date, with mommy in the next room ready to pounce if things get scary for you. The irony of trying to dictate how things "should be" by constructing this old guard persecution narrative and having to resort to using ignore functions and 'notify moderator' buttons when Billy takes your ice-cream cone, isn't lost on people, and it's the reason why people get mocked for trying to "set things straight". And in the process, turning to moderation instead of putting on your big-boy pants has led to this ridiculous micro-management of social interactions to appease a vocal minority of malcontents, which isn't fun for anyone except the tattlers getting some brief catharsis when RMA gets suspended for the 40th time for speaking his mind.

^ This! ALL OF THIS!!! Spoken from a member of "the old guard".  But what the 'newbies'  are not understanding is that it comes from wisdom, and yes a little abuse, which over time

tends to mellow you, and give you the perspective  of patience.

3 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

who are you? are you even serious? Do you know how many of the "old guard" paid for funerals, replaced burned down houses, helped members when they lost their homes, gave money to those who were in NEED, and NEVER asked for even a thank you! You want to talk about the character of those men and women like you are capable of telling your hole from the one in the ground? Are some of the guys a bit snarky, yes, do they like that the sense of community has lessened in time? Yes. But I am shocked that a guy who has been here for such a short time knows SOOO much about what made this place to begin with. Even I missed some of the best times on this board, and yes we are a little reserved in who we take in after countless scammers, frauds, and thieves have made their way in over the years? Damn, there are reasons for things and maybe if you listened more you would understand why people are the way they are. I wish the "old guard" would come back because alot of those people were good people and are missed, especially when they provided some awesome conversation.

I have been impressed by this sort of stuff over the years. When I put in my slabbed Di**k Tracy #1 into one of these relief efforts (and I can't remember if it was an illness or a house burning down, frankly, did someone's child need an expensive eye surgery?) my wife was like "WTF are you doing, you spent a lot of money on that???", but I told her, it's a community and, frankly, I've gotten way more out of it than I have put in. I don't socialize with folks here off the boards, although I am friendly with two former classmates who are on here, but still, there are a few of you I  B.S. with here and via PM.

So while yes, there is some crankiness from some people, directed to me too (not just newbies) and I have been here a long time (I had a different name before my blob account from 2004, but didn't come often and wound up forgetting the password), and several folks i knew from the ebay boards staring around 2000ish, don't take it so personally.  Don't say New Mutants 98 was a glut book and you'll be fine. Never mind that I own 5-8 copies of every issue around it, it was not printed in large numbers...

Edited by the blob

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I don't really care either way, but I'm just curious  as to why you would want more than 50 likes a day? 

You don't care and you're curious? :baiting:

Maybe we just interact with the boards differently SPB. I hop around looking for great threads and posts everywhere, and find lots to like. And I like to encourage newcomers, so I often run out. 

I'm usually a pretty positive person, but unless I sat here all day, I'd have a hard time finding that many things I "liked".

Well, I've never seen you like anything I've done in all the time I've been here, nor seen you post in any of my threads. Maybe you don't like pence books? You should get out more! :wink:

BTW, if you are going to quote  me with a picture that I won't understand, please add a translation...;) 

Oops, sorry. Here it is:

5a8375398db24_DrWhoTomBaker.gif.fe1d560d3499554c425e5784f045cb6f.gif

I've found some threads to read when looking at the leaderboard. There is a list of recent threads with the most "likes" otherwise I'd agree with you. I don't really see the point.  We did perfectly fine when all you could do was +1 to indicate that you agreed with something.

On that, we agree 5a837592d10a4_DrWhoThumbsUp.gif.62782d90cf494476c1be18330c7ad0e2.gif

8 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

You don't care and you're curious? :baiting:

Maybe we just interact with the boards differently SPB. I hop around looking for great threads and posts everywhere, and find lots to like. And I like to encourage newcomers, so I often run out. 

Well, I've never seen you like anything I've done in all the time I've been here, nor seen you post in any of my threads. Maybe you don't like pence books? You should get out more! :wink:

Oops, sorry. Here it is:

5a8375398db24_DrWhoTomBaker.gif.fe1d560d3499554c425e5784f045cb6f.gif

On that, we agree 5a837592d10a4_DrWhoThumbsUp.gif.62782d90cf494476c1be18330c7ad0e2.gif

skypinkblu is a saint of a lady.  stop that creepy british stuff, it is disturbing. 

6 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

2.PNG.6b6e86027725263b826d75989825fc33.PNG  hm  1.PNG.68202a1404a2904ba72f0770c00a94e8.PNG  hm

The whole "Member" and "Seasoned Veteran" thing seems to constantly be changing. 

I just went to the Leader Board section and Comicopolis with 87,000 posts was listed as a "member".....then I went to a different page and then back to the leader boards, and Comicopolis was then listed as a "Seasoned Veteran".   So who knows? (shrug)

I did manage to capture G.A.tor's status with the "member" designation and with 57,000 posts:

G.A.tor.jpg

16 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

The whole "Member" and "Seasoned Veteran" thing seems to constantly be changing. 

I just went to the Leader Board section and Comicopolis with 87,000 posts was listed as a "member".....then I went to a different page and then back to the leader boards, and Comicopolis was then listed as a "Seasoned Veteran".   So who knows? (shrug)

I did manage to capture G.A.tor's status with the "member" designation and with 57,000 posts:

G.A.tor.jpg

I have been here for 10 years now and havent achieved "seasoned veteran" BUT I got a custom title from Arch, so that wins.

52 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have been impressed by this sort of stuff over the years. When I put in my slabbed Di**k Tracy #1 into one of these relief efforts (and I can't remember if it was an illness or a house burning down, frankly, did someone's child need an expensive eye surgery?) my wife was like "WTF are you doing, you spent a lot of money on that???", but I told her, it's a community and, frankly, I've gotten way more out of it than I have put in. I don't socialize with folks here off the boards, although I am friendly with two former classmates who are on here, but still, there are a few of you I  B.S. with here and via PM.

So while yes, there is some crankiness from some people, directed to me too (not just newbies) and I have been here a long time (I had a different name before my blob account from 2004, but didn't come often and wound up forgetting the password), and several folks i knew from the ebay boards staring around 2000ish, don't take it so personally.  Don't say New Mutants 98 was a glut book and you'll be fine. Never mind that I own 5-8 copies of every issue around it, it was not printed in large numbers...

Like I have said, this place is what you make it. There are some wonderful people here, and also some turds..

46 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Maybe you should stop worrying about what *I* like.  I have zero idea whether you have ever liked one of my posts;) and I've never seen you post a comic (that I can remember).