• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, DR.X said:
1 hour ago, Jimbo749 said:

4 cents for the convenience of not using the grocery store machine (at 10-11 cents), printing a receipt, taking receipt to customer service and cashing out, taking cash to bank for deposit.

You are right though, roll your owns are always cheaper :nyah:

just sounds like you need a different bank. my bank does not charge anything for customers to use the coin machine, even though it starts shaking when it sees me walk in with two buckets for my Christmas contest.

Neither my bank or my credit union charges anything for that.  It's frickin' money.

Nor mine.  If you have an account with the bank you should get to use their services for free 

Seriously though, the machines are super convenient, but yeah, I'm too greedy to give that much away in fees. Ever since I was a little kid, my Dad has thrown his pocket change into a big tin, and given it to me at Christmas time. When I was a REALLY little kid, like, pre-allowance and stuff, I used that money to buy Xmas presents for the family. At any rate, my family is big on tradition, and even though I'm now 41, my Dad STILL gives me that same beaten old tin full of change every Christmas season. So I'll usually grab some wrappers and throw on some old tv show like Barney Miller or Andy Griffith, and just roll coins and reminisce about my childhood, and I'll use that money to get a little extra surprise for the whole family for X-Mas.

Tl,Dr: You're not getting my money, Coinstar!

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:53 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I've gotten pms about you and what a jerk you are

Yeah, it's an occupational hazard. 

I thought it was a perk? (shrug)

1 minute ago, DR.X said:
18 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

I suppose it is. To some humorless fuknuts it isn't

lol

Scru those guys. :sumo: 

On 4/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, DR.X said:
On 4/2/2018 at 12:53 PM, Jimbo749 said:

IMAG0319.thumb.jpg.355031473081489cc4f1cdf429c0022d.jpg

:whatthe:   I get excited when I see containers of change.

Me too! I also have to admit that I wouldn't cash those in without going through them (preferably as they're added to the jar rather than when it's full) to check for pre-1965 silver dimes or quarters (rarer and rarer with every passing year), or wheat pennies. I also save pre-1983 pennies because their copper content is worth more than face value, depending on the market value. Same for nickels, I believe, although it's much closer and I haven't checked it in a long time. Why give away two or three cents worth of copper for a penny, or seven cents worth of metal for five cents? Sure, you're not permitted to melt them down for their metal content yet but that will probably 'change' someday and then I'll cash in!

It's just good cents! :flamed:

Bought a new home and didn't feel that the coins needed to make the move. My credit union(NEFCU) has a $500 dollar a day limit but charges no fee. Im sure a few rare coins or pre 1964 silver fed into the machine, but my time is worth more than the hours of time I would have had to invest. BTW it added up to a lot less than I thought.

coins.JPG

26 minutes ago, Wipple said:

Bought a new home and didn't feel that the coins needed to make the move. My credit union(NEFCU) has a $500 dollar a day limit but charges no fee. Im sure a few rare coins or pre 1964 silver fed into the machine, but my time is worth more than the hours of time I would have had to invest. BTW it added up to a lot less than I thought.

coins.JPG

Wow that's a lot of coin!

IMG_1202.thumb.jpg.f74451408425197a1b73f9f8d141436a.jpg

This guy was a security/ info help guy at the San Diego Museum.  He had been there for years and years.  So long in fact that they commissioned a painting of him which 

hung in the museum ! 

Edited by Senormac