• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It certainly doesn't help that some people abuse the "like" system by using it to "send a message" to those they don't like, out of spite. For example, you say something, and someone disagrees with you, and someone else comes along and hits the "like" button, not because they necessarily agree with that other person, but merely because that person is disagreeing with you.

That's petty abuse. It's the same type of person who, in the past, would openly cheer when someone they didn't like got a strike. It's just small mindedness.

I hear you. That's why I mentioned to arch that there is no real "fix"...it is a losing battle imo

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

How about a helpful/unhelpful button lol

This has been done before. Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the old board had a "star" system. That is, if someone liked a post, they could rate it "5 stars", and if someone didn't...it was 1 starsville.

Anyone can see the potential for abuse, and why it had to be scrapped. It's the type of "validation" that might be important to young people, but isn't necessary or appropriate when dealing with adults. "Popularity contests" are best left in high school.

It's easy to be popular: just tell people what they want to hear. 

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This has been done before. Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the old board had a "star" system. That is, if someone liked a post, they could rate it "5 stars", and if someone didn't...it was 1 starsville.

Anyone can see the potential for abuse, and why it had to be scrapped. It's the type of "validation" that might be important to young people, but isn't necessary or appropriate when dealing with adults. "Popularity contests" are best left in high school.

It's easy to be popular: just tell people what they want to hear. 

Similar to that topic, I was here for a split second of the recent old boards, and I am thankful for the new format :)

I don't want to nitpick lol

The old photo system was driving me batty to figure out. 

54 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

wasn't me.

Shout out to all those gentle Joe's out in golden age forum that reached out :) Janet seems like good people, porcupine, even Greggy :shy: I didn't realize that I was missing out on golden age goodness there and wasn't trying to step on toes....I was just a little ignorant :foryou:

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hear you. That's why I mentioned to arch that there is no real "fix"...it is a losing battle imo

Only the overly sensitive sort are worried about likes being used in a "mean" way 2c

I mean seriously, how low does a persons self esteem have to be to get upset over that?

9 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Only the overly sensitive sort are worried about likes being used in a "mean" way 2c

I mean seriously, how low does a persons self esteem have to be to get upset over that?

I don't judge too much. It doesn't really affect me. I was just trying to point out that at that moment I thought the leader board was useless, for the reasons that I mentioned. He was kind enough to listen to me and respond kindly with patience..... I don't mind returning the favor. :)

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't judge too much. It doesn't really affect me. I was just trying to point out that at that moment I thought the leader board was useless, for the reasons that I mentioned. He was kind enough to listen to me and respond kindly with patience..... I don't mind returning the favor. :)

I think I missed that to be honest. The like system I get...I don't get the leader board. What were the reasons to keep it?

12 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I think I missed that to be honest. The like system I get...I don't get the leader board. What were the reasons to keep it?

Not so much to keep it as it can be manipulated to score a higher "reputation" according to "likes", but I thought at first that those high on the leader board were due to manipulation but I was wrong in a sense.... I found out that most post in the golden age forum and I don't often visit that area of the boards to know that. :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not so much to keep it as it can be manipulated to score a higher "reputation" according to "likes", but I thought at first that those high on the leader board were due to manipulation but I was wrong in a sense.... I found out that most post in the golden age forum and I don't often visit that area of the boards to know that. :foryou:

The leader is certainly manipulated lol

Maybe if I was a total n00b that kind of thing would influence me :insane: