• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

Just now, The Resurrection said:

@goldust40 I think it is time the community building was done again. The reason these boards were so great was the sense of community by a fairly large group of people, the forum get together /dinners at the shows have always been a high point and have allowed many newer members to have more of a relationship with some of the more seasoned veterans. I miss the days of Arex, Chromuim, Hesdeadjim, flamingtelepath, foolkiller, etc posting more and engaging in conversations. I took my share of time away as well. But there are so many great people here it seems like a shame to let the place slowly fade away, or lose the luster of a great community dedicated to the hobby of collecting comics.

No argument here. Over the years this place has been brilliant, which is something that isn't said often enough here.

I haven't seen Arex here for some time, or Brian, even though I know he's still active. Nick has migrated to FB for the most part, and Scott B seems to have moved on...

Getting that mojo back will be difficult but I will be making an effort to go to more shows this year - I didn't go to any in 2016, and only one last year - circumstances have made things difficult, but not impossible. In the meantime I will try and persuade some other oldies to return (you never know). Maybe there could be a stickied thread for us in CG?

16 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Speaking as a very old git who has been on here for the last 14 years and counting... :preach:

I've enjoyed this thread, and a lot of posts have pointed out some very worthwhile things here (a tip of the hat to Marwood in particular).

But it's all a bit twas ever thus. I remember discussing the fragmentation of the boards and everyone becoming a dealer with fellow vet chromium years and years ago. We tend to rose tint the past, and claim that the old boards were better.

But yeah, earlier on, from around 2003, when I joined, to 2011, there seemed to be more of a community feel to everything - every time i went to a U.S. show, there'd always be a boardie get together, and that certainly made me feel part of something. There were some great forum dinners at San Diego back then...

But things do eventually get old, and although General is still the hub of the forum I don't come here like I used to, as for the most part I have seen it all before. I still check out some threads here but rarely post. You could call that fatigue, which it is. My interest in taking part has gone down for other reasons (I suffered a major personal tragedy in 2016 which was part of an ongoing situation since 2012 - something I have rarely if ever mentioned on this forum, or anywhere else, for that matter). Nevertheless, such threads are new for some, and need to be there -  and yes, I obviously could do more. I'll always applaud a fledgling collector who comes on here and understands how much there is to learn about this fantastic burden, I mean hobby, and brings something to the table.

I agree with Marwood - there are good points to the new look forum,  which were presumably a necessity. But I still can't figure out how to find old threads, or PMs, or my favorite watched threads (where did they go??). Yes, I am aware of the search button in the top right corner.

And yes, the moderation is often draconian to an absurd level. Granted, it means that it's much harder to troll here, but then that will inevitably lead to a blanding out in general. Back in the "wheels are in motion" days of Illuminati, Ian Levine, Supa, Dupcak's litany of i.d.s, JC, Red Hook, Deathlok etc. there was a cohesive buzz about the place, where people who didn't get along would still talk to each other (ish!), and General was the place to be for the latest throwdown. But those days are long gone, replaced by countless FB groups if you're after that sort of thing. I actually don't really miss much of that except for the cohesive element. A lot of forumites from back then have long disappeared - a few were banned, most just drifted away from the hobby altogether.

I would hope that I haven't behaved exclusively to newbies, but at the same time, although I still read some new books, I'm not an advocate for them (I never ventured into the modern section much in any case). As for GA and SA, thankfully there's guys like Jimbo who are keen to talk about the content of books as well as the value.

I still like this forum and will continue here as due to circumstances it's been a tonic, even if I only really infest the GA and WC sections these days (and yes, the marketplace). I don't think, given what people have correctly pointed out in this thread, that it can be much better than it is.

Now that's a great post, the kind was hoping to see. I'm sorry to hear of the personal troubles Golders. Many of us have them, and soldier on quietly. Life's like that, and the boards are often a good release from it all, when things are going badly.  

I do wish I had found the boards earlier. If I had, I think I may not have sold up my Spidey collection. And I like to think I'd have had fun joining in with the fun you old timers used to have. 

But we are where we are. I disagree with you that this is as good as it gets though. I do think the owners can be more proactive, and run an excellent, industry leading forum alongside their grading activities. But maybe the trend is downwards, because the 'old' comic industry is going downward.  All we seem to talk about now is money.

I'm planning a new silver age pence thread soon, and I hope you'll drop in when it lands, if only to say 'nice job', if pence books aren't your thing. 

2 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

No argument here. Over the years this place has been brilliant, which is something that isn't said often enough here.

I haven't seen Arex here for some time, or Brian, even though I know he's still active. Nick has migrated to FB for the most part, and Scott B seems to have moved on...

Getting that mojo back will be difficult but I will be making an effort to go to more shows this year - I didn't go to any in 2016, and only one last year - circumstances have made things difficult, but not impossible. In the meantime I will try and persuade some other oldies to return (you never know). Maybe there could be a stickied thread for us in CG?

I don't think it's a matter of trying to bring them back as properly usher in the next group. I will finally be in position to attend more shows this year, and plan to stay active. I am very sorry to hear you have had a rough time, you have a very good reputation for being a solid guy, so I hope things improve for you. I sent Brian a text this morning, so he is still around, just not on here as much I suppose. This place has been here through some of the best times of my life, and I shared those moments with many people here, it should always be a place to escape and just geek out with fellow comic collectors.

3 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Now that's a great post, the kind was hoping to see. I'm sorry to hear of the personal troubles Golders. Many of us have them, and soldier on quietly. Life's like that, and the boards are often a good release from it all, when things are going badly.  

I do wish I had found the boards earlier. If I had, I think I may not have sold up my Spidey collection. And I like to think I'd have had fun joining in with the fun you old timers used to have. 

But we are where we are. I disagree with you that this is as good as it gets though. I do think the owners can be more proactive, and run an excellent, industry leading forum alongside their grading activities. But maybe the trend is downwards, because the 'old' comic industry is going downward.  All we seem to talk about now is money.

I'm planning a new silver age pence thread soon, and I hope you'll drop in when it lands, if only to say 'nice job', if pence books aren't your thing. 

Silver Age Pence?

pP-XV5Sm_400x400.jpg

3 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I disagree with you that this is as good as it gets though. I do think the owners can be more proactive, and run an excellent, industry leading forum alongside their grading activities. But maybe the trend is downwards, because the 'old' comic industry is going downward.  All we seem to talk about now is money.

My comment was based on your point regarding the owners' reluctance to enhance or improve the site - I really meant that things are not too bad given this, for want of a better word, entropy. I would've said that back in the noughties this place was the hub of the hobby. No place better.

And I'll always have a soft spot for silver age pence copies - they were all I could find as a collector back in the 70s and 80s!

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Silver Age Pence?

pP-XV5Sm_400x400.jpg

I'm out of likes, alas. I may as well log out now. Can't show any more appreciation for 24 hours. 

Great system that, placing a restriction on the many, to prevent abuse from the few. To do otherwise might incur some work of course.....

Just now, goldust40 said:

My comment was based on your point regarding the owners' reluctance to enhance or improve the site - I really meant that things are not too bad given this, for want of a better word, entropy. I would've said that back in the noughties this place was the hub of the hobby. No place better.

And I'll always have a soft spot for silver age pence copies - they were all I could find as a collector back in the 70s and 80s!

Good! Keep em peeled then, there's a lot of them coming....:wink:

4 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

I don't think it's a matter of trying to bring them back as properly usher in the next group. I will finally be in position to attend more shows this year, and plan to stay active. I am very sorry to hear you have had a rough time, you have a very good reputation for being a solid guy, so I hope things improve for you. I sent Brian a text this morning, so he is still around, just not on here as much I suppose. This place has been here through some of the best times of my life, and I shared those moments with many people here, it should always be a place to escape and just geek out with fellow comic collectors.

Thanks mate. And yeah, continuity is of course important. I'm always impressed with the younger guys (and the odd girl!) who are into GA, SA, etc. as they would've had no real connection with those eras. Not to mention that they have learned far more than I did back in the day...

1 minute ago, goldust40 said:

Thanks mate. And yeah, continuity is of course important. I'm always impressed with the younger guys (and the odd girl!) who are into GA, SA, etc. as they would've had no real connection with those eras. Not to mention that they have learned far more than I did back in the day...

Once upon a time I was a young 32 year old buying his first GA comics. Now I am preparing to turn......... 40 :sorry:

11 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Also, don't forget that there are PMs that have been going on for years among old guard Boardies.  I honestly think that was one of the things that really drove down traffic in general.

2 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Once upon a time I was a young 32 year old buying his first GA comics. Now I am preparing to turn......... 40 :sorry:

Whippersnapper! I'm 54 (going on 20).

1 minute ago, seanfingh said:

Also, don't forget that there are PMs that have been going on for years among old guard Boardies.  I honestly think that was one of the things that really drove down traffic in general.

Yes, many of us have PM's that have been going on for over 5-6 years. I have two that may be from my second or third year here..

5 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Whippersnapper! I'm 54 (going on 20).

Im 39 going on 82 :flamed: but seriously I still go to bed at 9:30 because that's what I started doing when my 6 year old was born... So you are probably much more fun than me

Im 39 going on 82 :flamed: but seriously I still go to bed at 9:30 because that's what I started doing when my 6 year old was born... So you are probably much more fun than me

I'm trying to get the fun back, although my kids, despite being somewhat older, are not out of school yet.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

:luhv:  to all of that!

Oh man, speaking of the wife-stealing episode, wasn't she doing sketches before the end?  I seem to remember requesting a Leeja Clane, and she did one!

We need to see this sketch to ascertain whether this painted Jezebel was a worthy artist.

18 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I'm out of likes, alas. I may as well log out now. Can't show any more appreciation for 24 hours. 

Great system that, placing a restriction on the many, to prevent abuse from the few. To do otherwise might incur some work of course.....

figure_pushing_like_button_md_wm.jpg