• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This

5 that always seem to come to mind.

Liefeld threads

Alan Moore threads

Pressing threads

Stan Lee vs Kirby/Ditko ownership threads

Why modern comics don't sell like they use to with people worried about the future comic audience threads,

You forgot "AF15 is worth more than 50p" and "ASM 667 is reasonably uncommon" :D

6 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

On that point, lets all send out positive vibes to our Jimmers, who has been offline for a while, and not responding to digs and prods.

Let's hope he returns from his unauthorised hibernation soon, to face disciplinary procedures. Which @lizards2 will of course administer, with his usual flair and zeal.

@porcupine48

Just tagged him on facebook. I need to get some Canadian chocolate from him anyways lol

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I'm don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said so far, but I think the larger point is: why would CGC put that much more work into any of this? They're already providing a fre message board for people to loiter on. There was probably a time in CGC's history where fostering a community was important to their bottom line, but I'd suspect we're well past that point now. Books are going to keep rolling in to be graded by the truckload. Why would they care if their message boards are thriving or not? I'd expect that it costs them much more to maintain than they are realistically seeing in return. I'm not saying that any of your proposed fixes are a bad idea, but at the end of the day, what does it profit CGC to see to them?

Fair point. It's a free site, and we wouldn't be without it.

But I have a vision of excellence. I want it to be the best. The best comic forum by a country mile would:

1. Earn them total respect / industry kudos (it's not all about money)

2. Probably generate even more sales

If they had vision, they'd be considering a 'proper' sales platform to rival eBay.....

Just now, Jimbo749 said:

A lot of times it is just hard to come up with a new topic that people will respond to. I can talk about Terminator comics all day, but I'd be talking to myself. 

You could sign off every post with "I'll be back" 

Just now, Jimbo749 said:

A lot of times it is just hard to come up with a new topic that people will respond to. I can talk about Terminator comics all day, but I'd be talking to myself. 

Do people care about Terminator comics again? I have a long box full of the various Dark Horse series that I picked up in a collection. I have...lots of Terminator comics. 

1 minute ago, The Resurrection said:

Just tagged him on facebook. I need to get some Canadian chocolate from him anyways lol

Cool. Let us know if the Kraken awakes (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

But I have a vision of excellence. I want it to be the best. The best comic forum by a country mile would:

If they had vision, they'd be considering a 'proper' sales platform to rival eBay.....

Maybe if they had some staff members available in an area of the forum for questions,  live chat sessions if you have questions about submitting. Most questions about submitting books end up in the forums eventually.

4 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Fair enough, and like I said, I don't disagree with you. But I could also very easily see CGC saying "be happy with what we've already given you." And I'd have to accept that as well.

1 minute ago, Jimbo749 said:

Maybe if they had some staff members available in an area of the forum for questions,  live chat sessions if you have questions about submitting. Most questions about submitting books end up in the forums eventually.

I look at the questions area every day, and answer when I can. It's a 5 minute job. 5 minutes, to give the impression of caring / being 'on it'. 

1 minute ago, Jimbo749 said:

Then why didn't you answer my WTB post dude?

Hadn't seen it! Let me stop highjacking this thread and go take a look...

2 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I don't "know" but I've heard the people across the street's message board is whacky tobacky. Maybe there is no competition? idk I'm more than satisfied at this point by these boards. (shrug) idk guess I have low standards, but I find the company here welcoming and the pic's are much easier to upload. The old boards might have more postings but then you couldn't read it in one sitting and come back later. idk perhaps every silver lining has a dark cloud? but there are things to be grateful for (thumbsu

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Fair enough, and like I said, I don't disagree with you. But I could also very easily see CGC saying "be happy with what we've already given you." And I'd have to accept that as well.

Yep, that's where we are. Stagnant. And that's why participation is falling. At least I'm assuming it is, as no one has ventured an opinion to the contrary yet.  If Arch arrives and tells us participation is up, we can all accept that we're all wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

Haha it's all good, I literally just closed it like 30 minutes ago, won an auction for the books last night. 

Nice!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't "know" but I've heard the people across the street's message board is whacky tobacky. Maybe there is no competition? idk I'm more than satisfied at this point by these boards. (shrug) idk guess I have low standards, but I find the company here welcoming and the pic's are much easier to upload. The old boards might have more postings but then you couldn't read it in one sitting and come back later. idk perhaps every silver lining has a dark cloud? but there are things to be grateful for (thumbsu

Yes. The good is very very good, I agree. But it could be much better.

My final thought before dinner - I love the boards. They allow me to do what I want, which is bore people with pence ramblings, and muck about. I'm grateful for that. But participation is dropping, and the competition is drying up. I'd hate that to happen here, and think there is so much that could be done. 

Don't go down without a fight, is what I'm saying. And aspire to be the best, not just tread water.

I try real hard to keep my tiny corner going. 

Now, dinner in Englandville!

22 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
29 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That's because you're an advanced pervert.  I'll talk to jimmers and Sparky, and see if we should allow you into the inner circle...., 

On that point, lets all send out positive vibes to our Jimmers, who has been offline for a while, and not responding to digs and prods.

Let's hope he returns from his unauthorised hibernation soon, to face disciplinary procedures. Which @lizards2 will of course administer, with his usual flair and zeal.

@porcupine48

action-smiley-073.gif Trouble is, he likes this stuff..., 

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

+1 ease of loading pics now is great and really helped me. Photo bucket was at the point of making my computer crash with all the ads.

I do miss the epic Friday threads we use to have :shy: