• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's COBRA KAI starring Ralph Macchio, William Zabka (2021)
2 2

322 posts in this topic

In an interview with Deadline, Cobra Kai co-creator Hurwitz hints that Sam and Tory's rivalry will extend into season 4. Hurwitz explains that Sam and Tory are two of their favorite characters and their rivalry is the freshest compared to the decades-long rivalries between some of the characters. He hinted that there will be even more between them going forward and that it will be a "special season" for both of them. Check out his statement below:

"Sam and Tory are two of our favorite characters in the series and their rivalry is a fresh one that certainly cuts to the core for both of them. We’re eager for people to see how it plays out in Season 4 because there’s certainly no love lost between those two at the end of Season 3 and there’s a lot more between them going forward. We think it’s a very special season for both those characters."

The road to All Valley is set in stone for December with the release of a new teaser for Netflix’s Cobra Kai season 4. And while Daniel (Ralph Macchio) and Johnny (William Zabka) have combined the power of their respective dojos, Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang, there can only be one winner and Kreese’s (Martin Kove) Cobra Kai team has a very real chance to take home top honors.

In the past couple of months, I’ve reviewed TV shows based on Turner & Hooch, based on The Mighty Ducks. But you guys were ahead of the curve on the ’80s legacy sequel game. What have you learned about the balancing act between feeding your audience’s nostalgia but also making a show that exists without that nostalgia being necessary at all?

That’s a question we thought really heavily about before pitching the show. It became really important to us right away to make sure that we’re giving the audience what they expect, but it’s not just “Hey, remember this? Let’s go do this again.” So, Ralph Macchio, for years, was pitched projects that were like, “Hey, let’s do The Karate Kid again, and you’re the Karate Man, and now you’re mentoring this kid.” So it was important to us to come at this show with a completely different concept — “What if Johnny Lawrence was the Mr. Miyagi of this show?” — at the inception and what does that mean in terms of trying to do right but you have the wrong tools in your toolbox?

So right away, there was a different layer on the show, but it was also important to us that we’re not just mining nostalgic characters and saying, “OK, what else can we do with these guys that we didn’t see already in multiple movies?” So we knew that we needed to introduce new protagonists and a new journey, and we wanted to make sure that we weren’t just asking the audience to jump into the show and immediately accept that you are with new characters and a new journey, and technically it’s part of The Karate Kid universe because we tell you it is, but really it’s about these new characters. We knew it had to be a marriage.

We write our show for two audiences. One is the diehard fans who have seen every frame of the Karate Kid movie franchise and catch every single Easter egg and turn of phrase. And the other is a casual audience who heard about the show and in a short time can figure out, “OK, here are these two guys. They don’t get along. Why? Something happened in high school. OK.” And we’re off to the races.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

... a casual audience who heard about the show and in a short time can figure out, “OK, here are these two guys. They don’t get along. Why? Something happened in high school. OK.” And we’re off to the races.

Imagine doing that with other franchises. lol

Star Wars - "OK, here are these two guys.  They don't get along.  Why?  Something happened with lava and high ground.  OK."  And we're off to the races.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:01 PM, valiantman said:

Imagine doing that with other franchises. lol

Star Wars - "OK, here are these two guys.  They don't get along.  Why?  Something happened with lava and high ground.  OK."  And we're off to the races.

But that's the beauty of this story concept - it is all about two guys that never got over their differences. Something so simple plays out so solidly.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:42 PM, Bosco685 said:

This shows has everything Netflixs loves.  Great word of mouth, great numbers (one of the few streaming shows where I can say all my friends watch it), high quality story, and cheap to make.  My bet is they let it run through season 6 or 7.  The writers have also said they have it planned out to around there.

High quality story, you can see coming a mile away, along with cheesy effects (hawk scream when you see Hawk) 🙄

Also, it has a kid who chose to call himself Hawk.

That being said, I've watched the whole thing while playing on my phone. Seeing how Elizabeth Shue has kept up was the best thing so far.

Now, Cobra Kai has shared several new images from season 4 on Twitter, featuring new and returning characters in anticipation of that debut. Season 3 left off with Daniel and Johnny joining forces and starting a combined dojo of Eagle Fang and Miyagi-Do Karate, training both crops of students together, while Kreese and The Karate Kid Part III alum, Terry Silver (Thomas Ian Griffith) take over Cobra Kai. In the new images, Johnny can be seen attempting LaRusso's famous "Crane Kick" during training. At the same time, over at Cobra Kai, it appears that Tory (Peyton List) is getting the upper hand on Robby (Tanner Buchanan). Other images feature a smattering of new and familiar faces, from Samantha to Hawk to Miguel and Amanda, as well as a look at a father/son moment between LaRusso and his son, Anthony (Griffin Santopietro) and a peek at Dallas Young's new character to the series, Kenny. 

On 8/28/2021 at 4:48 PM, Dr. Dank said:

High quality story, you can see coming a mile away, along with cheesy effects (hawk scream when you see Hawk) 🙄

Also, it has a kid who chose to call himself Hawk.

I have a coworker who calls himself Eagle. Say’s its his tag/call-sign from when he was in the Army. And wants to be addressed as such. That’s real sh*t. I said, sorry bro I’m not f’n calling you Eagle. I don’t care if you took out Bin Laden.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:17 PM, Oddball said:

I have a coworker who calls himself Eagle. Say’s its his tag/call-sign from when he was in the Army. And wants to be addressed as such. That’s real sh*t. I said, sorry bro I’m not f’n calling you Eagle. I don’t care if you took out Bin Laden.

"And I shall call you Bob. Because it is simple for me!"