• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's COBRA KAI starring Ralph Macchio, William Zabka (2021)
2 2

322 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2022 at 10:17 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Spoiler!

828564369_tenor-4(3).gif.ba31cb054770f502ee13a55bc50e45d2.gif

spoiling is manly!!!! :acclaim:

From reddit:

Was watching an interview with him (jacob bertrand) and for a second or two I thought it was the wrong person. They did a really good job on that prosthetic because I genuinely thought he really had one (harelip) in real life.

While I'm talking about Jacob, I wanted to mention that I think his acting might be the most underrated of season 1. I think it's fair to say that his arc was definitely the biggest from start to finish in season 1 and I thought he was believable for all of it. While I was watching the first 5 episodes, I wouldn't have believed in a million years that he was capable of playing a character like Hawk.

A lot of times it seems like an actor's personality and demeanor is very similar to the characters they play. A perfect example of this would be someone like Jennifer Aniston. Almost all of the characters she has played has over the years has had the same basic traits. I think that's simply because in real life she's probably like that. So because of this, I figured that he was more passive type of person in real life. If true, it would have been incredibly hard for a passive type of person to play a believable character like Hawk.

So even though personally, I didn't care too much for the Hawk character...I definitely appreciated how well he played that character.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Supposedly this is one of the influences that led to the twist in the Karate Kid lore leading to Cobra Kai.

yep that was a genius observation.
Kinda like the old optional illusion-depends how you look at it:

maxresdefault.jpg

On 1/1/2022 at 10:53 PM, kav said:

You know a show is good when you are willing to suspend your disbelief like crazy.  Violent assaults-no cops, huge fight at high school and no expulsions and parents still paying for their kids lessons at cobra kai and miyagi do, paralysis getting cured by will power etc.
It doesnt matter.  The story is so good it just doent matter. Now weaker offerings, where the story is not so good, those flaws pop out and make you turn it off.

I just finished the fourth season and you are spot on. The number of eye-roll moments in this series must be in the thousands but it works well. Looking forward to S5 :applause:

On 1/2/2022 at 3:40 PM, bentbryan said:

I just finished the fourth season and you are spot on. The number of eye-roll moments in this series must be in the thousands but it works well. Looking forward to S5 :applause:

One eye roller is no matter when a new member joins either cobra kai, miyagi do, or eagle claw, they are always at the same level with the other fighters like the next day.  Its like when 2 marvel heroes meet and are evenly matched-doesnt matter if its Thor vs dare devil.  But as you said, it doesnt matter.

On 1/2/2022 at 4:18 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Demon sorcery! :sumo:

-have climb a bit.

The scene cuts in the show are top notch-really keeps audience engaged.  The way they cut from a scene that has a great build up to another scene makes you wanna know what happens next.

On 1/2/2022 at 6:25 PM, Bosco685 said:

I did

Spoiler

not see that finale surprise coming!

:applause:

spoiler tags pls!  and no one else comment without spoiler tags.

One thing many movies and shows forget is every character has to have definite goals and obstacles-and conflict.  Cobra Kai is chock full of conflict.  Conflicting goals in characters is the essence of drama-just aks shakespeare!  Cobra goes a step further and makes conflict within the characters as well as without.  Sometimes its difficult to decide who's "right".  
We've all seen movies where the protagonist just wanders from scene to scene reacting to stuff.  No matter how many planets explode it will be dull AF unless these vital script elements are met.

Probably the most absurd premise in the series is that karate tournements draw a large audience, not just like in real life where its martial artists and their families basically.

But-It doesnt matter!

Edited by kav

On 1/2/2022 at 10:53 PM, kav said:

spoiler tags pls!  and no one else comment without spoiler tags.

I respect the concern. But I made sure to not post any spoilers by keeping the post very simple and lacking details.

Knowing Season 5 is coming, naturally there will be a finale lead-in to keep everyone in suspense. And this one did for sure.

On 1/3/2022 at 3:17 AM, kav said:

Its like when 2 marvel heroes meet and are evenly matched-doesnt matter if its Thor vs dare devil.  But as you said, it doesnt matter.

What are you talking about? Black Widow can take any villain out with her twin 9mm’s.

On 1/3/2022 at 2:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

I respect the concern. But I made sure to not post any spoilers by keeping the post very simple and lacking details.

Knowing Season 5 is coming, naturally there will be a finale lead-in to keep everyone in suspense. And this one did for sure.

well I was on ep 8 and all I could think about was

Spoiler

'ok there's a big surprise coming'-kinda ruined the surprise for me anyway.