• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been one year

45 posts in this topic

A year ago, my life fell apart. I lost my computer in a meltdown, lost a contract on a book I'd been working like a fiend on, and hadn't a dime to my name. I came to this forum to tell my story because you guys are my friends. That's what you do when you have difficulties. You talk to your friends. What I hadn't expected, and what remains to this day one of the most mind-blowing things that's ever happened to me, was the way you all rallied around me in my time of need.

This is a progress report, to show you what your love and kindness and help gave to me.

1. Two of the books I've written are now available worldwide, and have been translated into several languages. They aren't on the bestseller lists (no one expected them to be) but they're doing pretty good.

2. The book that got turned down on that terrible day was later picked up by another publisher. It's out in England right now, and will be co-published in the US in Aug/Sept. I just heard today that Borders is going to do an in-store promotion on it, which is huge! The American co-publisher immediately increased their order and some time in the fall, you will see my book spotlighted in every Borders bookstore across the US. This would never have happened had the other publisher contracted the book. It took the artistic vision of the new publisher to make the book what it is now -- a beautiful book with gorgeous watercolor washes by a talented Italian illustrator. I'm terribly proud of how it turned out and can't wait for it to hit these shores.

3. Within a month or so, I am most likely going to be presented with two more contracts (one is definite, the other is just waiting for the final signature), one from each publisher, for two new books. I've never written two books simultaneously, but it looks like I'm about to find out if I can do it.

4. I also have two more proposals, one at each publisher, which, if all goes well, should come to contract when these latest two are finished.

5. Meanwhile, I've been working on finishing my novel, and have an agent waiting to read it. This agent has been "courting" me for awhile, so chances are she'll take it on.

6. In the vague future, there might be some television work, but that's very much in the air right now, and not something I'm counting on. Still, if it happens, it'll be an enormous opportunity. I could buy back all my comics if that one goes through.

You guys gave me a second chance. More than one of you mentioned your help as "an investment" in the future. Well, my investors, this is my annual report. I hope I've done you proud. I hope you have no regrets. I'm going to continue to try to do more, do better, and make everyone here partners in a life with worth.

My deepest and most sincere gratitude to you all, my friends. Happy anniversary!

-- Joanna

I am glad that your life has taken a turn for the good. smile.gif And may i add you have a stunning voice on top of your obvious writing talents. flowerred.gif

Aww, thanks. Forgot to add that in the July issue of MacAddicts magazine, one of my songs is going to be featured on the MacAddict CD! They always include a CD with the magazine that features stuff done on a Mac, like software and, in my case, music recorded on Apple's recording software, GarageBand. I still can't believe my song got chosen for that.

-- Joanna

Glad to hear your ship has righted itself, Joanna - or more accurately, that you righted the ship with a little help from your friends wink.gif

So are you itching to replace some of the WWs / Sensations you no longer own?

Congrats on all the publishing - and singing! - success 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

That is wonderful news indeed. Here's to more of the same in the year to come!

(insert pic of guy hoisting frosty - or warm, as you may prefer - beverage in your honour)

Joanna, Have not been on these boards for over a year because I had my own hard times. (The MCI scandal almost ruined me). Things are much better for me now and it is great to hear you have gotten back on your feet as well. There is no better story than a person who hits rock bottom and climbs back up to be as successful as you have been. Congratulations and I hope you continue this climb to the top! Who says they never expected you to be on the best sellers list?

Elvis