• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I never noticed on Avengers 4 until now
1 1

42 posts in this topic

that the white bands (rings) on Cap's shield appear to be drawn translucent. It appears as though that's his arm, hand, and leg seen as a dark shadow though those white bands. Has anyone ever seen his shield drawn in that manner on any other cover or in any panel?

Avengers4.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

19 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

that the white bands (rings) on Cap's shield appear to be drawn translucent. It appears as though that's his arm, hand, and leg seen as a dark shadow though those white bands. Has anyone ever seen his shield drawn in that manner on any other cover or in any panel?

Avengers4.jpg

funny! i never noticed that b4! i think u r right!

1 hour ago, comics4all said:

funny! i never noticed that b4! i think u r right!

It's one of my favorite covers. I can tell you exactly how many windows are in each building and I could swear that wasn't like that, those bands were solid white until recently! :insane: 

It's a comic hobby Mandela paradox. Like 3CPO's silver leg that everybody thought was golden, like the rest of him and then when you look at old posters it's silver after all (what the heck?). Or some people remembering Vader saying, "Luke, I am your father", not the "NO. I am your father" that's on all the old videos sitting in closets for 40 years when you pull them out now to play. Or even the Mr. Rogers jingle, "It a wonderful day in the neighborhood", yet when you watch old shows now, the lyrics are, "it's a wonderful day in this neighborhood". Even in the bible. Loads of people remember, "and the lion shall lay down with the lamb", and when even 150 year old bibles are reviewed, they now all state the same thing, "and the wolves shall lay down with the lambs".

Looks like comic books weren't exempt from the Mandela effect!

Not only have I noticed that but if you look closely at an angle, it looks like two different types of black ink (flat and glossy). It makes it look like color touch and I’ve always wondered if some got through CGC as restoration. 

Ive only seen a few of these books, but it was on all the ones I saw. Has anyone else noticed this or am I completely off? (shrug)

8 minutes ago, KryptoMayor said:

Not only have I noticed that but if you look closely at an angle, it looks like two different types of black ink (flat and glossy). It makes it look like color touch and I’ve always wondered if some got through CGC as restoration. 

Ive only seen a few of these books, but it was on all the ones I saw. Has anyone else noticed this or am I completely off? (shrug)

I'm still getting used to seeing it, it's like I'm looking at Cap's shield for the first time and I thought I knew every line, every dot on this cover! Keep in mind that several types of black ink were used on covers. There's a flat black and a glossy black, and there are blacks that iridesce (spelling?) that can mimic the look of black color-touch (black with different color highlights). There's also "blacks" that are actually more of a deep, dark charcoal gray, and since their major component is graphite, they are very subject to smearing, as they are a substance that doesn't "dry" like inks, and you can see these on the covers of AF 15 and TTA 35 to name a few.

Edited by James J Johnson

8 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

That's shading to make the shield look shiny.

Yup. It's my theory that a story page was cut from Avengers 4, in which, while Steve Rogers is recovering, Tony Stark takes the shield back to his workshop and buffs it up with the same machine he uses to put a nice shine on his Iron Man armour.

A shame we never saw it, as the sequence would've been much more interesting than the Medusa Alien story in the latter half of the book.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:26 AM, James J Johnson said:

Avengers4.jpg

I'm more disturbed by two other details I never noticed before: Cap's tiny left leg and Giant Man's two right feet.

10 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

It's one of my favorite covers. I can tell you exactly how many windows are in each building and I could swear that wasn't like that, those bands were solid white until recently! :insane: 

It's a comic hobby Mandela paradox. Like 3CPO's silver leg that everybody thought was golden, like the rest of him and then when you look at old posters it's silver after all (what the heck?). Or some people remembering Vader saying, "Luke, I am your father", not the "NO. I am your father" that's on all the old videos sitting in closets for 40 years when you pull them out now to play. Or even the Mr. Rogers jingle, "It a wonderful day in the neighborhood", yet when you watch old shows now, the lyrics are, "it's a wonderful day in this neighborhood". Even in the bible. Loads of people remember, "and the lion shall lay down with the lamb", and when even 150 year old bibles are reviewed, they now all state the same thing, "and the wolves shall lay down with the lambs".

Looks like comic books weren't exempt from the Mandela effect!

The BerenstAin Bears thing freaks me out. Everyone I have ever met, ever, said BerenstEin Bears. 

7 minutes ago, october said:

The BerenstAin Bears thing freaks me out. Everyone I have ever met, ever, said BerenstEin Bears. 

Its CERN's fault. The large hadron collider shifted us into a parallel dimension. No other way to explain Trump.

4 hours ago, mysterio said:

I'm more disturbed by two other details I never noticed before: Cap's tiny left leg and Giant Man's two right feet.

I know what you mean about the forced perspective, but it's still one of the most dynamic, powerful images of Captain America ever drawn, and the cover and story features my all-time favourite, horned, 1963 version of the Iron Man armour.

3 hours ago, october said:

I always called them the Panty-Stain Bears.  The kids still all remember, even though they are 20, 24 and 28 now.

I absolutely hated reading the Panty-Stain Bears to them.  Gawdawful kids lit.

Mike in Springfield did some photoshop to make one of the books read "Panty-Stain Bears when I have posted this before.

59c6e54e0a9d2_thepantystainbears.jpg.9edb07c2b82984a8cde71dd20504de22.jpg

Edited by lizards2
found it

11 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I'm very slightly disappointed that this thread isn't about Cap's huge buck teeth.

I always thought it was simply an overbite, but now you've pointed out the gaps to each side, that can't be unseen.

Edited by Ken Aldred