• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gender/Race-Exclusive ECCC-sponsored mixers?
3 3

103 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I do hope you're not lumping me in with this.

No.  I've never gotten any vibe from you that we might disagree on these issues.

9 hours ago, mysterio said:

I’ve never been clear on why it is called “privilege” when someone is NOT discriminated against (or discriminated against less than someone else). Seems odd that the way things *should be* is focused upon as the “privilege” rather than focusing on the actual evil of the discrimination itself. Maybe it’s just me. 

The privilege comes from the expectation to be included in all things, including gatherings of or things belonging to disenfranchised groups.  Those groups get to live everyday with the feeling that favored groups (or the powerful or however you want to describe it) people, feeling left out, are experiencing. 

The privilege is being the majority and thinking that not getting to participate is being discriminated against. 

On 3/6/2018 at 5:39 PM, shadroch said:

Shows almost always have rooms that aren't being used at various hours.  If a subject generates proper interest, and submits the proper paperwork, it's a go.

So if a Nazi, KKK, Crypts, or the Bloods submit the proper paperwork you would sign off on the panel and put it on your shows list of events you endorsed.

1 hour ago, Transplant said:

The privilege comes from the expectation to be included in all things, including gatherings of or things belonging to disenfranchised groups.  Those groups get to live everyday with the feeling that favored groups (or the powerful or however you want to describe it) people, feeling left out, are experiencing. 

The privilege is being the majority and thinking that not getting to participate is being discriminated against. 

I have ran multiple shows and I can safely say I would never endorse a panel that is race, gender, religious, or political specific that would exclude people not of those groups from coming in. It is just not good business.

Maybe I am writer/creator/artist and I came up with a character, but somehow something just is not right. 

Maybe I decide I need help fixing and possibly partnering with someone on my creation that I can give cocreator credits to. What if I want that person to be of a certain gender because I believe a lady's touch is what a woman character needs, maybe I decide to give it the opportunity to an African American because the character has an African American background, and so forth, or maybe I am a person in confusion and just wants to ne educated on social issues.

1 hour ago, reddwarf666222 said:
3 hours ago, Transplant said:

I have ran multiple shows and I can safely say I would never endorse a panel that is race, gender, religious, or political specific that would exclude people not of those groups from coming in. It is just not good business.

Maybe I am writer/creator/artist and I came up with a character, but somehow something just is not right. 

Maybe I decide I need help fixing and possibly partnering with someone on my creation that I can give cocreator credits to. What if I want that person to be of a certain gender because I believe a lady's touch is what a woman character needs, maybe I decide to give it the opportunity to an African American because the character has an African American background, and so forth, or maybe I am a person in confusion and just wants to ne educated on social issues.

I think they are advertised as "mixers" not "panels" - may be, or not be a big diff there, but I don't know as I don't speak today's language.  My wife always laughs when I talk about "hooking up" with friends.  Maybe I'm having the last laugh...., 

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:
6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Wut, wut.  In the but.

My...., aren't we the saucy boy tonight!  :wink:

Just now, porcupine48 said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

My...., aren't we the saucy boy tonight!  :wink:

I'm choking over here..turns out she has several push push dance videos! :whatthe: 

It's great,good on her!

I may have to see you in five or so...., :ohnoez:

On 3/6/2018 at 8:28 AM, F For Fake said:

I think in general a "mixer" at a con is exactly along the lines of what you're thinking, it's a small party meant for small social groups to gather at a larger event.  I guess my question, given the tone of the linked article, is whether the writer was truly looking for a white, straight, male mixer, or if they were just looking to stir up trouble because of the other mixers being exclusive? I can see why women, or black people, or LGBTQ people, or any other minority, might be looking to have a small event where they don't feel like they have to look over their shoulder. I'm not sure why a white dude at a comic show would ever feel that way, as they/we (again, straight, white male dude here) overwhelmingly represent the majority at these events. But as for whether or not the con itself is sponsoring discriminatory events, that could very well be a valid legal question, and I'd have to defer to the legal eagles on the boards to weigh in on whether or not that is kosher.

The  real matter becomes an issue because the con is sponsoring  these events and, if you’re an industry professional or an aspiring one, most of the reason you go to cons is to meet other professionals and make connections   These connections often turn into jobs. It’s not just a social matter for people in this position   In fact, certain groups have pointed this problem out in condemning exclusionary organizations and events that do not include minorities or women.  Go figure 

4 hours ago, Transplant said:

You are extremely confused and mistaken.

Some group wants to sponsor an event-- a social gathering called a mixer. Big deal. Is it for you? maybe not, maybe they won't even let you attend (not unheard of).

You have choices-- you can move on and find something else to do. If this is some attempt to squeeze out someone based on race or sexual orientation or some other category, do you really want to be involved anyway?

Also--- odds are they aren't checking peoples sexual orientation at the door in the first place (I mean-- how does one do that in the first place?).

Perhaps what they are simply doing is saying-- "hey, we are a group of collectors/artists or whatever who identify with this common line of thinking-- those with similar ideals please feel free to join in". It most likely isn't about hate (not Nazi, skinheads etc)-- it is about acceptance or possibly even pride.

In the words of Rodney King-- "Is there a problem, officer?". No wait, that's not it.....