• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CLINK ever share data?
2 2

51 posts in this topic

I'd guess this
http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1236874

would have sold for more if this
http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1207018

was a published sale.

I get that some sales don't sell as high as they'd like, but let's face it - that happens on all sites.

My point is they tend to get nice GA inventory and when they're the only ones recently selling high grades of a rare book, they're kind of doing themselves a disservice... no?

Maybe, but a 9.0 HGC selling for 5.25 times ($7100) what a 7.5 sells for ($1356) isn't completely unheard of with GA books, especially GGA type books. Two years ago an 8.0 sold for $950, so the rise in value is recent, making it even harder to extrapolate value from a sale in one grade to the value in another. There's no guarantee that should the 9.0 come up for sale again it would achieve near the same price. I find that lately, attempting to gauge the FMV of any high demand book in high grade is difficult, and that prior sales in close grades is only somewhat useful, even less if they are more than 6 months old. While usually the price trend is upwards, with some high grade books, auction fever can take hold in one auction, and not be repeated the next.

11 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I open up a bunch of windows and just snap pics of the final sales if I want to keep the data for my personal records and future references. I’ve been meaning to start a book for so long just haven’t gotten around to it. I don’t mind that they don’t post to GPA personally it can work for or against you. In the circumstance you showed looks like the buyer of the 7.5 got a good deal. On the other hand I feel if all sales are made public then the owners of the books just bid them all up to fair market anyways so it’s a revolving door and can create an unhealthy market in the long run. 

Call me naive (okay, I hear you!), but is it common what you’re suggesting, that the book’s owner can and does bid up his/her own book? That just sounds wrong on so many levels. Surely the owner could just set a reserve...

And are you saying this practice would be more common at CL than at CC or HA precisely because CL doesn’t make their sales data public? Why would that be the case?

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I think ComicLink wanted to publish only specific sales, not all of them.  So if a book did better than expected, they want that out there for potential consignments.  If it does worse, they don't want that publicity.

It doesn't matter whether it records a higher price or not because when recorded to GPA, the seller or auction house remains anonymous anyways. It doesn't say so and so seller/auction house sold this book for this much on this date. Its only the grade, the figure, and the date.

3 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

It doesn't matter whether it records a higher price or not because when recorded to GPA, the seller or auction house remains anonymous anyways. It doesn't say so and so seller/auction house sold this book for this much on this date. Its only the grade, the figure, and the date.

I completely agree with your logic.  I'm just repeating what I've been told about GPA and ComicLink. (thumbsu 

14 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:
18 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I completely agree with your logic.  I'm just repeating what I've been told about GPA and ComicLink. (thumbsu 

It doesn't take too much sleuthing to narrow down point of sale if its an auction house, ebay etc just by looking at past sales, esp. if you have the cert number to confirm.

What entalmighty1 said is correct about not wanting to list complete data. Josh and George had that discussion right here on the boards. I used to have a link but it was lost in The Great Forum Migration.

12 hours ago, atomised said:

I'm not sure why GPAnalysis couldn't write code to scrape the sales data from the clink comic book results page and manually upload to their site.

It’s not public data. It’s private data. If you were to scrape it, you’d have to use an authenticated user, and that would most certainly violate their terms (which I have not read). There are other arguments they can make too, with respect to that data. In the end, can’t take this path w/o their consent - especially when there is commercial gain involved for GPA.

I like the ComicLink cats, but I think this is a silly stance to take. They’ve certainly cost themselves money. Maybe a lot. There are so great many sales that aren’t factored into the marketplace, and that’s lost rev for sure. Further, though I send them stuff, there are times when I, as the seller, want the tick in GPA and will route stuff elsewhere. It’s certainly a factor in my calculus.

9 minutes ago, BarristerBaker said:

I like the ComicLink cats, but I think this is a silly stance to take. They’ve certainly cost themselves money. Maybe a lot. There are so great many sales that aren’t factored into the marketplace, and that’s lost rev for sure. Further, though I send them stuff, there are times when I, as the seller, want the tick in GPA and will route stuff elsewhere. It’s certainly a factor in my calculus.

Clink retains the sales history on their site for a long time (couple years?).  After an auction is over the sales migrate over to the Exchange Section. I don't understand the problem. Sure, GPA sales stay out there forever but the data is effectively stale anyway after a certain period of time. How is it relevant what a book sold for 10 years ago ? In today's marketplace you need a crystal ball anyway, not old data.

Well I don’t know what their profits are these days but if their business model is working for them which seems to based on their selections every month I don’t know if staying out of the GPA game isn’t something they can continue to stay out of.

I can think of a couple people I know when they make private sales in six figures or so ask the seller to keep the information just that, private. So if a business is doing the same (not quite but in principle at least similar) it’s their call.

40 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Well I don’t know what their profits are these days but if their business model is working for them which seems to based on their selections every month I don’t know if staying out of the GPA game isn’t something they can continue to stay out of.

I can think of a couple people I know when they make private sales in six figures or so ask the seller to keep the information just that, private. So if a business is doing the same (not quite but in principle at least similar) it’s their call.

Information is power, no doubt.  I'm always appreciative when the big dogs here chime in with known sales data.  It's an underappreciated service.

True and as the sales threads here show us at times it’s probably best to do a little research on current market value before selling. That’s true of all things though.

My point is I respect someone be they a person or a business that doesn’t want national attention when they buy or sell something. Some people actually prefer to downplay what they buy and pay for it.

As noted already in comic links case they have the final prices posted on their site for a time if you’re interested.

If the GPA is something you want to be your bible you’re going to have to accept the fact a lot of books are bought and sold out of that data scope and that’s not going to change.

Maybe when Skynet finally goes online it could happen I guess... lol 

F38C0AED-D860-44D8-A090-5C32E06B8073.jpeg.d7e2b73f48992cc6f09cace2981b1a80.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

Gpa charges for their compilation of public information. Why should Clink just give it away and GPA make money. GPA needs to perhaps pay up. Now if they have offered, my guess is they haven’t offered enough.

7 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
18 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I open up a bunch of windows and just snap pics of the final sales if I want to keep the data for my personal records and future references. I’ve been meaning to start a book for so long just haven’t gotten around to it. I don’t mind that they don’t post to GPA personally it can work for or against you. In the circumstance you showed looks like the buyer of the 7.5 got a good deal. On the other hand I feel if all sales are made public then the owners of the books just bid them all up to fair market anyways so it’s a revolving door and can create an unhealthy market in the long run. 

Call me naive (okay, I hear you!), but is it common what you’re suggesting, that the book’s owner can and does bid up his/her own book? That just sounds wrong on so many levels. Surely the owner could just set a reserve...

And are you saying this practice would be more common at CL than at CC or HA precisely because CL doesn’t make their sales data public? Why would that be the case?

CLink doesn't allow shill bidding, but whether they can stop it when a consignor has a second ID and cloaks his ISP (don't ask me how this is done; I have no clue!) or if one guy bids up his buddy's book is another matter.  All the auction houses block you automatically from bidding on your own consignments if they can recognize that it's you. 

20 hours ago, jhm said:

I'd guess this
http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1236874

would have sold for more if this
http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1207018

was a published sale.

I get that some sales don't sell as high as they'd like, but let's face it - that happens on all sites.

My point is they tend to get nice GA inventory and when they're the only ones recently selling high grades of a rare book, they're kind of doing themselves a disservice... no?

You could be right, but I'm not so sure it would have sold for more for several reasons:  1.  The 9.0 is tied for highest graded.  There are two 8.0s and four 7.5s.  That by itself might explain the difference in price. 2.  Somebody following this book closely probably is aware of the earlier auction.  If you bid on a CLink auction, the hammer price is in your bid list indefinitely.  That makes it easy for you to check previous sales of a book -- presuming that you've been bidding on them.  3.  Dealers are always circling around these auctions.  If they see a book about to close very low, they'll usually swoop in with a bid that is roughly FMV minus their markup.  That's particularly likely to happen with a book like this one that should be pretty easy for a dealer to resell. 

12 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

CLink doesn't allow shill bidding, but whether they can stop it when a consignor has a second ID and cloaks his ISP (don't ask me how this is done; I have no clue!) or if one guy bids up his buddy's book is another matter.  All the auction houses block you automatically from bidding on your own consignments if they can recognize that it's you. 

I think both you fine young gentlemen may have mistook what I was saying which after i reread is understandable. I wasn’t talking as much about the auction houses themselves as much as I was GPA and how it affects future sales. When I stated bid up their own books I meant if they had a copy too not the actual item for sale and how past sales relate to that bid. For example guys let’s say 10 Reglar fellas have a Hulk 181 CGC 9.6. They see one pops up on CLink for sale. I would bet a few of them would look at recent GPA and bid that book up close to what last GPA was essentially keeping the value of their book at the market perceived high or even higher than what they paid when they bought their copy originally. I don’t know anyone that does this and I don’t have the scratch or the time to do things like this myself but I sure bet it happens. For many if they end up with the book oh well they will just take it and place it back up for sale with a small markup. If they get outbid by someone who really wants a Hulk 181 9.6 that doesn’t actually have one then good too especially if it’s on ebay or CC for example because then that sale gets listed on GPA and the book goes up even more at least perceivablely. It ends up being a market where flippers are flipping to flippers and so on and so forth and no one wants to get stuck with the hot potato. That is what I was getting at with the original post but more as it relates to rarer books and GPA. Unless someone wants to hoard a book obviously if there is no sales data on a book then the true market for that copy at that place and time is what you get. Take my Our Flag 5 for example there was no sales data whatsoever when i bought that book at least at my fingertips so I placed the bid I felt comfortable paying for the book and that was that. I wasn’t worried that someone else with an Our Flag 5 was going to bid me up to a certain perceived market value of that makes sense