• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Prints, Limited & Open Edition

56 posts in this topic

and this thing..........

I talked to him.

I shook his hand. 

I bought 2 each of his 3 different poster/prints.

I asked him if he would give me his signature on each of them

He did.

NO CHARGE

5ab5dcd6c6c9e_schomburgtorch.thumb.jpg.047ae00f6b1be90f898ed01cf1d2f5bd.jpg 

Beautiful stuff, especially love Seth (big fan!) and Schomburg, what a great story from a very different time in our hobby.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:10 AM, Logan510 said:
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, Senormac said:

shadow.thumb.JPG.7bef01d31fb6b858ef8e57d32f867dcd.JPG

He was one of my illustration teachers when I went to art school. 

:whatthe:  Wow !!  That's cool.  I don't know what he is up to now but about 10 years ago when I got this he was doing pulp cover reproductions that were PERFECT !!  Shadow, Doc Savage, The Spider etc. 

6 minutes ago, Senormac said:

:whatthe:  Wow !!  That's cool.  I don't know what he is up to now but about 10 years ago when I got this he was doing pulp cover reproductions that were PERFECT !!  Shadow, Doc Savage, The Spider etc. 

When he was my teacher he had just gotten his first few jobs from Wizards of the Coast and would use students in the class as models. It was always neat to see what new thing he was working on as he would use those jobs as teaching tools.

Don't know if you've ever checked out his brothers work, but Gary Gianni does some nice stuff too.

11 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
28 minutes ago, Senormac said:

When he was my teacher he had just gotten his first few jobs from Wizards of the Coast and would use students in the class as models. It was always neat to see what new thing he was working on as he would use those jobs as teaching tools.

Don't know if you've ever checked out his brothers work, but Gary Gianni does some nice stuff too.

Nope.  I look him up when I get some time .  

On 3/24/2018 at 1:05 AM, Senormac said:

Carl Barks :luhv:

IMG_6666.thumb.jpg.875237796692a5f10995500ed8d9c13c.jpg

I have always wanted to collect many of Carl Banks prints, but they are not cheap by any measure. Have just always been a huge fan of DuckTales and Scrooge McDuck. Great print!

I get it, but it's not an issue for me, really. As I said, I don't really collect prints, for the most part, but i DO collect vinyl, so I am very much used to their whole deal. I have pretty much never missed out on any of their limited vinyl releases that I wanted, and with prints and other collectibles, can probably count on one hand the items I really wanted that I didn't get. And if I didn't get it, it doesn't bother me. Plenty of other junk to blow my money on, so I don't sweat the stuff I don't get. But I understand where you're coming from, i have read lots (and lots!) of angry comments from folks who miss out on the stuff they want. I get it. I just don't get worked up over it.

I get that too, but again, it's just not for me. I used to have several itoyas with original art and prints (and smaller ones for autographed 8 x 10's, and junk like that) but a few years ago came to the realization that I outlined above: if I can't see it, I don't need it. I am just not the sort of person to sit back with a portfolio and flip through it.  Just not something I'm interested in doing. But different strokes and all that, seems like you're quite pleased with it, and it's certainly a handsome collection. Just not my thing. Same for self framing. I've read a lot about it and I've seen some neat results, but it's just not worth my time.

I'm not sure how much you have read up on the topic of matting and framing, but its definitely not something that takes a lot of time. I am to the point where I can matte and frame a print in roughly 5 minutes. All you have to do is make a couple of measurments on the print, use a pencil and a long 24" ruler to mark the lines on the back of the matte and then make the cuts one at a time with the matte cutter. From there you just use a single piece of linen tape to attach the top and bottom of the matte board, center the print in the matte and either use large photo corners or make your own corners using various techniques to secure the print in place. Most people would be blown away just how easy it really is and just how much money you would save. Given the prices I have seen recently from various framing shops, your talking about saving at least $100-$150 depending on the size. 

And your stance on having no interest in collecting prints in portfolio's only make this topic that much more relevant as again one of the single best aspects of learning to matte and frame your own prints is the ability to switch out the prints in your frames. Having a limited amount of wall space to hang framed prints is a problem pretty much 99% of print collectors face after all, it doesn't take many framed prints to fill up the free space on your walls. Having the ability to switch out any print in any of the frames you have on your walls is really the best aspect of learnging how to matte and frame your own prints. It never ceases to amaze me how different a room looks when you switch out the artwork. This would give you the ability to collect more prints without having to use portfolio's to view them. You just matte the prints you wind up buying and store them in a print box like Light Impressions sells and when you feel like changing your prints up, you just pull them out and switch em up. While I can matte and frame a print in roughly 5 minutes, it only takes me a couple of minutes to take down a framed print and switch out the artwork for that frame. And unless your buying really large prints, you can buy all of the equipment needed to matte your own prints for roughy $100. ANd if you go the eBay route ad buy a used matte cutter, you can get it for even less than that. 

Anyways, something to think about if you ever decide you want to buy more prints without having to resort to using portfolio's to view that artwork. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

I have always wanted to collect many of Carl Banks prints, but they are not cheap by any measure. Have just always been a huge fan of DuckTales and Scrooge McDuck. Great print!

I'm not sure how much you have read up on the topic of matting and framing, but its definitely not something that takes a lot of time. I am to the point where I can matte and frame a print in roughly 5 minutes. All you have to do is make a couple of measurments on the print, use a pencil and a long 24" ruler to mark the lines on the back of the matte and then make the cuts one at a time with the matte cutter. From there you just use a single piece of linen tape to attach the top and bottom of the matte board, center the print in the matte and either use large photo corners or make your own corners using various techniques to secure the print in place. Most people would be blown away just how easy it really is and just how much money you would save. Given the prices I have seen recently from various framing shops, your talking about saving at least $100-$150 depending on the size. 

And your stance on having no interest in collecting prints in portfolio's only make this topic that much more relevant as again one of the single best aspects of learning to matte and frame your own prints is the ability to switch out the prints in your frames. Having a limited amount of wall space to hang framed prints is a problem pretty much 99% of print collectors face after all, it doesn't take many framed prints to fill up the free space on your walls. Having the ability to switch out any print in any of the frames you have on your walls is really the best aspect of learnging how to matte and frame your own prints. It never ceases to amaze me how different a room looks when you switch out the artwork. This would give you the ability to collect more prints without having to use portfolio's to view them. You just matte the prints you wind up buying and store them in a print box like Light Impressions sells and when you feel like changing your prints up, you just pull them out and switch em up. While I can matte and frame a print in roughly 5 minutes, it only takes me a couple of minutes to take down a framed print and switch out the artwork for that frame. And unless your buying really large prints, you can buy all of the equipment needed to matte your own prints for roughy $100. ANd if you go the eBay route ad buy a used matte cutter, you can get it for even less than that. 

Anyways, something to think about if you ever decide you want to buy more prints without having to resort to using portfolio's to view that artwork. 

Yeah, just reading about it is more work than I want to actually put into it. Measuring...pencils...I'm exhausted! I'd rather just pay the nice lady at the shop to do it, on the rare occasion that I get something framed. But it sounds like you have a system in place that is working for you, so more power to ya! I'm at a point in my life where I'm generally looking to consolidate or clear out a chunk of stuff in my collection, so I definitely don't need any excuses for making collecting and displaying prints easier ha Best to not tempt me!

On 3/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I am not terribly fond of Mondo's practices, but I do like a lot of their stuff, so I just pick up the stuff I like (if I'm lucky) for myself, and if I miss out, no big deal. But I am primarily a vinyl collector with Mondo, and while some of that stuff sells fast, i don't think it's ever been as brutal as their gallery print leftover sales, and what's more, these days they are going back to press on a lot of the sold out vinyl. For instance, I sold my Jaws OST when the prices went nuts, then bought it again when they rereleased it a few weeks ago. Same with The Fifth Element, and a few others. I waffled on Atomic Blonde until it finally sold out, but they put that one back up recently as well. So at least there's a bit more flexibility with their vinyl.

Man, I LOVE that Blade Runner piece. Must keep telling myself the lie that I have repeated several times now: I don't collect prints. I don't collect prints. I don't collect prints...

I would only worry about those vinyl records if they were stated to be a limited number run. I think that large Hellraiser puzzle box replica vinyl set sold quickly. A few of those vinyl companies seem to go back to print when there is demand.There was a big blow up about Waxwork Records The Thing deluxe release. Lucky that they decided to make a second run and complete orders. I was one of those that missed the original release after all the hype they were doing.

I don't think there are many good Blade Runner prints. I waited too long to get one of these and they flew off ebay when the new movie came out.

br_gold_7201.jpg

On 3/23/2018 at 11:59 PM, Senormac said:

Metropolis Movie poster..... not an original :sorry:

I still like lookin at it :grin:

5ab5dacfd9b5d_metropolisposter.jpg.0d08d75b0234967541f249e26aad4aba.jpg

There are a bunch of prints for Metropolis. A sampling of a few that I thought were good.

Ken-Taylor-Metropolis-Movie-Poster-Mondo

ken-taylor-illustration-metropolis.jpg

Metropolis-Kevin-Tong-Movie-Poster.jpg

Mondo has this X-Men related print for Legion coming out tomorrow. I only watched part of the first episode a while back but I want to try and get into the show again. It's a low run print but it's clever.

PCC_LegionDay_Sm_1024x1024.png?v=1522017

PCC_LegionNight_SmSt_1024x1024.png?v=152

Edited by GeneticNinja

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, F For Fake said:
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, OrangeCrush said:

measurments on the print, use a pencil and a long 24" ruler to mark the lines on the back of the matte and then make the cuts one at a time with the matte cutter. From there you just use a single piece of linen tape to attach the top and bottom of the matte board, center the print in the matte and either use large photo corners or make your own corners using various techniques to secure the print in place. Most people would be blown away just how easy it really is and just how much money you would save. Given the prices I have seen recently from various framing shops, your talking about saving at least $100-$150 depending on the size. 

Yeah, just reading about it is more work than I want to actually put into it. Measuring...pencils...I'm exhausted! I'd rather just pay the nice lady at the shop to do it, on the rare occasion that I get something framed. But it sounds like you have a system in place that is working for you, so more power to ya! I'm at a point in my life where I'm generally looking to consolidate or clear out a chunk of stuff in my collection, so I definitely don't need any excuses for making collecting and displaying prints easier ha Best to not tempt me!

Matte and framing your own work would be a useful craft. 

I find it's also good to know the small businessman framing shop guy and take him your work sometimes.  (thumbsu

I really like that first  Metropolis print you posted.  It's got excellent mood.  

Here's my latest acquisition.  Alex Gross Marvel super heroes  :luhv:

5abaf9ee04e6b_alexgrossmarvelheros(3).thumb.jpg.62a483c2cb2e7090a51a3c27739d7ed4.jpg

Edited by Senormac
doh

7 hours ago, Senormac said:

Matte and framing your own work would be a useful craft. 

I find it's also good to know the small businessman framing shop guy and take him your work sometimes.  (thumbsu

The problem with frame shops is they dn't use archival framing methods unless asked and many don't even when you ask. They know your not going to tear it open and check so it remains one of th biggest problems with getting prints framed by professional framers. If the see a chance at making an extra $30-40, many will take it. Doing all my own mating and framing guarantee's that its archival methods with the best materials. I have seen more than my fair share of prints that were supposedly archivally framed and weren't.