• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art that you disliked..

29 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Flambit said:

That very much parallels my experience with comics during that era.  Sienkiewicz on NM was so utterly jarring for a comic that I avidly followed that I couldn't hold on for more than a few issues.  I know that Sienkiewicz is considered a genius, but to this day I can't stand his style.   And over on the X-Men, the weird fashion and design choices were beginning to get out of hand: remember Magneto's purple suit with the flared collars and huge white M?   I stuck with it for a while, until it morphed until that 90's lineup that is so revered today, but for me, it was pouches, giant guns and Liefeld, So with the sole exception of Love and Rockets, I didn't read a comic book for five or six years.  And although I continued going to SDCC, unfortunately, I sort of forgot about the original art aspect, so I totally missed those early 90's prices.  

Amen brother!  I like Bill's art on many other things, but the 80's were a train wreck across the board.  It was like watching Desperately Seeking Susan on the spinner racks each month!

2 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I hated New Mutants then, and I don't know that I particularly like it now- I think part of it is a function of my complete and utter disdain for 80's style and fashion, which very much influenced Bill's work. It also infected JRjr's run on X-Men and between the two, I stopped collecting both titles for a time.  Any character created or expanded on during that era very much suffered from 80's fashion, and it took years to grow out of it. I think Rachel Summers/Phoenix was a lousy character and it had a lot to do with her look. Rogue almost suffered the same fate, but Lee reinvented her "look." Dazzler faded to nothing for the same reason, she went from flashy Disco look to a bad Jazzercise Work-out Video Star.

The 80's happened....

Deal with it.

21 hours ago, Twanj said:

I never got Kirby when I was a kid either. But I didn't really give it a chance, and I wasn't coming across it in the mid 80s/early 90s.

I went back & read some stuff later & I love it!

Same here. I started reading comics in the 80's, so I was all about Art Adams and all of the flashy guys who followed in his wake. Kirby comics just seemed so WEIRD to me. Fast forward to the 90's, I started working in a comic shop, and suddenly everything just clicked into place for me, and I GOT IT. Now Kirby is far and away my all time favorite comic artist, and I can't understand how I didn't get it before. 

I did not "get" Kirby when I first discovered comics. Later on I realized the pure genius of his work. I would love to have a piece of his art some day. Similarly, Trimpe's art didn't click right away but I came to love his art as well (more quickly than with Kirby). 

For me it was later and more recent Ditko. Too turned off by the more overt political themes of his work, I didn't really give his work the look I should have. I gotta say, still don't agree with the politics, but man he's still got it from an art standpoint. He still draws superheroes pretty fantastically and in a way few artists can. 

Alfredo Alcala. I didn't get it, it was so liney and like a wood cut. He just was so overpowering everything turned into his work. Now as i get some perspective i realize he was unique and he brought a flavor to certain guys work. Its still somewhat overpowering as a style, but its one I appreciate more and more.

Keith Giffen and Trevor Von Eeden. Didn't actively dislike either, just found their styles jarring relative to standard fare. Later discovered Jose Munoz, and realized that Giffen was just doing his version of Munoz. Can't say I necessarily became a fan at that point, but I did find it more interesting, at least.

I've been meaning to give Von Eeden's THRILLER a re-read. I have a feeling that I'll appreciate it more now.

I do believe that early exposure to those two opened my eyes to new styles. So by the time Ted McKeever hit the scene with EDDY CURRENT, I was ready. Big fan of that.

20 hours ago, comix4fun said:

The 80's happened....

Deal with it.

33 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

No. (tsk)

I don't know why you're fighting this. I've seen your "Throwback Thursday" pics and you had fabulous hair in the 80's.