• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Expectations of art values

How do you feel about value?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. In your lifetime - what is your expectation of value on art you buy now?

• Lose 50% or more
    • Lose 21-49%
    • Lose 1-20%
    • Break even
    • Gain 1-20%
    • Gain 21-100%
    • Gain 100% -200%
    • Gain 201-500%
    • Gain 501% or more

16 posts in this topic

Inspired by a comment in the Jim Lee commssion post - where a board is said they got commissions with expectations to not get their money out t any point. I present this poll. For art you buy at $500 or more - even though you may not buy for value - most of us have expectations of value - so what is yours for art you buy now  ( not art you have held for years already. ) time line for gains or losses will vary - but in general - it' for however long you will keep it. Assuming didn't buy to flip in the first place.

Talking published art here. Not commssions.

Edited by Panelfan1

59 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have very different expectations for commissions/sketches vs published art. Commissions are like cars, they lose half the value the minute you take possession.

Not necessarily. Some commissions are extremely well done and are very difficult to obtain. The reason commission prices skyrocketed over the last 10 years is because people were obtaining them and reselling for substantially more.

But my answer to the poll above was break even. 

My answer was 100-200% as an overall average and with a hold time of 10 years or more. I'm thinking out of every ten pieces, there will be two big winners, three break-evens, and five minor to middling losers. I focus on making sure the winners really win, to cover the rest.

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

Not necessarily. Some commissions are extremely well done and are very difficult to obtain. The reason commission prices skyrocketed over the last 10 years is because people were obtaining them and reselling for substantially more.

But my answer to the poll above was break even. 

Really? Commissions? Not con sketches but $500+ commissions? I have bought many many commissions and find that this is not the case, with some rare exceptions.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

Really? Commissions? Not con sketches but $500+ commissions? I have bought many many commissions and find that this is not the case, with some rare exceptions.

Yes. I’ve been offered multiple over cost for my Bruce Timm Huntress, Gulacy Black Widow, Devries Batman etc.

11 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Yes. I’ve been offered multiple over cost for my Bruce Timm Huntress, Gulacy Black Widow, Devries Batman etc.

Seems to me that art commissions are where CGC could, make a buck, so to speak. One of the biggest reasons s there isn’t as much of a secondary market is fear of scams. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

7 hours ago, Bird said:

I think " good commissions " have very good value ( High End Artists works do very well in art auctions ) from re-creations to unique and rare pieces. Granted, mid to lower tier artists will not do well and somewhat similar to their published works as well. 

I also think that as published works go out of range for many collectors, commissions will fill a very nice and needed part of the hobby.

That being said, no doubt that a good published piece will do better then a commission of same quality.

I basically do not disagree with you but just saying that commission works somewhat like published works have to be judged on an individual basis.

It depends on commissions, con drawings. If they are more generic, just the character I see the value can rise. If it fits a certain theme, listening to an iPod something else it would drop in value since its more specific. Also if the artists personalizes it many will not want to buy it.

15 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Moy was/is now listing Bruce Timm watercolor commissions, per character, of $1,700 each (but, all the slots have since been filled).

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Moy was/is now listing Bruce Timm watercolor commissions, per character, of $1,700 each (but, all the slots have since been filled).

Gah, was that on Albert's site? I didn't see that anywhere.

19 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I have several pieces that I have received offers above cost as well. I think this is one of the things that keep the commission hobby so strong. We often think of the homerun pieces that would be easy sells at or above our cost and it keeps the fire burning for more (and more expensive) commissions. Problem is that while you will do well on a few, you will lose considerably on others and the overall cost of all your commissions don’t bear out the same (gains) results. Across the board for ALL commissioned art, you are lucky to break even, at least in my experience. For me, that is OK as I don’t think about resale but rather think about getting a piece that means a lot to me and I will enjoy looking at through the years. It is also why I cap my commission cost per piece because, at a certain price point, cost does make me look differently at a piece.

Every commission I've gotten, I got with the intention of keeping it as a memento of meeting the artist, and having something special that was just for me. On a couple of occasions, whether financial need, or just a change in my collecting habits, I've sold my commissions. The results were so random as to be completely inconclusive. Some of them made multiples of what I paid, and others absolutely ate it, and neither case really seemed to depend on the quality of the commission itself. Anyway, it's not something I do much anymore because I'd generally rather have published pages instead, but if an opportunity arises that I can't turn down, I'd again consider it a souvenir, and not an investment.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Every commission I've gotten, I got with the intention of keeping it as a memento of meeting the artist, and having something special that was just for me. On a couple of occasions, whether financial need, or just a change in my collecting habits, I've sold my commissions. The results were so random as to be completely inconclusive. Some of them made multiples of what I paid, and others absolutely ate it, and neither case really seemed to depend on the quality of the commission itself. Anyway, it's not something I do much anymore because I'd generally rather have published pages instead, but if an opportunity arises that I can't turn down, I'd again consider it a souvenir, and not an investment.

I feel the same way, except that I haven't sold any. I don't think there would be much of a market for them anyway.