• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COPPER AGE BOOKS FUTURE VALUES

177 posts in this topic

plus there are no Wolverines or Punishers in the Copper Age, as virtually nothing *happened* during those years.

Wolverine 1. confused-smiley-013.gif

I meant that there were no big superhero first appearances in Copper, along the lines of Wolverine or Punisher in the Bronze.

I think you have to look to 1st appearances of new bad guys for the copper age. ASM 300 obviously leads the pack in popularity, but what about Avengers 195/196?

Bring on the Bad guys. headbang.gif

Depending on what you consider "Copper Age", the chart below assumes 1980-1997, then average price paid per book (regardless of book) has gone up since we have been tracking.

The way the graph below works is that we take all sales for Copper books, for each Quarter (ever 3 months, starting with July 2002 and ending June 2005) and determining an average value per book (based on the total number of books sold for that quarter). To determine if there are any bumps due to extraordinary high sales, we do a second average that takes out the top sales (in this case top 10) and does the same average calculation. The lines are represented on the graph as blue and red respectively.

This will be an analysis in GPA soon that will allow collectors to slice and dice the market, based on title, grade, era and even looking at regularly traded books to gauge some kind of index.

RegardsGP

Title: All Titles Era:Copper Age (1980-1997) Grade Range: All Grades
Quarter
All Sales
Total Books Avg Value Top Sales Avg Value Q3 2002 (Jul-Sep) $196,062.40 4,871 $40.25 $5,402.75(10) $39.22 Q4 2002 (Oct-Dec) $210,383.90 5,593 $37.62 down.gif $5,109.95(10) $36.77 down.gif Q1 2003 (Jan-Mar) $297,056.34 7,355 $40.39 up.gif $7,500.89(10) $39.42 up.gif Q2 2003 (Apr-Jun) $257,122.56 6,429 $39.99 down.gif $9,606.01(10) $38.56 down.gif Q3 2003 (Jul-Sep) $192,321.11 4,687 $41.03 up.gif $5,601.00(10) $39.92 up.gif Q4 2003 (Oct-Dec) $184,733.37 4,254 $43.43 up.gif $8,919.56(10) $41.43 up.gif Q1 2004 (Jan-Mar) $229,700.86 5,155 $44.56 up.gif $9,589.36(10) $42.78 up.gif Q2 2004 (Apr-Jun) $236,112.80 4,834 $48.84 up.gif $11,848.76(10) $46.49 up.gif Q3 2004 (Jul-Sep) $329,529.77 6,288 $52.41 up.gif $17,002.14(10) $49.78 up.gif Q4 2004 (Oct-Dec) $281,933.50 5,524 $51.04 down.gif $11,578.98(10) $49.03 down.gif Q1 2005 (Jan-Mar) $354,768.80 7,607 $46.64 down.gif $17,461.60(10) $44.40 down.gif Q2 2005 (Apr-Jun) $344,327.28 6,909 $49.84 up.gif $26,173.83(10) $46.12 up.gif
gpa_trends_chart.png

None of the Marvel/DC mainstream 1980's books will ever worth any serious cash, as print runs were high and collectors saved those books pristine and en masse. There's just too many of them in HG for prices to ever spike like Bronze did, plus there are no Wolverines or Punishers in the Copper Age, as virtually nothing *happened* during those years.

If you want to find books with some upward potential, look at the Independent superhero books with a fanbase and some potential, but it's likely a bit too late for those too.

I agree. Only the copper age keys (DD#168, ASM#238 and a few others) will ever be worth significant money, and only then in the highest grades (9.6+, and you'll really need 9.8 to see any real money out of them). When the Direct Market exploded in the late 1970s and comic specialty shops started opening up all over, people suddenly had easy access to bags, boards, and boxes and became much more educated as a general matter about keeping books in "mint" condition. When you couple all of that with the huge print runs (comparatively) on Copper Age titles (anywhere from 100,000 copies to 250,000 copies on mainstream titles) and the huge number of those that went straight to backstock in bags and boards, that means that there will always be a large supply of those issues. And that'll keep prices down relative to the gains we have seen in Bronze Age books.

For the vast majority of books that is quite true. But given the sudden surge in value of a couple of fairly lame JLAs based on a new story line,how can you say it won't happen again?

Its not an isolated case either. Appearences of Mystique,Machine Man,Jack O'Lantern,Sabertooth,ect, sat for many,many years before those characters developed into anything.

Who is to say what character the next great writer will pull from the backwaters of the comic omniverse?Can anyone honestly say they felt Captain Boomerang would one day be a desireable villian? Who knows what throwaway hero or villian will inspire the next great comic saga. And when those books get hot,demand will exceed supply.For at least as long as it takes for dealers to realize the parties over and that they bought too late.

The trick is convincing the writer to feature books you are overstocked on.

Interesting question about future values. Considering bronze age was in the quarter bins but 10-15 years ago, now's the time to be investing... if that's your bag.

Where will the future value be found... as always, in quality books with nice grades. Here's my thinking.

GOOD independents, like Pacific. There's a lot out there now, but will they last? Dave Stevens Rocketeers. Alien Worlds. Twisted Tales. Great books.

End of run books. Jonah Hex. Sgt. Fury. DC Horror and War books. Most of these genre titles ended between 1980 and 1988. Go mad for these. I think Elvira's House of Mystery could pop - especially the one with the Dave Stevens cover. Some character Miniseries like 'Sword of the Atom' could pop - great Gil Kane art.

Savage Sword of Conan mags. High grades will definitely be big in grade.

Offbeat Marvels like Amazing High Adventures, the Nam, etc. Could pop. GI Joe will always be a big seller.

One of the best series of this era was DCs Camelot 3000, but there are MILLIONS of them out there. Offbeat, end of run and unnoticed books with quality art will do well in the long run.

Shep

Interesting question about future values. Considering bronze age was in the quarter bins but 10-15 years ago, now's the time to be investing... if that's your bag.

Where will the future value be found... as always, in quality books with nice grades. Here's my thinking.

GOOD independents, like Pacific. There's a lot out there now, but will they last? Dave Stevens Rocketeers. Alien Worlds. Twisted Tales. Great books.

Shep

this i can agree with. but which Indy's are going to be the ones that do well? first appearance of Bill Willingham's Elementals - Justice Machine Annual 1 - has been stagnant for ten years, while Comico Primer #2 is blowing up. go figure that one out

There's tons of Copper Age stuff that has value now and will increase in years to come. I remember in the 1980s how 70s comics were regarded as generally worthless! That's certainly changed now!

TRUE comics shops started and comics began to be hoarded - but the hobby was still undeveloped in comparison to today.

The single biggest factor in years to come will be grade. Since CGC began people have begun to TRULY understand true high grade and true perfection in a comic. In the 80s "near mint" meant read once and stored in a poly bag - "near mint" today means effectively untouched and flawless. That's why there are so many VFs grades on copper books now. A 9.8 or above is a prize for a 20 year old book I think!

p.s. without stating the obvious, Miracleman is one of the most liquid copper age books. 15, 23 and 24 sell for big $ - and full runs always do well. I recently sold 1-24 in VF/NM for $460 - that's value my friends - 10 years from now, $1000????

p.s. without stating the obvious, Miracleman is one of the most liquid copper age books. 15, 23 and 24 sell for big $ - and full runs always do well. I recently sold 1-24 in VF/NM for $460 - that's value my friends - 10 years from now, $1000????

You and your Miracleman! Always talkin' 'bout Miracleman. poke2.gif

Can't wait to see the new OS Guide! 893whatthe.gif

Comico Primers and early Dark Horse books were ordered in woeful numbers.Had both companies simply printed to orders,rather than overprinting-these books would be in the same league as Albedo#2.

I recall Mark Hamill(sp?) telling me advance orders on the first three Primers were under 1,000 copies,but the company had faith in the books and overprinted.

I am amazed that the early Elementals,and the Justice Machine,for that matter don't sell for more.I guess supply exceeds demand.But,if DC aquires the rights and does a 12 part crossover with the League and the Society......

Or if Grendel become a Spider-foe.....

I'm just quoting Overstreet Price Guide. They invented the term Copper Age and that is how they define it.

They can invent my hass,

I have a feeling that's already been invented. Got a patent on it? Wouldn't want anyone stealing yours.

insane.gif