• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are a few bubbles going to be popping soon like IM#55,NM#87 and ASM#300?
3 3

46 posts in this topic

I think all three of those examples are solid long term holds, IF you got them before the hype train really went off the rails. I agree with many other folks in that I think there will be some correction, but no true bubble bursting. These aren't spec books anymore, these are all well established keys. They may dip a little bit, but they're never going to be cheap.

NM 98 - I think this one will flatten out simply because there are so damn many of them showing up all of the time. But the character has made his imprint on popular culture. They're going to be making these movies and spinoffs until the end of time. I wouldn't buy one at current prices, but I can't see it ever bottoming out completely, short of a complete market collapse. It's like IH 181, there are a blue million of them out there, but someone always wants one.

ASM 300 - I'm not sure that the movie will help this one, but it shouldn't hurt it either. The teaser trailer didn't seem to have anything "Venom" about it, but of course the movie is still very far way, so that will likely all change. But this character is also here to stay, and this has been a key issue for so long now, I can't imagine it'll ever dip too much. I don't think movie hype is really pushing this book either way, I think it's just an established key, 1st appearance of massively popular character, classic cover, iconic artist. This book has plenty to keep it afloat regardless of movie spec. It may continue to see a bit of a movie run-up, but I think this train has permanently left the station, regardless of how the movie does.

IM 55 - Now this one seems to me to be the most vulnerable, and may dip the most following the release of these films. Marvel has established Thanos as their chief villain, but is anyone even buying Marvel comics anymore? It's been a long build up to seeing Thanos on the big screen, so the hype train has had plenty of time to build steam. I could see this one dropping quite a bit after the movie, but again, not enough to truly call it a bubble burst.

Of course, this is all conjecture, it'll be interesting to see how things go. I'd be happy to own all three books (and have owned all three in the past) I just wouldn't pay what people are asking right now. But if there IS a large correction following the movie releases, I may buy then, because I think they are solid long term books.

4 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Didn't Avengers #55 cool off a bit once Ultron came and went?  This also being a Silver Age book. 

It didn't cool off a bit, it dropped like a stone in almost all grades. 9.8s are hardish to come by, so those have held onto most of their value, but other grades are ~50-75% off of their highs. :eek: 

Just now, october said:

It didn't cool off a bit, it dropped like a stone in almost all grades. 9.8s are hardish to come by, so those have held onto most of their value, but other grades are ~50-75% off of their highs. :eek: 

That's what I thought.  I already have a mid grade, so I never got caught up in it.  
IM 55 - to me anyway- is severely overpriced, and is probably ripe for the biggest fall. 

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

That's what I thought.  I already have a mid grade, so I never got caught up in it.  
IM 55 - to me anyway- is severely overpriced, and is probably ripe for the biggest fall. 

Villain stuff never seems to hold up as well as the hero keys. Thanos in two movies will help though....at least for awhile. 

8 minutes ago, october said:

Villain stuff never seems to hold up as well as the hero keys. Thanos in two movies will help though....at least for awhile. 

That's because Ultron was a weak villain that got spanked hard by vision even. Avengers 2 was just weak and people hyping ultron is quite rare. While IM55 may tank, Thanos is up there with the best baddies Marvel has to offer. Plus IM55 is the first appearance of Drax as well who will likely continue on.

13 hours ago, Rezin1234 said:

That's because Ultron was a weak villain that got spanked hard by vision even. Avengers 2 was just weak and people hyping ultron is quite rare. While IM55 may tank, Thanos is up there with the best baddies Marvel has to offer. Plus IM55 is the first appearance of Drax as well who will likely continue on.

yeah, the movie didn't do that book any favors, for sure. It was a stinker. A stinker that made a ton of money, sure, but still a stinker, and I don't think it really endeared Ultron to any new fans. We'll see on IM55. Thanos may come off better, people may really dig him. The directors have said that Infinity War is Thanos' story, so maybe the character will strike a chord with viewers. Regardless, i agree with the feeling that this is the most vulnerable of the three, by a large margin.

9 hours ago, adampasz said:

GPA reporting a NNM #98 sold for $320 yesterday! Bursting bubble? Or just an outlier?

Hard to tell with 1 sale.  Low feedback seller with a low BIN on ebay?  Did the auction end at 3:08 AM on a Monday night?  Inexperienced seller with no information in the listing?  Case have a really bad crack in it?  Obnoxiously miswrapped?  Lots of variables are possible when you're just looking at a number on GPA.

3 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Hard to tell with 1 sale.  Low feedback seller with a low BIN on ebay?  Did the auction end at 3:08 AM on a Monday night?  Inexperienced seller with no information in the listing?  Case have a really bad crack in it?  Obnoxiously miswrapped?  Lots of variables are possible when you're just looking at a number on GPA.

Agreed. This is a very liquid book on Ebay - have been 4 sales of 9.6 (assume that's the GPA book you're referring to) since Mar 29, and they were in order of recency: $450 (Newsstand), $450, $472.50 (Newsstand), $435. Highly doubt this will drop before Deadpool 2 movie releases. What happens after the movie is anyone's guess, though unless it's a huge flop, I see it probably staying flattish.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

yeah, the movie didn't do that book any favors, for sure. It was a stinker. A stinker that made a ton of money, sure, but still a stinker, and I don't think it really endeared Ultron to any new fans. We'll see on IM55. Thanos may come off better, people may really dig him. The directors have said that Infinity War is Thanos' story, so maybe the character will strike a chord with viewers. Regardless, i agree with the feeling that this is the most vulnerable of the three, by a large margin.

I disagree.  I think NM 87 has the biggest chance of a huge adjustment.  NM 98 appears to be here to stay but Cable took a huge jump on the premise that Cable is going to be loved by the masses.  f he comes across flat then I see NM 87 buyers taking a bath.  IM 55 is a toughish book to find so even if Thanos is a dud you would think the books may level off and drop a bit but nothing drastic. 

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Definitely well put. I think ASM300 is the safest for not only being a hugely popular new character, but also being part of the beloved asm line and to top it all off its literally the defining art of Todd Mc who has a massive following. Asm300 has so much going for it that even if it wasn't a first appearance it could be highly valuable similar to batman 251. IM55 is risky for sure but NM98 might be equally as vulnerable, 1. NM98 has a much higher print run with tons of copies over 9.0 2. Deadpool 2 might suck 3. There might be a huge backlash from oversaturation for Deadpool where people get tired of the schtick.

But for right now yeah IM55 is prob the riskiest of the 3.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I disagree.  I think NM 87 has the biggest chance of a huge adjustment.  NM 98 appears to be here to stay but Cable took a huge jump on the premise that Cable is going to be loved by the masses.  f he comes across flat then I see NM 87 buyers taking a bath.  IM 55 is a toughish book to find so even if Thanos is a dud you would think the books may level off and drop a bit but nothing drastic. 

doh! Ugh, that's on me, I was talking about NM 98, not 87. Talking about 87, I'd agree with you absolutely. But I think 98 is firm.

Thanos will be around long after the movies, the best of the best Villains and has a cult following of his own, the movies only establish him even more. IM 55 is a huge key and will outlast them all.....mark my words

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

Just talked to my LCS, (great guy).  He said he is in the process of going through a friends collection of 30 long boxes (friend used to have a shop many years ago), he said so far he has pulled out 22 copies of NM #98. 

Yeah, it was heavily bought by LCSs back in the day because 1) Leifeld was a hot artist and more importantly 2) as a LCS owner who has owned his store since 1985 explained to me three years ago when he pulled a case of NM 98s out of storage, every store in town was speculating on cases of McFarlane, Lee, Leifeld, etc. books back then since it cost him just $0.625 CDN per copy at half cover (cover price was $1.00 US or $1.25 CDN for NM 98) for a book that you could sell through easily for $2 - $4 or more a week after release. 

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I disagree.  I think NM 87 has the biggest chance of a huge adjustment.  NM 98 appears to be here to stay but Cable took a huge jump on the premise that Cable is going to be loved by the masses.  f he comes across flat then I see NM 87 buyers taking a bath.

Yep. That was pretty much my thinking and I kind of panicked and decided to move my copy a few months ago.

I hope we're right about this so I can avoid chugging antacids a few years down the line.