• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Dallas 2018 Update...some pics

37 posts in this topic

Last a cosplayer who made it onto a cover :) and my brother surprised I finally care haha they never look like their picture :baiting:

That's all I got thanks for your patience...

And my Steve Erwin sketch of rouge...

20180408_125048.jpg

20180408_125001.jpg

20180408_115715.jpg

Steve Erwin was real polite, I asked if I could take a photo with him holding the Rouge, he says, "Why? So You can prove that I did it?"

THIS time I was able to say that it was my first ever sketch done at a con. I don't know what I'd say the next time :( I was a little afraid that I had turned him off.... he was so polite and willing to take my request, hopefully I can avoid being "rude" to a creator in the future....don't really know if I was this time, but who could mistake this for anyone but him with the Rouge hair ;) 

No Ink evidently, wasn't aware that was going to be that way, but a pleasant experience none the less (thumbsu

Fan Expo Dallas 2018-Sketch- Steve Erwin.jpg

It was a great show, and I'm still tired from the lack of sleep. I was only there Sat-Sun because I had to teach on Friday, but two days of this show is still well worth the trip.

A couple of observations:

I agree, quite a few dealers brought their A game. A particular thanks to @DvilleBookstore for an upgrade to my Tales to Astonish #1 (pic in the Pre-Hero thread in SA). We had strong sales at our booth with plenty of traffic all weekend. Some sales highlights: raw 8.0 copies of Werewolf by Night #32 and ASM #129, Superboy #68 G, X-Men #266 VF/VF+, a couple of ASM #252 and 361, lots of copies of ASM #798, lots of blank covers, and tons of Funko Pops (that craze continues to amaze me with its staying power).

The vendor area seemed smaller compared to last year, and aisles were also too narrow, which made getting around really difficult on Saturday. The celeb area was packed any time I saw it, and I am not sure how it was an improvement over last year. I have read/heard fewer complaints, so maybe it was.

I am really disappointed by next year's dates over Free Comic Book Day weekend. I am sure the convention center is to blame, but it still sucks. Any vendors that also have stores will have a really difficult decision to make regarding their plans.

4 minutes ago, mysterio said:

It was a great show, and I'm still tired from the lack of sleep. I was only there Sat-Sun because I had to teach on Friday, but two days of this show is still well worth the trip.

A couple of observations:

I agree, quite a few dealers brought their A game. A particular thanks to @DvilleBookstore for an upgrade to my Tales to Astonish #1 (pic in the Pre-Hero thread in SA). We had strong sales at our booth with plenty of traffic all weekend. Some sales highlights: raw 8.0 copies of Werewolf by Night #32 and ASM #129, Superboy #68 G, X-Men #266 VF/VF+, a couple of ASM #252 and 361, lots of copies of ASM #798, lots of blank covers, and tons of Funko Pops (that craze continues to amaze me with its staying power).

The vendor area seemed smaller compared to last year, and aisles were also too narrow, which made getting around really difficult on Saturday. The celeb area was packed any time I saw it, and I am not sure how it was an improvement over last year. I have read/heard fewer complaints, so maybe it was.

I am really disappointed by next year's dates over Free Comic Book Day weekend. I am sure the convention center is to blame, but it still sucks. Any vendors that also have stores will have a really difficult decision to make regarding their plans.

Congrats on the Sales :) !!! I mentioned my IH 181 cgc 3.0 to a few people, no biters on their own but Duncanville bookstore did give a grade that I'd probably end up with in a trade...

I agree about Saturday and the crowds! I know that the cosplay and the celebrities were "downstairs", so I think that cut down on pics in the middle of the aisle. With the Library being at the convention in Fan Expo's normal spot, it allowed there to be a different layout making a downstairs possible.

Also for celebrity photo op's, they no longer had to "yell" where to line up, but had a mic and speakers to announce, much more effective. 

Compared to the uncomfortable situations last year, overall a nice improvement. I especially liked the Affleck aspect, but wish it hadn't been such short notice.... I hope everyone had a good time! 

I was a little mystified when I saw the forms announcing the dates for 2019 as FCBD weekend should have been avoided at all costs. They work with what the facility has open. Now I need to propose some strategies to minimize the impact the con will have on Saturday May 4 FCBD events.