• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May auction
5 5

342 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Has anybody ever attended a Live Heritage auction ? If so, what is the procedure, do you just show up, do you need tickets ??? I can't find any detail on how to attend on the website. If you are there and win, do you take the books home with you ? Any info would be appreciated.

I heard that you need to have a certified and authorized letter from your bank stating that you have free cash of $100K in order to get through the front doors for one of their Live Auctions.  :D

Seriously though, I am quite sure that it is open to anybody who wants to attend, even though you might not be bidding on anything.  Don't actually believe that many people attends one of these actual live auctions.  Especially when they apparently had one down in San Diego about 10 years ago to coincide right with the SD Con and there were more Heritage people there than attendees for the auction.  Totally surprising considering that there is over 100,000 people down there for the con itself, and yet they only managed to get 20 to 30 of them to attend the live auction.  :whatthe:  :screwy:

If I was down there that year, I would have gone there simply for all of the free food and refreshments, especially considering how much it cost down there for the restaurants and the long line-ups during the convention.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

49 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Never attended live and don't know the procedure.  A call or an e-mail will probably provide the info.

In terms of picking up your winnings, the catalog states: "Lots will be available for pick-up immediately following the floor sessions Thursday, May 10 and Friday, May 11."

Just don't forget you will pay taxes if you pay and pick up winning lots there or any state HA is in.  I did it once and the taxes were more than the what the shipping fees would have been as I don't live in a HA state.  

48 minutes ago, telerites said:

Just don't forget you will pay taxes if you pay and pick up winning lots there or any state HA is in.  I did it once and the taxes were more than the what the shipping fees would have been as I don't live in a HA state.  

Unfortunately, I already pay taxes on my HA winnings. It sucks because it puts you at a serious 10% disadvantage to non HA state bidders.

7 hours ago, telerites said:

Rick I know this is like a student telling a professor something that they already know but here goes - I'm sure you know you can place snipe bids or use HA's live proxy bidding.  And more importantly, enjoy Honduras and have a safe trip.

I only bid live. No proxy bidding for me 

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Elitist :baiting:

Most of the time it’s because I don’t know what proxy it will take to Win. Bidding live allows me know what I have to bid. Reason snipe programs don’t work for me

9 hours ago, Arkadin said:

All bids overtaken.  So that raises an interesting question.

Do Heritage premium auctions make people automatically OVER bid Guide/GPA/recent prices because they know it's the only way to win a Heritage premium auction...

Or ....?

What does it take to actually win one of these? :flamed:

GPA prices are inclusive of BP, so if you make a bid at the GPA price, then it means you are paying 19.5% higher than the GPA price.

You have to look at how scarce your target book is, when the last GPA sale in grade was, etc. 

For a lot of books that I'm interested in, their last GPA sales in grade were at least 6-7 years ago, and quite a few were longer ago than that.  So GPA basically becomes meaningless.   

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Most of the time it’s because I don’t know what proxy it will take to Win. Bidding live allows me know what I have to bid. Reason snipe programs don’t work for me

I don't really understand this.  Are you saying that if you go into live bidding knowing that you're willing to pay up to $10k for a book, and someone else is willing to bid more than $10k, then your pre-auction limit of $10k automatically goes out the door and you will get into a bidding war?

Assuming that you're not this irrational, what's the difference with submitting a proxy bid with your max, and letting it ride?  If no one else is willing to bid higher, then you win, possibly below your max.  If someone else is willing to bid higher, then you lose, just like you would've done in the live bidding assuming you have good self-control. 

16 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I don't really understand this.  Are you saying that if you go into live bidding knowing that you're willing to pay up to $10k for a book, and someone else is willing to bid more than $10k, then your pre-auction limit of $10k automatically goes out the door and you will get into a bidding war?

Assuming that you're not this irrational, what's the difference with submitting a proxy bid with your max, and letting it ride?  If no one else is willing to bid higher, then you win, possibly below your max.  If someone else is willing to bid higher, then you lose, just like you would've done in the live bidding assuming you have good self-control. 

Correct. I don’t set a max I’m willing to pay if I want the book for my personal collection. I’m rational or irrational enough to bid live and make a decision what I’m willing to goto “live”. If I want it and I’m set on winning it, then I will outbid whomever at whatever to win ...that’s “rational” to me  

Now, when I’m just bidding on books for inventory /resale, then your method works fine ...

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

Sometimes just one more click wins it.

And if not, then there's always one more click, and if that doesn't win, you can always try another click ... and another click and ...

The perils of live bidding! :)

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

And if not, then there's always one more click, and if that doesn't win, you can always try another click ... and another click and ...

Just tape the red button until you win isn't that how it works lol

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Or the advantages of live bidding! 

12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Correct. I don’t set a max I’m willing to pay if I want the book for my personal collection. I’m rational or irrational enough to bid live and make a decision what I’m willing to goto “live”. If I want it and I’m set on winning it, then I will outbid whomever at whatever to win ...that’s “rational” to me  

I sense some punishment bidding in your future. :baiting:

38 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I sense some punishment bidding in your future. :baiting:

If only someone knew what I was bidding on lol