• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May auction
5 5

342 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Some buyer made out pretty well on the Planet #16. At least no multiples of guide.

I don't understand the soft prices this book gets. I think it's a wonderful cover, and the Mars splash is even better.

Those Mile High Police Comics were fantastic and I thought pretty reasonable all things considered.  I didn't take the plunge though.  Maybe I'll do better at the little kid's dinner table with the second part of this auction.  

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Some buyer made out pretty well on the Planet #16. At least no multiples of guide.

I was the under bidder on this. I already have a 5.0 and was looking to upgrade, but once it hit $1500 i had to let it go as that is starting to get up there for a book I already own a decent copy of so I guess it is all a matter of perspective. :blush:

1 hour ago, Electron said:

I don't understand the soft prices this book gets. I think it's a wonderful cover, and the Mars splash is even better.

it is the most easily found "rivet" cover Planet Comics.

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

$8,368,982.00 in a single day....with two days to go this auction should break $10,000,000 .00 we have come a long way, here in comic book fandom

So what's our hobby's annual revenue? This only includes the sales of back-issues (collecting); not including grading/pressing/restoration services, preservation supplies, sales of new content in a digital or analog format and, of course, the movies.

Figure comics are purchased for two basic reasons:

1. Placed in private collections (full sales amount would directly go to the bottom line). Example: I buy a book for for $3,500 and place it in my private collection for an extended period. That would equate to a $3,500 annual realized revenue.

2. Purchased as dealer/speculator/flipper stock to be resold later for a profit (cost would go to bottom line). Dealer bought a book for $3,000 and sold it later to me for $3,500. Realized revenue to the hobby until sold would be $3,000. 

Is this a $10 million annual revenue hobby? $25 million? $50 million? More? Just seems like some crazy money when you think about how many auctions, eBay/online sites, LCS, convention & private sales happen annually. 

-bc