• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May auction
5 5

342 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2018 at 2:15 PM, Junkdrawer said:

Spirit 22 CGC 9.6:popcorn:

Amazing :cloud9: But (OCD kicking in) it bugs me that the description reads "This unreal copy is tied with the Mile High copy for the highest grade ever awarded for the book." They sold the Church copy back in 2011 when it was still a 9.6, but it's since been upgraded to a 9.8.

Am I a fool to think the folks that will be bidding against me on this one will simply take that statement as truth?

I get a cheap thrill from chasing high-grade books and I'm generally willing to pay that much more when I know it's the highest graded copy out there. I guess I'm just hoping that others who do the same are also out there doing their research.

3 hours ago, jhm said:

Amazing :cloud9: But (OCD kicking in) it bugs me that the description reads "This unreal copy is tied with the Mile High copy for the highest grade ever awarded for the book." They sold the Church copy back in 2011 when it was still a 9.6, but it's since been upgraded to a 9.8.

Am I a fool to think the folks that will be bidding against me on this one will simply take that statement as truth?

I get a cheap thrill from chasing high-grade books and I'm generally willing to pay that much more when I know it's the highest graded copy out there. I guess I'm just hoping that others who do the same are also out there doing their research.

I think bidders on this book as well as Heritage know what’s really up. Shame they don’t correct it. Although I don’t think the outcome will change. I have an 8.0 so I’m I’ll be cheering from the stands. 

On 4/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, Robot Man said:

Oh, man, the Matt Bakers that he ordered and didn't get. Could you imagine getting all of those? At least we know what exists. I wasn't even aware that he collected romance books when I knew him. I do remember that him and Redbeard were way pickier than I was condition wise...

So far as I know, the Church copies of Pictorial Romances have never been graded, although perhaps some of the mid-grade copies (bought second-hand by Edgar?) may have been without being recognized as ped copies.

23 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

I think bidders on this book as well as Heritage know what’s really up. Shame they don’t correct it. Although I don’t think the outcome will change. I have an 8.0 so I’m I’ll be cheering from the stands. 

Sandoval's pretty good about making corrections when they're pointed to him.  Too late, of course, to correct the catalog entry.

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Sandoval's pretty good about making corrections when they're pointed to him.  Too late, of course, to correct the catalog entry.

Aah - great point. Email sent. Thanks!

All bids overtaken.  So that raises an interesting question.

Do Heritage premium auctions make people automatically OVER bid Guide/GPA/recent prices because they know it's the only way to win a Heritage premium auction...

Or ....?

What does it take to actually win one of these? :flamed:

Yet another heritage auction that falls on a travel day to Honduras. Two times in a row. Apparently my quarterly travel is in sync with the live auction. Cest la vie 

Edited by G.A.tor

12 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Yet another heritage auction that falls on a travel day to Honduras. Two times in a row. Apparently my quarterly travel is in sync without live auction. Cest la vie 

Rick I know this is like a student telling a professor something that they already know but here goes - I'm sure you know you can place snipe bids or use HA's live proxy bidding.  And more importantly, enjoy Honduras and have a safe trip.

Edited by telerites

38 minutes ago, Arkadin said:

Do Heritage premium auctions make people automatically OVER bid Guide/GPA/recent prices because they know it's the only way to win a Heritage premium auction...

Or ....?

For the first question, I always factor in the BP as I am placing a bid and although I do check GPA, I bid what I want depending how badly I may want the item.  I have set a few GPA highs knowing I would be doing so if I won but they were for books I really wanted and don't see often.

For the second question, the answer is the highest bid :shy:

49 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Yet another heritage auction that falls on a travel day to Honduras. Two times in a row. Apparently my quarterly travel is in sync without live auction. Cest la vie 

Use Gavelsnipe, dorkus. :baiting:

1 hour ago, Arkadin said:

Or ....?

I have never won a book on Heritage without paying significantly more than what I thought was a fair price. I've bought a few books I really wanted knowing that I would most likely take a loss if I needed to sell them within a few years. I got tired of playing that game and haven't picked up a book in a Heritage auction since 2015.

14 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I have never won a book on Heritage without paying significantly more than what I thought was a fair price. I've bought a few books I really wanted knowing that I would most likely take a loss if I needed to sell them within a few years. I got tired of playing that game and haven't picked up a book in a Heritage auction since 2015.

My results have been very mixed.  Some won for a low ball bid, some won in a bidding war. 

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

My results have been very mixed.  Some won for a low ball bid, some won in a bidding war. 

The books that are truly scarce, given the grade, usually go high; the more routine stuff seems to go for reasonable prices.

Seems like prices have started to move.  A few I was watching.

Detective 1 already at $13k, never owned a copy. at a high level would prefer a raw copy so I could flip through it.  :cloud9:

Batman 10 at just shy of $17k.  I had hoped it would go lower but wow, guess I will have to be content with my Selrick copy.

Batman 25 at $4.4k (I am certain this one is going higher but no idea where it will land).  I think this is a pretty nice copy but I don't really "need" it

Chamber of Chills 19 at only $5.5k.  classic cover.

Has anybody ever attended a Live Heritage auction ? If so, what is the procedure, do you just show up, do you need tickets ??? I can't find any detail on how to attend on the website. If you are there and win, do you take the books home with you ? Any info would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Has anybody ever attended a Live Heritage auction ? If so, what is the procedure, do you just show up, do you need tickets ??? I can't find any detail on how to attend on the website. If you are there and win, do you take the books home with you ? Any info would be appreciated.

Never attended live and don't know the procedure.  A call or an e-mail will probably provide the info.

In terms of picking up your winnings, the catalog states: "Lots will be available for pick-up immediately following the floor sessions Thursday, May 10 and Friday, May 11."