• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2022 at 12:32 PM, Straw-Man said:

i'm actually not a big fan of bp 1, but am a HUGE fan of subby--please, oh please don't mess him up too badly.

I think that while the first Black Panther is very overrated, it's also still pretty good. Again, I will note that Boseman's Black Panther not being a quip machine was a breath of fresh air. The formulaic 3rd Act (with poor VFX) is probably what weighs it down a lot for me.

I've only read a few of the reviews, but it sounds like the emotion hits hard and the actors do superb work.  A bit overstuffed and with some pacing problems as well. 

Sounds like a lot to like but also a near miss in some categories.  Metacritic 72 seems about right.

Very much looking forward to it -- Coogler's a talented dude, no question.

Dan

On 11/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Not allowed by whom?

my guess as to his thought process:   w.f. is about blacks/black empowerment.  to dismiss it as a bad film, the critic must be opposed to lifting up the race, at best, a white supremacist or racist at worst.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:05 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Not allowed by whom?

Disney, unfortunately. Based on past actions.

Disney actually blocked the LA Times for a period of time from attending any further prescreenings because the paper had written something bad about its labor practices. And this only turned around when the film critic community threatened to pan any further Disney movies until they lifted the ban.

THE NEW YORK TIMES: Disney Ends Ban on Los Angeles Times Amid Fierce Backlash

Disney has also taken action against creatives if it determines you are not a fan of its brand. Tarintino shared on Howard Stern recently how it taught him a lesson when he was rolling out The Hateful Eight.

And a recognized critic admitted on a show they will at times toss out fake positives so at to remain in a studio's good graces. Otherwise they are cut off from screenings later on for spite. Turned out he was referencing Disney, which fits the other two items above.

Or maybe this is all fictional.

Edited by Bosco685