• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask the “Blazing One”???
4 4

259 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, electricprune said:

Bob,

is it true that you and JJ were driving from Canada into the US once and JJ was denied entry for being too polite?

Thanks.

A tale from the road.  Sorry,  not true

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

in keeping in line with some of the questions asked in this thread...

can you please give me the secret recipe for Col Sanders Kentucky fried chicken..... 

Pancake batter with some spices.  

7 hours ago, blazingbob said:

My tribute to the "heritage" hog where you are led to slaughter with those very generous buyer and seller premiums.

I’ve wondered too

On 4/29/2018 at 11:21 AM, Red_Hood said:

My question, do you try to encourage people to price at FMV so not to undermine integrity?

For example, someone listing an Eternals #1 30¢ Price Variant for $6,000.

The best advice that Bob could give this potential consignor is not to post this picture of his Eternals #1:

On 4/26/2018 at 3:26 PM, batmiesta said:

EA48AD06-B625-4D12-8032-DC6DBA7141A6.thumb.jpeg.4123fd9c94d5ef0d06f9ce6a3081d09b.jpeg

After all, it's best to squeeze them out one at a time so that it gives the marketplace the impression that it is a truly rare variant that is being literally given away at the bargain basement price of only $6,000. :gossip:

That's the best way for him to realize his greater than a quarter million dollars on his hoard of Eternals #1's.  :flipbait:    lol

Edited by lou_fine

I agree,  not exactly a good poker player.  

I understand the need to show off a bit or get some "attaboys" but frankly it diminishes the need to rush right out and get one.

Which was one of the reasons as a collector I never put my collection in a registry set.   

Registry sets are basically ways for auction houses to easily calculate what your collection is worth and make offers.  

It also gives "certain sellers" an insight into what you are looking for.  If you are a Highest grade copy collector you might as well put a $$$$ target on your back. 

It is very hard to negotiate when basically your hand has been played for you.  And frankly you did it.

In addition it is very hard to trade doubles because there are those out there that only want your A copy. 

Edited by blazingbob

10 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Unfortunately, that lot ain't mine. 

Sorry, that was my bad as you had clearly stated in your original post that the lot belonged to ft88.

I guess I should have posted your original comment along with the picture. :foryou:

Just now, lou_fine said:

Sorry, that was my bad as you had clearly stated in your original post that the lot belonged to ft88.

I guess I should have posted your original comment along with the picture. :foryou:

No worries LF, I am still getting the hang of how this quote/multi quote thing works. o.O

hey Bob, 

Maybe you missed my question about behavior you dislike from attendees at cons (besides not buying something) that you find especially distasteful. Or maybe you did see it and just didn't feel the need to answer. 

Edited by NoMan

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well I'm sure he might have gotten a few PM's asking him to sell a few

9 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Well I'm sure he might have gotten a few PM's asking him to sell a few

He put a bunch up on E-Bay and you can check out the results since he was the only seller of 30 cent copies for awhile there.  I like how the first few copies sold for $50 - $60 but quickly escalated up to over $200 by the end.  Free money!

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:

hey Bob, 

Maybe you missed my question about behavior you dislike from attendees at cons (besides not buying something) that you find especially distasteful. Or maybe you did see it and just didn't feel the need to answer. 

I responded to your question on Monday

Bob, with all the movie mania, most recently buoyed by Black Panther and Infinity War, what do you see is the 5-year future of the comic-con scene, based on your recent (last few years) experience?  Do you see more growth in shows that are vintage comic book-focused or collector-focused?

7 hours ago, blazingbob said:

I agree,  not exactly a good poker player.  

I understand the need to show off a bit or get some "attaboys" but frankly it diminishes the need to rush right out and get one.

Which was one of the reasons as a collector I never put my collection in a registry set.   

Registry sets are basically ways for auction houses to easily calculate what your collection is worth and make offers.  

It also gives "certain sellers" an insight into what you are looking for.  If you are a Highest grade copy collector you might as well put a $$$$ target on your back. 

It is very hard to negotiate when basically your hand has been played for you.  And frankly you did it.

In addition it is very hard to trade doubles because there are those out there that only want your A copy. 

I’ve always appreciated your candor over the years.  And, while I mostly goof around here (and at various forum dinners), I’ve always tried to pay attention to your posts about the “how” and “why” of certain aspects of the hobby.  Your comments about the registry over the years have always stuck with me.  As well as your insights about the whole grading “game” and, especially, CPR.

You called it all so many years ago.  You said it was all mapped out. All anyone had to do was look at coins.  

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Bob,

Best baseball player you ever saw play?

Thoughts on Pete Rose ever getting into HOF and whether he should?

john

I'm not a big fan of Pete Rose getting into the Hall of Fame.

Not sure who would be the best baseball player I ever saw play.  I am not a Diehard eat, sleep and drink sports guy.