• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tragic end to comic fans life and a lesson
2 2

29 posts in this topic

Truly a tragedy, my condolences on the loss of your brother.  The heroin/fentanol crisis has hit very hard in my area, we have lost three people close to our family already this year.  My heart goes out to you and your family.

5 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This type of post is always sad.

I've gone back and forth over whether I should add this, but decided to go ahead. I grew up (...if it can be said that I ever truly did) during the 60's, 70's, and 80's...... and the drug culture was up and coming. It seemed like everyone tried something..... I even had teachers at school who were "cool". Over time I picked up quite the "monkey" and had devolved to a point that my own family members didn't welcome me in their homes.... I was just too wild and unpredictable. There were many signs along the way that I was on the wrong path..... I remember overdosing once, and luckily one of my friends had been an MP in the Air Force and knew CPR .....as he finally brought me back around I heard one of my other "friends" talking about how they hoped they weren't going to have to put me in the dumpster. Wow. That should have been a wake up call, but wasn't.

Finally after many years of bouncing around, sometimes on the streets, mooching(...etc.)..... I finally got a few months in jail and dried out. I was "sick and tired of being sick and tired", finally got a sponsor and worked ALL twelve steps.... that was almost 20 years ago that I became "clean and sober"..... and even though I pissed away over half my life, I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones. I don't know exactly when I started it, but I have this list in a spiral notebook of friends who lost their lives to "the life" .....I almost have a page filled now..... almost all were gone before they hit 50, many before they turned 30..... murders, OD's, suicides .... it can get ugly. One thing I remember about all these friends.... as it came to the end, they all wished they weren't that way but just couldn't seem to stop. They all knew that they were breaking the hearts of their families and friends but just couldn't put on the brakes.

The obituaries are one of the first things I check in the papers..... lost two more friends last month, and there just aren't many more left from my old life. I really don't know what to say..... but those support groups seem to help.... they even have groups for the family members who are struggling to cope. Sorry for the downer so early in the morning ...... but sometimes when you least expect it, your loved one might change..... I did. I remember my sister just started crying about a year after I sobered up..... said she couldn't believe she finally had her brother back...... I was like, "Sis..... I've been straight for over a year now ?"........ she said she just wasn't sure.... maybe it was more BS..... I also remember hearing about a good friend who OD'd at a party..... they just dragged him out to the back porch and kept right on with the party,they didn't want to deal with the Ambulance or Cops..... these were his "friends". Don't let that get the best of you..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thanks for sharing Jimbo, it's an inspiring story. My wife is also in recovery, 11 years sober now. I know it's not easy, and I have a ton of respect for folks who are able to dig themselves out of those depths, and great sympathy for those who aren't.

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks for sharing Jimbo, it's an inspiring story. My wife is also in recovery, 11 years sober now. I know it's not easy, and I have a ton of respect for folks who are able to dig themselves out of those depths, and great sympathy for those who aren't.

There's nothing worse than finding someone you care about dead..... Bravo to your Wife.....that "one day at a time" stuff works for some reason. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu