• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BUD PLANT QUITS SDCC AFTER 48 YEARS
1 1

58 posts in this topic

According to the "Times of San Diego" article and Bud Plants Facebook page--he is done...1970-2017...Amazon got him.. SDCC did not let in the real comic book collectors....He is still going to do little shows, but it's OVER...Folks, and I hate to say this....the SDCC Ain't what it used be...... Mile high said some interesting stuff also in the article about SDCC...Dylan said it best...the "times they are a changing" Thank you Bud for all the great books and browse time your booth gave me.

Edited by Mmehdy

Yep, and why I don't know. Terry can't be making any money with what he brings. I see him from time to time junking the flea markets and he says he still wants to do it. This might be it for him as well. I loved going through Bud's personal collection books. Always had something that will blow my mind. I will miss him too. Oh, wait a minute, I don't go any more either...

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yep, and why I don't know. Terry can't be making any money with what he brings. I see him from time to time junking the flea markets and he says he still wants to do it. This might be it for him as well. I loved going through Bud's personal collection books. Always had something that will blow my mind. I will miss him too. Oh, wait a minute, I don't go any more either...

Tickets are impossible and not given on the basis of prior attendance but by a lottery.....so I understand Bud's clients getting shut out...shows like Terry's of La, the real shows for collectors are supported by 90% true collectors...a problem is that what is being replaced for Bud Plants table is not comic or book related...we are slowly being shut out.

Apparently, most ALL of us are shut out Mitch. That article was very sad. SDCC cares so very little about us or even Bud anymore. They are so far away from what they say they are. Look at the money these "non profit" executives are making. A real shame they couldn't give Bud a free table after as long as he has supported this show. Just more bad PR for SDCC. Still say it's the best con in the world?

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

It makes Terry Stroud the last man standing...I think he has done every show

Terry Stroud must be grand-fathered into SDCC, as he quite often has a bedsheet thrown over his comic boxes on Sat. when he goes surfing unless Stephen is there to help him :nyah: vend.

4 hours ago, telerites said:

I don't blame him.  BTW, he still comes to OAFCON every year.  He and Mr. B seem to always have adjoining tables.  I always hit them first - two of the good people in the business.  

I picked up the Billy Wright copy of Exciting 2 from him last year at OAF.  Super nice guy.

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Apparently, most ALL of us are shut out Mitch. That article was very sad. SDCC cares so very little about us or even Bud anymore. They are so far away from what they say they are. Look at the money these "non profit" executives are making. A real shame they couldn't give Bud a free table after as long as he has supported this show. Just more bad PR for SDCC. Still say it's the best con in the world?

My heart says that Wondercon is the best con in the world, not too big and not too small, just right, 10 years from now who knows...SDCC is still in terms of heavyweights the "King" in my book, now of course each year the trend away from the people who created it and dont get me wrong, we had Frank Capra the famous director at a early SDCC that I remember, we always we a little different than the rest on this show.....my head says it is still SDCC

5 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I picked up the Billy Wright copy of Exciting 2 from him last year at OAF.  Super nice guy.

That's awesome.  I couldn't make it last year because of some problems. I used to order from his mail order catalog years ago and it was nice to finally meet him and he is a nice guy.  He is certainly a collector.   When I see him, he is usually box diving into GA books.

When does the Revolution begin?  Is this it?  Will we see less and less Comic Vendors at the larger Comic Cons, only to put together small shows back in the Hotel Conference rooms like the old days?   

It's obvious the larger cons are more about Movie and TV star appearances, and selling any available tables to cell phone hawkers and mini ninja sword replica makers, than comic vendors. 

We can only hope this is the start of a new era.  Back to basics shows. 

12 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

When does the Revolution begin?  Is this it?  Will we see less and less Comic Vendors at the larger Comic Cons, only to put together small shows back in the Hotel Conference rooms like the old days?   

It's obvious the larger cons are more about Movie and TV star appearances, and selling any available tables to cell phone hawkers and mini ninja sword replica makers, than comic vendors. 

The revolution is here, we just need to support and get the word out, so we can take back what we started. You don't have be out $10,000.00 for a table, hotel, flight etc to sell to true comic book collectors anymore, bigger is not better, and not necessary,   Terry's one day Ca con is a result of SDCC indifference and going for the Big buck...and when you are in the smaller con...there actually more collectors there, so what about 130,000 attendee's. If necessary, expand the SDCC to Tuesday-Sun, eliminate preview night go back in the data bass and comic book dealers or their own list of previous attendee's have a say for ONE day...special comic book collectors day, that is a way back to US. Once SDCC gets wind that we do have some power, they take notice, Support your local shows might be the answer. 

On a semi-related topic, any of you with a journalist bent, please, please, please, PLEASE sit down with Bud and talk about anything and everything you can about his experiences in the comic book business.

Please don't let his decades of experience pass without at least an attempt to record some of it.

He's 66 this year, and that may seem young, but you never know. The man is a giant in the comics distribution industry, with experience unparalleled by just about anyone. 

29 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

The problem is this revolution only hurts comic collectors. Not many dealers are going to travel with their inventories cross country for one or two day "hotel shows".  This really sucks when all you see are the same dealers at every show. At least the big shows attract the prime dealers.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

My heart says that Wondercon is the best con in the world, not too big and not too small, just right, 10 years from now who knows...SDCC is still in terms of heavyweights the "King" in my book, now of course each year the trend away from the people who created it and dont get me wrong, we had Frank Capra the famous director at a early SDCC that I remember, we always we a little different than the rest on this show.....my head says it is still SDCC

WonderCon is NOT even close to the "best con in the world". Always SDCC's poor stepchild. Usually a very good show but SDCC usually trumps it. How many other big cons do you or have you attended Mitch? Chicago, Baltimore, NY, Heroes, ECCC? Have you ever been to Terry O'Neil's show? I've never seen you there. I have been to all of them at least once except ECCC. All are very good. Generally on par with SDCC and most better than WonderCon. They are all suffering. None seem to be sinking as fast as SDCC comic book wise. The worst thing is SDCC no longer cares...

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

WonderCon is NOT even close to the "best con in the world". Always SDCC's poor stepchild. Usually a very good show but SDCC usually trumps it. How many other big cons do you or have you attended Mitch? Chicago, Baltimore, NY, Heroes, ECCC? Have you ever been to Terry O'Neil's show? I've never seen you there. I have been to all of them at least once except ECCC. All are very good. Generally on par with SDCC and most better than WonderCon. They are all suffering. None seem to be sinking as fast as SDCC comic book wise. The worst thing is SDCC no longer cares...

I agree SDCC does not care about true comic book collectors, however they do care about one thing the all mighty $$ and who will pay the most money for a table, SDCC still has the rep worldwide, and it does have the possibly of getting better or possibly bigger if the convention center ever expands, I purchased a few books from an old time collector that I  knew and my budget is almost done for the year, I will make SDCC, and possibly one other show, as you might know, I collect in other fields such as illustration art/pin-up that tends to distract me from attending more shows. I will be for sure at Terrys next show with the provision that I have $$ and have not spent them.

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wondercon is not even close to San Diego.  My wondercon sales are 25% of my SDCC sales.

I very rarely see the same customer base as I do in San Diego.    

It seems that a lot of West coast collectors don't like to travel to Anaheim or travel in general to come to the shows. 

Mascone in San Francisco seems to have a very bad attitude and almost extortionist type business model with the comic promoter and comic collecting community in general.  It seems that the collective "We" collectors/dealers bring no $$$$ to the city when the show is in San Francisco.  I'd love to meet the genius who thinks that.  I think that most collector's don't know how many hands are attempting or are getting into promoter's pockets when they run shows.  And this is not just a problem in the US.  I've heard some pretty interesting tales of "strong arming" in the UK.  

Terry's show is great but it is one day.  My expenses are very close for a 1 day or a multiple west coast show.  

Edited by blazingbob