• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Giant Size Appreciation Thread
7 7

275 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2021 at 6:42 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Pretty sure yes, without exception.  Feel free to post a picture of one that you think might not be.

Marvel Tales 3 and up are king sized books that came out bimonthly or monthly.  Marvel Superheroes 12 and 13 are king sized books but don't say king sized special on them. 

On 6/19/2022 at 8:11 PM, pickycollector said:

Not sure what you mean but all five come from the same source

is that the complete run of giant size defenders? (shrug)

As in I thought they were like annuals... finite number...

As oppose to the regular non GS ongoing defenders, hence why I thought they were like "annuals?" and in finite numbers, kind of like special editions.

I didn't think that there were more than 5 to 6 issues in Giant Size Defenders :shy: forgive my ignorance, but you'll save me a google search. :) I just assumed (thumbsu 

lol I thought the B-e-a-utiful gif would be well received, I didn't mean it as a bad thing hahahhaha

Seems I was straight forward and was paying a complete

lol I didn't get what was confusing, hope it was received well with clarifying. :cheers:

Was like, how is that confusing?

On 6/18/2022 at 12:26 PM, shadroch said:

Marvel Tales 3 and up are king sized books that came out bimonthly or monthly.  Marvel Superheroes 12 and 13 are king sized books but don't say king sized special on them. 

That's not what was asked.  There are plenty of examples of "king-sized books" including all the 25-cent square-bound issues of the normal runs such as ASM #102 or FF #116.

All the books that are labeled "King-Size Special" on the cover are, to the best of my knowledge, annuals.  The examples cited above don't fall into this category.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:01 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That's not what was asked.  There are plenty of examples of "king-sized books" including all the 25-cent square-bound issues of the normal runs such as ASM #102 or FF #116.

All the books that are labeled "King-Size Special" on the cover are, to the best of my knowledge, annuals.  The examples cited above don't fall into this category.

Marvel Tales 1 and 2 are described as annuals, with #2 being a king size special annual or words to that effect.  Issues 3 and up are the exact same format. I'd argue the page count is what makes them King Sized, not a banner on cover.  I've got about two dozen King Size Marvels. I've always kept them with the Marvel Tales, Marvel Super-Heroes, Fantasy Masterpieces.  All 25 cent books.   There is one month that all the books are king sized 25 cent, before going back to normal sized twenty cent covers. DC was trying the 52 page format and even thicker books before also going back to the fewer page format

On 6/20/2022 at 1:09 AM, shadroch said:

Marvel Tales 1 and 2 are described as annuals, with #2 being a king size special annual or words to that effect.  Issues 3 and up are the exact same format. I'd argue the page count is what makes them King Sized, not a banner on cover.  I've got about two dozen King Size Marvels. I've always kept them with the Marvel Tales, Marvel Super-Heroes, Fantasy Masterpieces.  All 25 cent books.   There is one month that all the books are king sized 25 cent, before going back to normal sized twenty cent covers. DC was trying the 52 page format and even thicker books before also going back to the fewer page format

For whatever reason you decided to quote something I said nearly a year ago without really understanding the context in which I said it.  This is a thread about the Marvel Giant-Size books and there was someone confusing the Giant-Size books with Annuals, etc., so I tried to make some helpful clarifications.  I don't remember all the details, and it doesn't really matter any more.

Whatever point it is you're trying to make has nothing to do with me, or really the original point of of this thread, so with all due respect I'd rather be left out of it.  :foryou:

There is no confusion. Some of the Giant sized books were annuals.  Look at Giant Size Iron Man #1.  It states on the cover it is an annual collection of IMs greatest stories.

Some GS books-  Spiderman, MOKF, FF, came out quarterly. Some were meant to come out annually and state so on the cover and some others seem to have been intended to be published on a regular basis but weren't.  Some contained new material and some didn't. 

Edited by shadroch