• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your beater Holy Grail !

672 posts in this topic

here's my beater: MMC# 53. it is missing chunks, no centerfold, couple of pages torn out, spine completely split but held together with tape. why did i pick this up? i wanted to read the inside of a wartime timely and see if the stories were as outrageous as the covers. i have seen very few scans of the stories since many of the timelys seem to be slabbed.

marvelmystery053.jpg

in the angel story, i found the nazis way of extracting information to be somewhat comical. i've seen a similar technique used in the wildfire story in smash 25 from the golden age collection thread.

mmc53pg.jpg

FYI - I was reading the Pure Imagination b&w reprints of MISS FURY and in #2 they actually BRAND A WOMAN ON THE FOREHEAD WITH A SWASTIKA!

Totally unreal. Still, it wasn't as funny as watching a guy get a whip to the FACE! :roflmao:

A couple of low-graders that were two of my grails. The Wonderworld is just a fabulous Fine cover - the detail is outrageous. For all of his super-hero covers, this is one that I have always thought to be one of his best. On the Exciting, other the Gerber no-show, it is just a great Schomburg cover. Both present well for the low grades.

wonderworld4.jpg

exciting28.jpg